Possible new peer site on Suffolk Motorola System

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
As I documented on my site here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?12226 I believe there is a new peer group on the Suffolk County Motorola Trunk System.

Using UniTrunker, I can see the new peer as "Site 2"

A quick FCC search puts that site at 100 Main Street, Huntington, NY at 100Watts. My best guess is that this a 6 channel trunk site to cover the Huntington Area, and allow them to patch into the Suffolk System.

Can anyone in the Huntington Village area try tuning in one of the frequencies in the list below and see if there is a Trunk Control channel there, and if so, can you put it into your radio and see what you hear?

My best guess is you will also see the following on WQCP844 (Licensed to SCPD) 851.46250 851.4750 852.3125 852.4750 852.9500 852.97500

So far, 852.950 and 852.475 have been control channels

I do not want to commit this site to the RR Database until I can confirm that this site is in use, if it carriers some SCPD (or some traffic from the Suffolk Moto Group), and any additional details.

I have been unable to make it up to the Huntington Village Area to try and monitor the system. However, I do work in the outskirts of Huntington, and have been unable to receive anything on the control channels.

Once we can confirm this new site is in use and is tied to the Suffolk Motorola System, I'll push the new site into the RR Database.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Yes, I believe there is a mini-site in Huntington Village to cover that area, which used to be horrible.

From what I remember the sites were:
Mt. Misery
Hunt Village (mini-site)
Northport VA (mini-site)
Lloyd Harbor (mini-site)
Hauppauge
Stony Brook Hospital
Selden
Yaphank PD HQ.
Shoreham (mini-site)
Calverton aka Riverhead
Hampton Park

I'm not sure if they have more "receiver only" sites.

Last edited:

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes, I believe there is a mini-site in Huntington Village to cover that area, which used to be horrible.

Yep, I know Huntington Village has terrible RF coverage. I'm trying to determine if this peer site is active, and coverage so I can properly add it into the database.

If it isn't active, I don't want to put it in the database, and then have scanners that use GPS look for a site that doesn't exist.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
I drove through the village stopping at Town Hall on my way home from work. My 996 displayed 3D0Ch-0002 as well as the words "Suffolk County". I guess that makes it a second "site". All I heard was the dispatcher's voice, no field units. Since the main site dropped out, I couldn't compare it to anything. The signal was very poor for the 100 watts it's listed for. It all but dies off south of Pulaski Rd. I no longer hear the 800 Mhz repeater [859.7375 / d 223] that use to be used to provide coverage in the village like the one for the 6th pct. I thought there was a antenna site in Camaset State Park on Lloyd Harbor that was the answer for poor reception up there.

Also, is this a "re-banded" system? I don't think so, right?

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yes, it's a rebanded system. Any Motorola 800 MHz system that has been rebanded will have a yellow banner notation in the database indicating such.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
New site is rebanded. The Frequencies for this are in the rebanded spectrum.
I'm going to add this into the Database now as "Huntington", but put a .5 mile radius on it.

Nick, thanks for confirming the coverage on the site, and that it was in use.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yes, Site 002 would be considered a rebanded site.

Any time you come across a Motorola 800 system where some or all of the system frequencies have a 0 in the fourth position to the right of the decimal point, as opposed to a 5...that system is using the "new" FCC channels and requires a custom band plan.

So for example, on Site 001 you have 852.7375 and 852.6750. The 7375 frequency is an "old" FCC channel versus the .6750 frequency which is one of the "new" post-rebanding FCC channels that was created. If you were to program Site 001 without a custom bandplan, the scanner would only track the voice channels that have a 5 in the fourth position to the right of the decimal, meaning you'd miss half of the transmission.

That may be what you were experiencing if you had Site 002 programmed as a non-rebanded site. You may've caught the dispatcher's transmissions on one of those .xxx5 frequencies, and the reply may've come across a .xxx0 frequency.

According to the license for Site 002, most of the frequencies are part of the "new" FCC channel plan post-rebanding:

FallenAnjel

From what I remember the sites were:

also Rocky Point (mini-site) too on the 851 band and 480 band too !

Is THIS why RPFD isn't coming it at all? It's horrid! I have a Pro-164 w/ a rubber duck and never had a problem, now there's a call 1/2 mile away from me and I'm only picking up the original tones from county, the base coming on and that's it. It's like I"m listening to Wading River... on a good day.

Ok so I assume there will be new frequencies soon?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
This thread is regarding the Suffolk Trunk System. RPFD does not dispatch the trunk system.

I am pretty sure Rocky Point changed their frequencies a few months back. Please try the following and see how they come in:

453.6750 047 DPL Rocky Point Fire Dispatch
482.0250 156.7 PL Rocky Point Fire Operations
458.5000 Rocky Point Fireground

FallenAnjel

This thread is regarding the Suffolk Trunk System. RPFD does not dispatch the trunk system.

I am pretty sure Rocky Point changed their frequencies a few months back. Please try the following and see how they come in:

453.6750 047 DPL Rocky Point Fire Dispatch
482.0250 156.7 PL Rocky Point Fire Operations
458.5000 Rocky Point Fireground

Sorry I searched for "Rocky Point" and found this thread then Scannerman mentioned RP so I replied to his message. I had the top two but not the bottom. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.