Listening to NYPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

commslistener

Hi everyone,i am a newbie to the forums and listen from the UK.

I have recently more and more started listening to the NYPD SOD or NYPD Manhattan Citywide 1-3 Feeds on the site.Could someone explain to me what type of system and setup is used for the NYPD.I have heard they use repeaters that use selective receievers and there digital etc.I would imagine its a pretty big system.How many different frequencies is there for the NYPD and what is the main one(s)? I thought the Special Operations Division was the main one but the Manhattan citywide seems more busier.Also noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of 'carriers running' on the nypd feeds,Bit of a nuisance and you wonder if its a officers radio or jammers messing about.-I thought digtal radios could avoid this happening?

Our police force in the whole of UK went digital but they also encrypted the transmissions aswell,meaning we cant listen in at all.

I Like listening to the nypd on here and when i hear a call i cross reference it on GOOGLE EARTH so i can have a look at where its happening,and then let my imagination do the rest haha.Bit of a different/new hobby that doesnt involve me using one of my amateur radios/scanners etc.

thanks for any info.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
You can see the complexity of the NYPD system by checking out www.n2nov.net. You'll find the layout of the radios used here by FDNY/EMS as well as the PD. Its a voted reciever/repeater system that's nondigital and in the clear [as you know]. Not bad for the biggest terrorist target in the world! Were London's police radios encrypted when you had all thoes bombings? If they were, then I rest my case on how pointless encryption is.

n2nov

Each NYPD radio zone will have several precincts sharing the same frequency and there are multiple remote receivers scattered within the boundaries of that zone and in the next adjacent zone. This is so the officers can be heard when all they are using is an HT with 2 to 4 watts. The various Citywide zones have remote receivers scattered all over the five boroughs. All receivers are digitized, pumped back to the radio shop via wirelines & microwave and compared to each other for the best signal to noise ratio. The best signal is sent to the dispatcher ("central") and to the output of the repeater for that zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.