Need some honest advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have been getting a lot of flack from people on my blog that im putting officers in danger with having my feeds online.It is really bothering me to think that i actually might be putting someones life in danger from rebroadcasting the 19/23 and 109/111. I have those feeds online for us to listen to. Us meaning people in the hobby. I have no control over who gets to listen to it. I am really debating if i should just take them down. What do you guy think? I have a family just like these officers do.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Anonymous writes on your blog: ..".a. It shall be unlawful in the city of New York for any person to unscramble or decode or possess or use any instrument or article capable of unscrambling or decoding, scrambled or coded police broadcasts by radio or television, unless such person is duly authorized to do so by permit issued by the police commissioner of the city of New York."

We are not unscrambling or decoding. Everything is" in the clear".

I have been getting a lot of flack from people on my blog that im putting officers in danger with having my feeds online.It is really bothering me to think that i actually might be putting someones life in danger from rebroadcasting the 19/23 and 109/111. I have those feeds online for us to listen to. Us meaning people in the hobby. I have no control over who gets to listen to it. I am really debating if i should just take them down. What do you guy think? I have a family just like these officers do.

You are fine my friend. News outlets, traffic reporting agencies and others use scanners to gather news. Police and Fire agencies do not normally make it a habit of calling news and traffic media in the heat of the battle so to speak. This is the exact way how news and traffic are able to report Breaking News stories and report interstates being shut down due to an accident. What you are doing is NOT illegal as it is not in your vehicle (Statutes in some states such as here in Florida). Keep on doing what your doing and don't worry about the haters.

abbadabbado

nypd feed

my opinion only maybe just do what your gut tells you to do. or treat others the way you would you would your family treated. i can honestly say sence district 1 is not on the web now i am hearing more interesting traffic on my scanner. in pasco county

SCPD

QRT
I treat everone fair and with respect. On here and in real life. If you push me by mistake i say sorry but if you push me agan i will stick you in a hole. Im not worried about if its legal its more the moral end if an officer got hurt.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Are news crews reporting live from where police are putting officers in danger? Nope
Are your feeds, that have a slight delay, putting officers in danger? Nope

You keep doing what your doing and keep running your feeds. If a few jack asses don't like it, well too bad. If these same jack asses are going to post crap like unlawful unscramble or decode or possess or use any instrument or article capable of unscrambling or decoding, scrambled or coded police broadcasts, well, they haven't a clue about anything..

Block their ip addresses and prevent them from posting on your blog..

SCPD

QRT
I know they are Jerk O**s but it just had me thinking about the whole fact that i might be putting an officer in some kind of danger. I have a boat load of 109 cops that listen to my feed and they are ok with it. Its the whole safety part that has me concerned.

Ohh and BTW thanks for the support everyone.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, as long as the officers are fine with it, than there is no problem. Everyone has an opinion, so just because a few idiots give you a hard time, that shouldn't phase you.

After all, how many feeds are on the RadioReference site alone that rebroadcast police traffic?

jackj

xeno194, if I were in your shoes and had any doubt at all, I would stop the feed. What you are doing is legal, so I wouldn't worry about that. Is it moral? That is the question I would need to answer and, until I decided that question, I wouldn't engage in that activity.

That said, I have been monitoring police and fire communications for over 40 yrs and I can't remember EVER hearing anything that would place an officer's life in danger. No police agency today broadcasts any sensitive information in the clear. They either use cell phones or encryption of some sort. As long as you don't supply any encrypted information you should have no moral questions about your activity.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

Put this in perspective for yourself. How many thousands of scanners are already in use in your area? How many thousands (or even millions) of scanners are already in use across the country?

Your feed doesn't alter the numbers by much if at all. People have been listening to police, fire, and ems radio traffic for a long, long time. Federal law allows it and court cases have affirmed it.

If the police really wanted to have privacy, they'd encrypt.

The folks posting all this negative stuff on your blog really have not got a clue about police and public safety radio. If they did, you would not be hearing from them like this.

