RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try 460.5625, 465.4875, 465.5125 & 465.5625 for "off-network" direct/ simplex ops

keep in mind, these would be low power. not a lot of distance
Sponsored links

Old 08-23-2013, 8:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Thanks KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC2CNY View Post
Try 460.5625, 465.4875, 465.5125 & 465.5625 for "off-network" direct/ simplex ops

keep in mind, these would be low power. not a lot of distance
I had to imagine those would be the ones they were attempting to test as they were switching back and forth, and I assume they are using the same "system" radios.

I definitely wouldn't have been able to pick them up from where I was.

So this is a common "feature"/ability with the new trunked systems everyone is using now?

And would I be correct in assuming these new radios/system can't (or wouldn't) have vhf hi and 400 MHz combined (on the same radio that is)?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a status update from the Cortland County Judiciary & Public Safety Committee meeting minutes of 10/13:

"Emergency Services/Communications
Mr. Roman said the Emergency Communications Project is progressing, and he is hoping for a
December 1 acceptance from Motorola and he is working with them on the punch list items. The
County is waiting on a third-party vendor to install a recorder, which should happen Oct. 21. The
County has received a waiver from the FCC to extend the implementation date to Dec. 31, And
Cortland County is still much farther along in the process than many other counties."
Old 10-31-2013, 3:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

rbm I would take one digi off your hands( Ha Ha Ha)
Old 11-29-2013, 9:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I found this item from the recent Cortland County Legislature meeting:

"On motion of Whitney agenda item no. 23
UHF Paging Base for Emergency Responders
Whereas the Cortland County Department of Emergency Response utilizes a UHF paging system to alert first responders to emergency incidents and
Whereas first responders in Cortland County have been experiencing trouble receiving UHF paging alerts to emergency calls, including dropped and inaudible calls and
Whereas the Department of Emergency Response and Communications has been able to recreate the problems experienced by first responders and has worked to develop a solution to the causes of the dropped and missed emergency paging calls and
Whereas the solution to the problems of dropped and inaudible calls is a re-configuration of the current paging bases and the purchase and installation of one additional UHF paging base and
Whereas the County currently pays rent to a tower company for space for one paging base and the County is desirous of ending rental payments to save money and
Whereas the goal of fixing the UHF paying system problems coincide with the county’s goal of saving costs related to tower rental payments, therefore be it resolved that the County authorizes the Director of Emergency Response and Communications to end the current contract with Crown Castle for rental of space at its Locust Avenue Tower as soon as it is feasible and within the terms of the current contract, and BE IT FURTHER resolved that one UHF paging base and its related equipment will be moved and installed at the County’s Public Safety Building rent free and also BE IT FURTHER resolved that the County will install one new paging base and its related equipment at the Cortlandville Water Tower located at Blue Creek Road, rent free and also BE IT FURTHER resolved that the 2013 County Budget is hereby amended as follows to accomplish these separate but related goals"

Has anyone seen any activity on the trunked system that is supposed to be in service December 1 and what is going on with the paging system?
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2013, 1:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default At this point

Fire dispatch/paging is still being done with the VHF lo/UHF simulcast system.

As for the new trunked system, they are still in the process of installing radios in fire and police vehicles.

The highway departments have been up and running for a few weeks now, and school buses are nearly complete.

I don't believe they are going to be ready by 12-1, but I suppose it's possible.
Old 11-29-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEnvy View Post
The highway departments have been up and running for a few weeks now, and school buses are nearly complete.
Any identified talkgroups for the users already on the system? We've got nothing in the database except for a few "test" talkgroups.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Yes

I have most, if not all, of the highway TG's. There may be a couple of other municipal-related services either sharing the same groups, aren't set up/on-line or aren't going to the new system.

I believe I have 69 TG's logged. I'm guessing a few of those are system-wide type/usage for the CNY system they will be joining, and I think I've got a few others identified, but I can't actually confirm them at this point.

Some towns are grouped together as they are small, are located next to, and work with each other.

