RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 6:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default P25 on GMRS 462.550 near Albany?

I've been hearing P25 activity, NAC 297, on the GMRS channel 462.550 in the Albany area. At first it sounded like a law enforcement talk, based on discussions of vehicles (e.g. The Audi was going fast, get that one)...but then I also heard comms such as drop off the visitor sign in forms at the business center. That sounds more like a facility. I'm thinking maybe a security operations, perhaps a college or school campus?

I heard one 900 series call sign, being requested to return to base.

The signal is weak and sometimes I get poor decode, so it's not close. I did hear one reference to a road by route number...I didn't write it down, but I didn't recongize it at all...so I'm thinking this could be Mass or VT.

I checked the FCC for a grandfathered license and nothing found. (Although I doubt they could legally run P25 anyway, as that would have required a license mod and I think grandfathering only allows renewals).

Anyone else hearing this? I don't *think* this is the "Albany County Assistance" group.

Last edited by Thunderknight; 01-17-2013 at 7:19 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2013, 7:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I couldn't find anything at all except for 2 expired licenses in NYC. Doubt it was that. Could it possibly be a bleed over? Are their any schools in your area that use digital? Just a thought?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

P25 is not legal on GMRS

As for the FCC, other than Grandfathered licenses, you won't find them by Frequency anymore as a GMRS licenses gives you all Frequencies now.

What make/model Scanner ?

Could it be an image ??
$297 is the NAC for [in your back yard]
a.) VHF VA Hosp Maint 164.0625
b.) UHF/380 Watervliet Arsenal 380.7500 and 385.5250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
I've been hearing P25 activity, NAC 297, on the GMRS channel 462.550 in the Albany area. At first it sounded like a law enforcement talk, based on discussions of vehicles (e.g. The Audi was going fast, get that one)...but then I also heard comms such as drop off the visitor sign in forms at the business center. That sounds more like a facility. I'm thinking maybe a security operations, perhaps a college or school campus?

I heard one 900 series call sign, being requested to return to base.

The signal is weak and sometimes I get poor decode, so it's not close. I did hear one reference to a road by route number...I didn't write it down, but I didn't recongize it at all...so I'm thinking this could be Mass or VT.

I checked the FCC for a grandfathered license and nothing found. (Although I doubt they could legally run P25 anyway, as that would have required a license mod and I think grandfathering only allows renewals).

Anyone else hearing this? I don't *think* this is the "Albany County Assistance" group.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have heard this repeater too on 462.550. Thunderknight's observations are same as mine. Troy area for me, but have heard it in Schenectady, Latham, etc too. I would add that i hear activity sometimes in evenings, and always before wx storm (before Sandy, snowstorms, etc). I am using old school Pro-2005 with discone on roof in Troy, so nothing high tech here.
Old 01-17-2013, 2:50 PM

I shutter to think someone would have another illegal radio set up in the albany area....cant be
Sponsored links

Old 01-17-2013, 5:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2hpw View Post
I have heard this repeater too on 462.550. Thunderknight's observations are same as mine. Troy area for me, but have heard it in Schenectady, Latham, etc too. I would add that i hear activity sometimes in evenings, and always before wx storm (before Sandy, snowstorms, etc). I am using old school Pro-2005 with discone on roof in Troy, so nothing high tech here.
This couldn't be the same one, if you are using a Pro-2005 since that is analog only. What I am hearing is P25 digital.
What you are hearing is probably the Albany County Assistance (I think that is what they call themselves). They are analog. I think those are the ones who broadcast weather alerts, refer to dispatcher numbers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92
Could it be an image ??
$297 is the NAC for [in your back yard]
a.) VHF VA Hosp Maint 164.0625
b.) UHF/380 Watervliet Arsenal 380.7500 and 385.5250
I'll check those with a second scanner and see what happens. I doubt it's maint based on the comms, but Arsenal security is a possibility.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks Thunderknight. Yes that sounds like what I'm hearing.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Even though the pro 2005 is analog only you can still tell whether if the transmission coming across are digital or not. P25 makes a distinctive sound when monitoring in analog mode. He might not being hearing what it said but you can easily tell if its a digital signal.
Old 01-19-2013, 7:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The Arsenal has been known to splatter a lot of frequencies with recoverable P25 audio since the 380 meg system was installed.

I have permission (as Unit 914) to use the Albany County Assistance repeater and it is not P25 capable.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2013, 7:37 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I have permission (as Unit 914) to use the Albany County Assistance repeater and it is not P25 capable.
What is that frequency?
Old 01-22-2013, 8:37 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As in the op, 462.550.