FDNY's new UHF & the chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the new 480MHz allocations are actively being used as proper repeaters in the field by the battalion & division chiefs. Is this correct?

I've noticed quite a lot recently that the chiefs have a very pronounced EOT MDC1200 burst that doesn't sound like it's being simulcast from VHF.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Chiefs vehicle and all new rigs have uhf radios. However the portable the aides use to talk with the dispatcher is VHF.

The uhf mobiles and VHF portables have mdc

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
What VHF portables are they using? Still sabers?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I haven't been following so forgive me if this is a redundant question. So what exactly is the deal with the FDNY UHF? Is the plan to migrate completely to the new UHF frequencies, and if so is this a conventional system?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I haven't been following so forgive me if this is a redundant question. So what exactly is the deal with the FDNY UHF? Is the plan to migrate completely to the new UHF frequencies, and if so is this a conventional system?

The fireground freqs are UHF and conventional.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Will the entire FDNY be moving to the UHF system, and ditching the VHF though at some point wherever in the future?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Yes. We will keep some limited VHF stuff for crossband repeaters and special building s

ansky

I've noticed at times that transmissions come through on UHF but not VHF. So if anyone is only monitoring the VHF frequencies you're probably missing a lot. Last week I was monitoring 154.25 and didn't hear anything for several hours, but I did hear dispatches over the Manhattan UHF freq so I assume 154.25 was off at the time.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
The issue with no reception on VHF has to be you. If we have a problem everyone moves. There is.no difference between VHF/uhf. We treat them as one

n2nov

Or better yet, right here in the RR DB

New York County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

The UHF frequencies have been in use for 2 years at this point, I don't think I'd refer to them as "Future" anymore lol.

I listed them as "future" on my site before I put them here on RR. They are still future because no trucks have been issued a UHF rig yet and these freqs are still in simulcast until that happens. Timeline is still stretching out into the "future" until they have the money and the decision to switch over all of the vehicles to UHF only.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I listed them as "future" on my site before I put them here on RR. They are still future because no trucks have been issued a UHF rig yet and these freqs are still in simulcast until that happens. Timeline is still stretching out into the "future" until they have the money and the decision to switch over all of the vehicles to UHF only.

Sorry, but your information is outdated. New rigs have been equipped with UHF mobiles for months now. The UHF system is fully online, the "future" is now.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but your information is outdated. New rigs have been equipped with UHF mobiles for months now. The UHF system is fully online, the "future" is now.

How many pieces of apparatus does FDNY have? How many do they replace with new trucks each year? When a "new" piece goes out of service for repair, does the replacement piece have new radios?

I think W2NOV's point was that this is a process that will take some time before it's complete. Until then, FDNY has to maintain two complete radio systems and we should be able to listen to them on VHF.

Driving through Rockland and Westchester Counties yesterday I heard VHF traffic quite clearly. The UHF channels still have that "hang up" issue, which makes listening to them a pain.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think W2NOV's point was that this is a process that will take some time before it's complete.

If that was his point, then this statement from him is a bit odd:

They are still future because no trucks have been issued a UHF rig yet and these freqs are still in simulcast until that happens.

Seems like his point was that none of the apparatus has a UHF radio yet, which is incorrect. In fact, Tommy stated clearly in post #2 of this very thread that there are UHF mobiles in use. :wink:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Let me be a little more clear about this, so we don't wind up engaging in a senseless back and forth.

The UHF system is very much "online and active", that is an unquestionable fact. There are units transmitting on UHF. This is not just a case of units transmitting on VHF and those transmissions being simulcast over the UHF frequencies. This has been going on for the better part of a year now.

Yes, the entire changeover process to UHF will take some time (although time is running out, the narrowband deadline is quickly approaching), but this is not some kind of "distant future" project that may or may not come to fruition. The gears have been in motion for quite some time.

Does that clear things up?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Anyone have any idea what the input PL's are? I have the posted frequencies in my radios but cant get in on UHF.

Thanks!

#1 - Why do you need the input PL's?

#2 - What exactly do you mean by "can't get in on UHF"?

I normally hate self-appointed "RadioReference Police", but without further clarification, your post reeks of something sketchy. Especially since you only have 1 post since you joined 7 years ago. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.