Highway TG's:
6401- County
6402- Willet/Cincinnatus/Taylor
6403- Truxton/Cuyler/Solon
6404- Village of Homer
6405- Homer/Preble/Scott
6406- Village of Marathon
6407- Freetown/Marathon/Harford/Lapeer
6408- Cortlandville
6409- Flaggers/Traffic
6410- Town Ops
6412- City of Cortland DPW
6413- Virgil
Old 11-30-2013, 12:27 PM

Thanks. Do me a favor when you get a chance and send me a PM with all of the TG's you've seen on their system so far, even if you haven't confirmed them.
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2013, 3:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default I tried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 View Post
Thanks. Do me a favor when you get a chance and send me a PM with all of the TG's you've seen on their system so far, even if you haven't confirmed them.
But it said you don't accept PM's..?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 AM

Only for certain people!~
Old 03-13-2014, 8:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

This thread looks to be the place to ask what is needed to listen to the Cortland police department via a scanner. I have an older analog scanner and used to be able to listen. I know that the county has switched over to digital and I think I need a new trunking scanner to listen. Any one able to point me in the right direction for a low cost scanner and programming information?
Old 03-14-2014, 9:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman5oh View Post
This thread looks to be the place to ask what is needed to listen to the Cortland police department via a scanner. I have an older analog scanner and used to be able to listen. I know that the county has switched over to digital and I think I need a new trunking scanner to listen. Any one able to point me in the right direction for a low cost scanner and programming information?
If all you care about is updating to any digital scanner, you can find a used BCD996T or BCD396T on ebay at 'reasonable' prices. ($225-$275 or so)

They'll do just about everything the newer models will.

In the meantime you can listen online.
Refer to my post at this link. You can point your media player at the link in that post.
I'll be keeping this feed up for a few weeks.
Cortland County Public Safety

Rich
Old 04-07-2014, 7:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the information. I purchased a BCD 396T from ebay for $200, It has an 800Mhz antenna on it, will I need to replace this with standard antenna? I also sprung for a premium membership here so I can access the database with Freescan to make programming the scanner a bit easier. Is there anything else I will be needing?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is Cortland going to be added to the Central New York Interoperable Communications Consortium (CNYICC) Network Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies ?
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2014, 7:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

They have different system IDs though. (Central NY versus Cortland).
Old 04-13-2014, 2:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Unless something dramatic happened that was the original plan.

I believe they are "on the grid" with CNY system, but haven't actually been linked up/online yet. Or they just haven't been using it. But I would expect that to be happening sometime soon.
Old 04-13-2014, 7:18 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I am kinda with Thinderknight on this one... System ID don't match... The only way Cortland can even talk to Broome Co (Not P25) is through the old interop system. RBM can verify that Broome Co is not a a P25 system, but looking at the database here it looks like they are not. And with Onondaga, while being on a P25 system, I don't think with different system ID's that you could talk to each other... I have the CNYICC in my 536 and can hear them for the most part but I have not even seen an interop system on there for Cortland to even have a chance at talking to them... What boggles my mind is the fact that Cortland never got enough for their 18 million system to talk to Tompkins County. they are in the 800 mHz range... Now Cortland is spending another million to get their CAD system updated.. I would of thought that should of been part of the new system they bought... Sorry if I took off course, but they spent millions and got nothing that is 100% compatible with the surrounding counties. in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2014, 8:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Yes, a lot of waste for sure

Not sure about all the interop stuff between what counties and why, but Cortland still uses 45.88 for fire and IA for law.

I guess it's kind of impossible to have everyone on the exact same systems at this point because everyone is coming to the game at different times. But don't worry, this is exactly what the feds and vendors want so they can issue another bribe, I mean ultimatum... uh, wait, POLICY for everyone to purchase an entire new system so they will all be the same.

The original plan was to be part of the CNY system but I don't know enough to know if the system ID's have anything to do with it.

I was told they just haven't gotten everything completely together yet. I'm also aware that most people still don't, won't or can't use the new radios properly i.e. interops. I'm pretty sure the com center knows what to do but the users appear incapable at this point.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:29 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I hear you... Awhile back they needed a chopper to airlift someone and the 911 center had to create a 'patch' on the new system to the old system so the responding units who were at the landing zone could communicate with the chopper. They then took the patch off once the bird was in the air. Seems kind of pointless when they used to say the bird was coming in on 46.220 for communications to the LZ. No patching involved. I still stand by the fact that this "new" system is not what the county needed as from everything I have heard about it has been not good. Radios not programmed correctly to the same thing that you said Aunt Envy... Don't, won't or can't use the system properly. I still hear people calling back in service etc when the status decks are installed in the trucks and they are supposed to be pushing buttons for their status.

Yeah I guess coverage on the old system probably wasn't the greatest it could have been by where towers were placed but it worked. This new system has been more of a pain than anything. I haven't put in the old inter agency freq in my new scanner so I will have to put them in to see what activity is on them.