RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Question Oneida County info ?

Can anyone provide me the Hamilton College security frequency ?
Old 08-22-2012, 1:11 PM

Looking at their three FCC licenses (WNGZ915, WQFU357 and WQPR464), it looks like they're using MOTOTRBO. Have a look at the licenses, plug in the frequencies, and see what you come up with.
Old 08-22-2012, 1:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks, I'm not there. My nephew goes there and wanted a scanner that would pick up the local fire police and campus radio traffic. But MOTOTRBO is a no go for that plan. Thanks, Jim
Old 08-22-2012, 1:22 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While a current scanner could not decode MOTOTRBO, you could put in a discriminator tap on an older scanner and use DSD to do it (just click on the blue text for the wiki article) . Not pretty but it could work...Mike
Old 08-22-2012, 1:24 PM

Jim,

Here are the frequencies they have licensed, most of them TRBO, a few FM narrow. Might be worth him plugging them into a scanner and seeing if he can hear anything.

151.5275 - 7K60FXE - FB2
151.5650 - 7K60FXE - MO
151.7450 - 7K60FXE - MO
151.8350 - 7K60FXE - FB2/MO
154.5400 - 7K60FXE - MO
154.6250 - 11K2F3E - FB
159.6225 - 7K60FXE - FX1/MO
159.6300 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.6900 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.7500 - 11K2F3E - MO
159.9450 - 11K2F3E - MO
160.0500 - 7K60FXE - MO
160.1025 - 7K60FXE - MO
160.1100 - 11K2F3E - FB/MO
160.2000 - 11K2F3E - MO
464.8750 - 7K60FXE - FB/MO
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2012, 7:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

their dispatch channel is Digital, but their secondary channels are analog.
Old 08-22-2012, 8:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboyle View Post
Thanks, I'm not there. My nephew goes there and wanted a scanner that would pick up the local fire police and campus radio traffic. But MOTOTRBO is a no go for that plan. Thanks, Jim
College channels aside, Clinton Fire (154.340 MHz) covers the college and campus safety communicates with the fire department on that channel whenever there is an automatic fire alarm. Kirkland PD (154.815 MHz) also covers the town & village. The rest of the county public safety outside of Rome City are VHF analog so there is still plenty to hear in Oneida County.
Old 08-23-2012, 2:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Not to mention that from a public safety stand point, the college would probably say no to the scanner, and say that it could be used for monitoring the campus safety channels, and possibly illegal activities. If he/she has a roommate, and someone leaves the door unlocked, its up for grabs.
Old 08-23-2012, 5:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummingswoodservice View Post
Not to mention that from a public safety stand point, the college would probably say no to the scanner, and say that it could be used for monitoring the campus safety channels, and possibly illegal activities. If he/she has a roommate, and someone leaves the door unlocked, its up for grabs.
I had a scanner when I went to college. It did annoy my roommate so I had to turn it off (to keep the peace) but I was never hassled by campus safety about it nor was I ever worried if it fell into the wrong hands. And if it did, what could happen? Bad guys now know when campus safety has their coffee breaks? Plus, mind you, Internet scanners are available and the college kids can get that on their smartphone. What if their phone gets stolen???
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummingswoodservice View Post
It's unlikely they would even know what a scanner is, much less care if some kid had one in his dorm room. Many campuses house students who volunteer with the campus or local area EMS squad or fire dept, and they all have pagers and/or scanners. Show me a clear example of where any university or college has a specific "no police/radio scanners" policy, then maybe your post has some merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0untyb0y View Post
I had a scanner when I went to college. It did annoy my roommate so I had to turn it off (to keep the peace) but I was never hassled by campus safety about it nor was I ever worried if it fell into the wrong hands. And if it did, what could happen? Bad guys now know when campus safety has their coffee breaks? Plus, mind you, Internet scanners are available and the college kids can get that on their smartphone. What if their phone gets stolen???
^ What he said.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The kid is curious about radios, and likes to listen to mine (Scanners & Han Radio) when he comes to visit NC. I was thinking of sending him back with a cheap used scanner off e-bay. It probably won't work out, his primary interest is monitoring the campus security to hear what's going on and who is getting in trouble for what. It makes for good gossip. I thank all involved for their input and time taken to post.