RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 9:02 AM
Silent Key
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default NYSP Low Band

I don't believe I have ever monitored any confirmed NYSP traffic on 42.14, but now I see that the Mayfield station was just licensed for 42.14.

Can anyone actually CONFIRM any recent NYSP traffic on this freq ? I have it in 2 radios, and all I have heard are stations in Missouri I believe.

Thank You
warthog1@citlink.net
Sponsored links

Old 12-19-2011, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog1 View Post
I don't believe I have ever monitored any confirmed NYSP traffic on 42.14, but now I see that the Mayfield station was just licensed for 42.14.

Can anyone actually CONFIRM any recent NYSP traffic on this freq ? I have it in 2 radios, and all I have heard are stations in Missouri I believe.

Thank You
Don, what callsign? I am interested to know if it is for regular voice base/mobile, or perhaps for some kind of data or telemetry system.

Edit: I found it - WNIA717 - FB only with 20K0F3E emissions. It's a renewal so I would venture that they've had it all along and just don't want to give up the license.

Last edited by SteveC0625; 12-19-2011 at 9:50 AM.. Reason: Found it!
Old 12-19-2011, 9:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Last I looked, they don't even have LB antennas on their cars anymore.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
Edit: I found it - WNIA717 - FB only with 20K0F3E emissions. It's a renewal so I would venture that they've had it all along and just don't want to give up the license.
As Steve notes, it's not new it's simply a renewal. Mayfield has been licensed on 42.14 since 1987, possible longer.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WNIA717 - STATE OF NEW YORK DIVISION OF STATE POLICE - Frequency 000042.14000000

The last new license grant for the NYSP on 42.14 was in 2001 for Troop A Batavia, call sign WPTV885.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0BDW View Post
Last I looked, they don't even have LB antennas on their cars anymore.
42.14 is/was generally a barracks to barracks base station frequency, having nothing to do with the mobiles.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ive had this in both my scanners for the past 2 years, and i never hear anything on the LB channel, but i know some stations still have the radios in them for it such as Lowville, NY. I think this would be used for station to staion to relay information if there was ever a failure of phone lines, and cell phones, or like a disaster happened that prevent 911 centers to relay information.
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
42.14 is/was generally a barracks to barracks base station frequency, having nothing to do with the mobiles.
I see. The fire service in my area has a base to base frequency as well, but you'll never hear anyone on it except for when we need more foreground channels and chatter spills over to it, or for training.
Old 12-20-2011, 7:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Practically no police services in NYS are using low band any more on a regular basis. Licenses are getting renewed automatically with other licenses that are actually being used. Nobody appears to be paying attention to the "hoarding" of unused channels.
Old 12-20-2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Practically no police services in NYS are using low band any more on a regular basis. Licenses are getting renewed automatically with other licenses that are actually being used. Nobody appears to be paying attention to the "hoarding" of unused channels.
Y2K hold overs from that bygone era?
Old 12-20-2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0untyb0y View Post
Y2K hold overs from that bygone era?
Probably nothing to do with Y2K at all. More likely, it is just one of hundreds (or more) licenses held by the NYSP and/or the State of NY. Some clerk in an office somewhere is tasked with keeping all their FCC licenses current and dutifully renews them every ten years.

I suspect that no one is looking at the big picture with frequency usage and FCC licensing within that agency, so unused channels just sit there all properly licensed and not being used.
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2011, 6:28 PM

It costs absolutely nothing to renew PW licenses, and only takes a few minutes to renew through the ULS. The FCC doesn't go around checking that you're actually using all of the frequencies you're licensed on. The result is that you wind up with literally countless frequencies being perpetually renewed that will never again be operated on by an agency.

A good example of this is Rockland County. You still have a few active licenses on the old 37 MHz PD frequencies, even though there hasn't been a low band base station* or mobile radio in any police station or car since the late 1980s.

