Long Island MEDCOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchappy

I recently acquired an old Uniden BCD950XLT (without a CTCSS board). I've been using it to monitor Southwest CMED in Connecticut, but since there's no CTCSS, I can also hear Long Island MEDCOM.

They still use analog EKG transmission over the air and I was wondering if there was some way to decode the signal on a computer to view the EKG? It sounds like they use a combination of tones, DTMF, and something else for the actual EKG data.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
What frequency are you hearing this off of?

And why would anyone want to decode a patients EKG? Odd and dabbles into the HIPPA Law violations.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What frequency are you hearing this off of?

And why would anyone want to decode a patients EKG? Odd and dabbles into the HIPPA Law violations.

Telemetry is broadcast over the MED channels.

Public Safety Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It's HIPAA, not HIPPA, and this has nothing to do with HIPAA at all. Private citizens monitoring radio frequencies are not governed by the HIPAA law. HIPAA governs health care providers.

Understanding Health Information Privacy

HIPAA - Frequently Asked Questions

ecps92

bezking

I recently acquired an old Uniden BCD950XLT (without a CTCSS board). I've been using it to monitor Southwest CMED in Connecticut, but since there's no CTCSS, I can also hear Long Island MEDCOM.

They still use analog EKG transmission over the air and I was wondering if there was some way to decode the signal on a computer to view the EKG? It sounds like they use a combination of tones, DTMF, and something else for the actual EKG data.
What frequencies are you hearing this on?

jchappy

First, it's not a HIPAA violation, as others have stated. HIPAA governs the actions of healthcare providers only. Besides, there are no patient demographics other than the age and sex of the patient transmitted over the air.

Second, I'm a medical student and I'd be interested to see the EKGs that correspond with the hospital patches.

I was just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to decode the signals, not just because I'd like to see the EKG, but I'm also curious as to the method of encoding/decoding the signal.

I'm not breaking any laws by doing this, and there's really nothing odd about it at all. Please do your research before attempting to criticize someone else's actions or intentions.

What frequencies are you hearing this on?
I've only heard this on 463.1000 (MED 5), but I can't speak for any other channels. The paramedic usually says something like "[Unit] on 5", and then someone from "MEDCOM" answers. Then the paramedic usually gives a brief report, may or may not ask for medication orders, and then may or may not transmit an EKG (which starts out with DTMF, and then various "whistling" sounds with DTMF interspersed occasionally).

bezking

Interesting. I'll see if I can hear this as well.

Guys, consider this an official warning - enough with the HIPAA stuff. Thanks.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure of the encoding scheme, but the device commonly used to transmit 12 lead EKG data from the monitor via radio is called a Rosetta. It's not like like old days, when you just plugged your LifePak 5 into the EKG jack of the med radio and sent lead 2. The Rosetta lets you send a full diagnostic 12 lead to the doc who can them print it and, if need be, use it as a tool to activate the cath lab.

If you do some research, you might be able to figure some stuff out.

http://www.general-devices.com/rosetta-lt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any spelling errors.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I was finally able to pick them up again...using PL 162.2 so it must be Nassau County.

Most Likely. Any MEDCOM channel I've ever heard from Nassau County has a 162.2PL. You're best bet would just be to lock that PL out instead of running CSQ if you want to block Nassau from your scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.