Problems with NYCOMCO EDACS Schunnenunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azraphale

Now that I've moved to a location where I can pick up the Schunnenunk tower, I've been noticing a problem.

I think it may be incorrect LCNs. Often I will get a lock on a talkgroup off the Schunnenunk tower, but the audio will sound like control channel digital data. About one time in ten or so, halfway through the transmission, it will switch over to voice, although my BCT-15 does not appear to indicate another channel becoming active during the transmission. I get a full display of TGID info and group on the display when it locks onto a channel, which is odd. And about one time in 15, I get regular audio as if everything is functioning properly.

I've checked and rechecked my programming again the database and it all matches. I have no problems with any other towers on the NYCOMCO EDACS system, so it's isolated to the Schunnenunk tower. The only real clue I can find is that according to my BCT-15, all the other towers nearly always use LCN 1 as the control channel at all times. The Schunnenunk system seems to be using LCN 4 almost exclusively as the control channel, which while not impossible, seems odd given the programming of the other towers.

Anyone out there that can confirm or correct the info in the database for the Schunnenunk tower, and/or give me any ideas about what might be going on? I'm half ready to just lock the tower entirely out of my scanner.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just to be clear, the CC's are not always LCN01 for this system. I listen to the system regularly, multiple sites, and they jump around from time to time. 857.1125 (LCN04) is the current CC for Schunnemunk, I just checked it. You can verify this by holding on that frequency within the system in the BCT15, and it will display the Site ID (SID: 08)

Now, this "digital noise" you're hearing, are you getting it on a particular TG or LCN, or just random? Make sure the scanner is in display mode 1 and pay attention to the voice channel frequencies that display, noting which ones are coming up when you hear this "noise".

For the record, I'm listening to the system right now and it's tracking just fine. All LCN's appear correct.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I just sat on Blooming Grove PD's TG for the past 15 minutes and watched it cycle through all four voice channels without missing any of the conversation, and I never heard any "digital noise". As I previously stated, the active CC is indeed 857.1125 (LCN04).

The database is correct.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'm tracking Schunnemunk fine and can confirm what Chauffeur6 said.

radioman2001...no provoice on the system. A few select Investigator/Detective talkgroups and some DTF talkgroups run Aegis, but that's about it. An no encryption on the Aegis...I hear them clear as day on my 700P and M7100.

azraphale

Funny thing, it seems to have gone away, and I have not touched the programming on the radio, and double-checked the programming in my software.

It was not limited to any particular TGID, but never gave audio without showing a TGID info on the display, and when it would switch over t audio, the audio was correct for the TGID.,

Ya got me on what was going on. I don't think I even power cycled the scanner, so I don't think it was a firmware or software glitch on my end. Weirdest thing I've seen in a while.

If it repeats I'll post as soon as it starts in case anyone else can replicate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.