Final thought.... By blogging about your feed and allowing comments, you've opened the door to every crackpot and kook with a computer who wants to use your blog as a platform for their foolishness. You may want to rethink what topics you blog about and whether to allow commentary or not. But that's a personal choice. By allowing commentary, you have to accept the good with the bad. Don't feel that you have to defend every time someone whines either. If you try to do that, you're just inviting further commentary. Sometimes it's good to let these things run their course and end all by themselves.

NYRHKY94

Hi Mike:

I would have to agree whole heartedly with all of the other guys that you are not doing anything personally that would put officers in danger. The other posts have stated the many reason why.....and there are even more to back that up. Not that it's any of my business, but I would get rid of the blog first before I would get rid of the feeds. Just my opinion.

Thanks for being a feed volunteer and stand up guy.

Regards - Mike

D

DaveNF2G

There are a frightening number of people in our society who carry their rights in their hand, arm outstretched, eager to surrender them to the government.

The police are in no more danger from Internet streaming than from their original use of 2-way radio that produces what is being streamed. If someone means officers harm, chances are the ones listening via Internet are even further away than any geniune local threats.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX8-51) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

rafdav said:
putting any LEOs lives at risk. As others' have mentioned, I've got to agree with them. By chance, do you have a delay on your broadcast? You could go that route and feel more at peace.

Not sure of the exact times, but most feeds have a delay.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
putting any LEOs lives at risk. As others' have mentioned, I've got to agree with them. By chance, do you have a delay on your broadcast? You could go that route and feel more at peace.

There are some small inherent delays in the feed system, and they can vary depending on several factors that are not user controlable, but intentional delays added by the feed provider are not allowed on Radio Reference feeds;

http://forums.radioreference.com/st...lay-first-responder-safety-5.html#post1603799

Spec

In some cases a perps monitoring of radio transmissions can put an officer in danger, but those are very small. I speak from a law enforcement background of more than 30 years. An officer is taught to use his training in all situations. A good officer does. Now not all incidents can be avoided regarding officer safety. One of those are falling meteors. There are many way ways a person can now listen to radio transmissions , phone app., scanners and even miss placed PD radios just to name a few. Good tactics applied accordingly are an officers best friend. Worrying about who's listening is not my main worry...it's that hidden weapon. If you feel it might be an issue let your conscious be your guide...do nothing, put a delay or don't stream. In any case I really don't think you should lose sleep over it. Remember this however, the radio salesman is using this type of argument each time he goes to sell some more bells and whistles to an uninformed department head.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Every time I taught a class of newly hired police officers or newly hired dispatchers, I always emphasized that everyone has a scanner these days. I told them that not only are their coworkers on both sides of the mic listening all the time, but so are everyone's supervisors, police chiefs, 911 bosses, a whole of tape recorders, and the entire public. We spent a lot of time in class dealing with issues like proper behavior and communications etiquette. Those problems were much more common and troublesome for all concerned than any fears about officer safety from a suspect with a scanner.

The subject of the bad guys with scanners always came up, but the only time we ever had actual problems was the occasional gang of thieves who used scanners to listen for police dispatches so that they could be far, far away when officers were sent to investigate a burglary or larceny in progress. But they were usually too confident for their own good and bragged about the scanners. Sooner or later someone would drop a dime on them. Once we (police and dispatch) knew what was happening, we would dispatch everything by phone, or in more recent times, silent dispatch via MDT or by cell phone. They'd get caught every time.

Those that are hollering about endangering officers by providing a RR feed really have no clue what public safety communications and law enforcement training and procedures are all about. They're right up there with the nuts that think it's easy to shoot a gun out of the hand of a suspect when he's pointing it at someone.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Mike:

I'm with the other members here and want to say to you....continue with the feeds and discontinue the blogs since the blogs are the only way the wackos can get to you. I don't believe that you're putting anyone at risk. If criminals are using the feeds, I would suggest that the reason is so they can be long gone by the time law enforcement arrives on scene.

Please keep the feeds going. BTW, that's a mighty good looking tie!

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.