RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilcox1951 View Post
Now for my question...can I enter control channels for both systems in the same TSYS?
You can, but it's not going to work the way you're thinking it will.

The trouble with trunked systems in GRE scanners is that a set of talkgroups can only be assigned to a single TSYS object. If you want to scan a single system that has more than one site and shares the same talkgroups, you have to create two TSYS objects and duplicate the talkgroups. The reason you can't just dump all of the control channels for both sites into the same TSYS is because the scanner will always lock onto the first control channel signal it finds, ignoring the rest of the frequencies in the TSYS.

Uniden scanners don't have this issue, they allow for multiple sites to be put in the same system, with a single set of talkgroups shared between all sites within that system.

Last edited by Chauffeur6; 02-01-2013 at 11:20 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thank you. A concise, easy to understand answer.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
The trouble with trunked systems in GRE scanners is that a set of talkgroups can only be assigned to a single TSYS object. If you want to scan a single system that has more than one site and shares the same talkgroups, you have to create two TSYS objects and duplicate the talkgroups. The reason you can't just dump all of the control channels for both sites into the same TSYS is because the scanner will always lock onto the first control channel signal it finds, ignoring the rest of the frequencies in the TSYS.
I thought with Multi-Site Roam set to Stationary and Check all CC's set to On, it would step through each CC it found? (I'm speaking about a 106/197, I don't think the poster said which GRE he had).
Old 02-01-2013, 1:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's a PSR-600. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1RBI View Post
For the PRO-2096 the correct tap point is TP-5. YMMV.

I'd expect you should already know that a series DC-block disc capacitor would be Highly Advisable as well.

Connect the resulting 455 KC IF signal to your favorite SDR :-)

Max
Unfortunately, I don't have one of those. What is the tap point called? IOW, where in the receive chain is the tap located?

I haven't found an SDR yet that tunes below 2 megs, either, but I'm guessing you mean one of the more expensive models like a Winradio.
Sponsored links
Old 02-02-2013, 2:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
I haven't found an SDR yet that tunes below 2 megs, either, but I'm guessing you mean one of the more expensive models like a Winradio.
An SDR that tunes below 2 MHz?
These do:
SDR-IQ.
LF versions of the Softrock (kit).
Cross Country Wireless's SDR (they even sell an offset version for 455 kHz tuning)

I'm sure there are others. Maybe a 455 kHz to 12 kHz downconverter and a soundcard might work too.
Old 02-03-2013, 9:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1RBI
Connect the resulting 455 KC IF signal to
What is the tap point called? IOW, where in the receive chain is the tap located?
Hmm - you're right of course. KC is obsolete, "KHz" is now politically correct. Sorry about that.

As to the specific point in the receive chain don't tap downstream of the ceramic filter, because these usually introduce a nasty group-delay effect.

Quote:

The essence in SDR is the software. And just because a box may tune to frequency X doesn't mean it can properly demodulate what it might find at that frequency - as scanner owners already know...

Max

p.s. to the OP and to mods - sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Duhh. I am an idiot (again).

You answered my question when you said "resulting 455 KC signal." That makes the tap point obvious. I apologize for being so obtuse.