*46 MHz fire radio notwithstanding
Old 12-26-2011, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
Probably nothing to do with Y2K at all. More likely, it is just one of hundreds (or more) licenses held by the NYSP and/or the State of NY. Some clerk in an office somewhere is tasked with keeping all their FCC licenses current and dutifully renews them every ten years.

I suspect that no one is looking at the big picture with frequency usage and FCC licensing within that agency, so unused channels just sit there all properly licensed and not being used.
heh... sounds like the typical state ignorance when it comes to someone actually checking things over before rubber stamping them into approval and then paying the exorbitant consultant fees on top of that!

see... I shoulda known better. Y2K actually sounded good and made sense, but this is New York we're dealing with here.
Old 12-26-2011, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0untyb0y View Post
heh... sounds like the typical state ignorance when it comes to someone actually checking things over before rubber stamping them into approval and then paying the exorbitant consultant fees on top of that!

see... I shoulda known better. Y2K actually sounded good and made sense, but this is New York we're dealing with here.
It costs nothing to renew public safety licenses. It can be done freely and in a matter of minutes via the FCC ULS.
Old 12-26-2011, 8:48 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

6, you are missing the point of the other posters. Yes, the actual renewal of the license with the Federal Communications Commission costs the agency nothing. But I myself am too familair with governments that pay high fees to outside vendors or contracted consultants who, in turn, are the ones who actually go into the ULS and renew the license for the agency - instead of making it a task of someone capable and already on staff within the agency (and, quite likely, more familair with the actual operational needs of the agency). In other words, a lot of taxpayer money is being spent to hire out a job that could often be better in-house - and for an end product that is often of poor quality.

Last edited by KC2zZe; 12-26-2011 at 8:54 AM..
Old 12-26-2011, 8:57 AM

Many of these agencies already have standing contracts with radio vendors and communications outfits that they would have regardless. A feature of those contracts is usually that the licenses will be renewed each year.

Let's also keep in mind that the bulk of the licenses that get renewed each year are not limited to a single frequency or band, but usually contain many/most of the frequencies an agency actively operates on. Therefore they would need to be renewed regardless. So the point could be made that a simple renewal, leaving the inactive frequencies intact, costs less than having an outside vendor process a modification to remove frequencies.

No points were missed by me, I assure you. It just so happens in this specific case that these licenses for the NYSP on 42.14 do happen to be on separate licenses. If you want to paint with a broad brush and suggest that every government agency in NYS is "wasting money" renewing licenses that contain inactive frequencies, I would disagree based on the point I just made in the previous paragraph.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:18 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I can confirm that there has never been any NYSP traffic on 42.14 recently, at least not here in western NY. I have it in my radios just in case, as it is listed as a station-to-station freq.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2011, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I recall hearing some NYSP traffic on 42.14 when I lived in Oneida Co. NY. That would have been Troop D. Oh... This may help: it was in the late 1960's. I was there until the 1970's and heard nothing after about 1969. 1980's? Well maybe, but...
Old 12-26-2011, 7:48 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A friend of my father's (who is 89 y/o) is a retired trooper and worked his way up through the rank in Troop D. I asked him about this frequency and he said it was used in the 1950s & 1960s into the very early 70s when everything was converted to high band.

Also, there is no low band base stations in SP-Herkimer, or on the Jordanville & Flat Rock towers (both in Herkimer County). No low band in SP-Marcy or SP-Remsen either.

The frequency just stays on the license that keeps getting renewed. Maybe somewhere it is being used. I'll have to plug it in to one of my scanners and set it to record.
Old 12-27-2011, 6:04 AM

nothing on Nassau & Suffolk Counties Long Island at all on this freq only 155.460 area
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/donm50_2/
Old 12-27-2011, 8:07 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I heard barracks-to-barracks traffic on it in Troop E in the 1990s.
Old 12-27-2011, 8:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default NYSP Low Band

Dave is right on. Makes sense if there is any use at all in the recent past it would have been barracks-to-barracks. I can recall having activity back in the 70's for sure there.