Feed is going offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Im going to be taking down the 17th mtn & mts feed. I can not get a decent signal from my location and my antenna. I dont have the time to go up on the roof and add another antenna. I will replace it with something else so im asking you guys what would you like me to feed? Give me some ideas and i will make sure i get them full quite before it goes live.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mike, I really appreciate you giving it your best. I monitored that feed often, as I'm often up on the upper east side and familiar with the area,

Anyone who has coverage of MTN/MTS/17pct and would like to provide this feed, let me know. We'll provide the radio. Additionally, anyone that can provide other coverage for Manhattan please let me know. We currently have 8 radios sitting on the shelf earmarked for Manhattan feed providers.

Contact me at lindsay@radioreference.com

Thanks!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I wish i knew you were giving out radios before i decided to spend almost a $1000 on feed equipment :) Big L what Manhattan stuff is available and i will see if i get them crystal clear over here.

Last edited:

azraphale

If you need, I have a number of MA/COM EDACS 500M radios programmed for all the sites of the Port Authority trunked system as well as the METRO-21 system which are for sale. I'd make you a package price if you needed hardware for your feeds. Contact me privately if you're interested.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Mike where are you located? Where I live on Poughkeepsie I can get 17,MTn on a HT1250 just sitting on my dresser

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX8-51) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Mike, im in the car at the moment, i will post a home brew antenna thats small and for me, from east islip ny , lets me listen to nypd from my front step. I will try the pct in your feed later today.

k2hz

Database Admin
Xeno, if you want to keep the feed and can spend some money...(dont know if you can) this pre-amp made all the difference in the world for my NYC feeds.

https://www.scannermaster.com/WRP_1300_Pre_Amplifier_for_Wideband_Scanners_p/28-531167.htm

I have been advising Mike on suggestions to solve his problem but a preamp is not the the solution for him. He has a discone antenna in a location surrounded by higher buildings so the problem is multipath reflections, not signal strength. That is why it sounds great at times and there is no signal at other times as the reflection conditions change. A broadband preamp is likely to only make thing worse, especially in a high RF envionment in the city.

The only solution likely to help was to get a directional antenna like a yagi up on the highest point of his building and aim it for best reception. Mike apparently concluded that this was more trouble that it was worth for him to attempt, particularly since there was no assurance it would totally solve the problem. I think that was a reasonable conclusion and I support his decision.

Unfortunately, he is just in a bad location to receive Midtown. I hope someone in a better location can step forward to do the feed. Mike is doing a great job with his other feeds and he is to be commended for all the effort he put into this.

His part of Queens is probably the worst location to receive signals from the Midtown area. Across the river in NJ or up the river in the Bronx or Westchester may have a better shot at it like someone in Poughkeepsie mentioned.

SCPD

QRT
I really do appreciate everyone's help/advice. Sorry if i let anyone down by taking that one feed offline. I really did sound horrible. I got a lot of help from people and even equipment to get it online. I replaced everything from the feed computer to the soundcards for all the feeds and even all the coaxial cable. It was not meant to be. The Port Authority feed will be up in about a week. I just don't know how I'm going to get the text id 's to show up on the feed. (Using a loaned gre psr-400)

azraphale

I'd sell you my BCT-15 but then my own feed would have no tags (and none of the trunked traffic, either). I wish there was a way to get the text out of the MA/COM EDACS 500M mobile radios into ScannerCast, as they can even track LIDs and tell you what unit is transmitting.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I really do appreciate everyone's help/advice. Sorry if i let anyone down by taking that one feed offline. I really did sound horrible. I got a lot of help from people and even equipment to get it online. I replaced everything from the feed computer to the soundcards for all the feeds and even all the coaxial cable. It was not meant to be. The Port Authority feed will be up in about a week. I just don't know how I'm going to get the text id 's to show up on the feed. (Using a loaned gre psr-400)

I wouldn't say you let anyone down. You tried several different things and nothing really worked. That's not your fault. Luckily I can hear MTN 17 MTS from my current qth in Poughkeepsie. I can pretty much hear all of the Manhattan zones and even SOD and CW1&2 on a portable with just a rubber duck. Don't beat your self up. There is plenty of other stuff out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.