151.025 in Central NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregman44

Feed Provider
Remsen Highway is licensed for this frequency (151.025) and is using 162.2 as a CG
They have started hearing a distant repeater in the last month or so that they never heard before. A lot of traffic around 6 am then again at 4pm. Units checking in with what sounds like KR803 Then station 7 calling station 8 and conversations between these stations. Unknown who this user is. Found no matches using FCC website. Which is down now... So

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here's what we've got in the RRDB for that frequency/PL combo.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=isf&stid[]=10001&freq=151.025&tone=162.2+PL&coid=1

I don't see anything with a callsign that sounds like "KR803", though.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
What is being said in the conversations? possibly the content of said conversations could elude to who is co-using the frequency, or possiably adjacent channel interference?

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Broome County?

Remsen Highway is licensed for this frequency (151.025) and is using 162.2 as a CG
They have started hearing a distant repeater in the last month or so that they never heard before. A lot of traffic around 6 am then again at 4pm. Units checking in with what sounds like KR803 Then station 7 calling station 8 and conversations between these stations. Unknown who this user is. Found no matches using FCC website. Which is down now... So

It's apparently a "public safety/PW" designation, but no idea what it would be. It's a 250 watt system so it might be getting up your way, but nothing indicating the call signs etc. that you're hearing.

The thing is, you just never know what will come through. That's all part of the fun! ;)

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
In the last month NHFD in Oneida County has also started getting interference on the home alert repeater used for fire control rebroadcasting and some fire ops. Some other user is getting direct access into the repeater.

After some time spent listening to the transmissions and following up with the freq channel input and PL, it was found to be a license from New Jersey 227 miles away. They had moved their equipment 3 miles down the road recently to another location at 50' high & transmitting 100 watts with 200 ERP; and now all this is interfering locally. And it seems to only happen at about 10 AM and 2 PM. And No, it hasn't been "fun".

It is somewhat similar to the Remsen issue.

Anyway, my suggestion is to look further than NYS for your possible co-user.

k2hz

Database Admin
Here is a possibility:

KAR803 is Allengany County public works at Belmont NY. They are licensed for low band plus a VHF repeater on 150.995.

Allegany County was recently licensed for 151.025 WQRM990 as part of their new Fire system but they ran
into interference issues for the multi-site use. Possibly they decided to use it for Highway at a single site that
was not involved with the interference issues? Maybe even a swap for the licensed Highway frequency?

I hear a few transmissions from your subject here in the Rochester area but they are fading in and out of the
noise which could be consistent with the Allegany Co Belmont site.

Junie55

This sounds like Allegany County DPW

This sounds like Allegany County DPW, more specifically the solid waster transfer stations. Can't remember who station 7 and 8 are but probably Belmont and Wellsville. You will hear a transmission that states number 1 is full, number 2 is 3/4, number 3 is half and so on.

The DPW previously used a frequency under KAR803, but now use a frequency under WQRM990.

k2hz

Database Admin
This sounds like Allegany County DPW, more specifically the solid waster transfer stations. Can't remember who station 7 and 8 are but probably Belmont and Wellsville. You will hear a transmission that states number 1 is full, number 2 is 3/4, number 3 is half and so on.

The DPW previously used a frequency under KAR803, but now use a frequency under WQRM990.

I agree, this has to be Allegany County on the 151.025 WQRM990 repeater but still givng the call sign for their old frequency.

k2hz

Database Admin
Does Allegany still use the KAR803 Low Band 45.20 DPW and 45.52 Highway or is all activity now
on 151.025 and 150.995?

gregman44

Feed Provider
Good work guys. When the Government comes back to work I can look at the license for Allegany county and get more info. I have heard the "number 1 is full, number 2 is 3/4, number 3 is half and so on" transmissions from them

k2hz

Database Admin
Good work guys. When the Government comes back to work I can look at the license for Allegany county and get more info. I have heard the "number 1 is full, number 2 is 3/4, number 3 is half and so on" transmissions from them

Most of the pertinent license info is here in the RRDB. Go to Allegany County and click on the FCC call sign in the listing and you will see an extract of the license info. It looks like this license is in STA status now.

You will find WQRM990 listed under Fire/155.145 now but it should also be listed under Services 151.025 shortly when Chris gets a chance to input my submision. KAR803 is listed under Services.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I must have missed something

In the last month NHFD in Oneida County has also started getting interference on the home alert repeater used for fire control rebroadcasting and some fire ops. Some other user is getting direct access into the repeater.

After some time spent listening to the transmissions and following up with the freq channel input and PL, it was found to be a license from New Jersey 227 miles away. They had moved their equipment 3 miles down the road recently to another location at 50' high & transmitting 100 watts with 200 ERP; and now all this is interfering locally. And it seems to only happen at about 10 AM and 2 PM. And No, it hasn't been "fun".

It is somewhat similar to the Remsen issue.

Anyway, my suggestion is to look further than NYS for your possible co-user.

I thought that was a big part of why we chose this hobby, or any hobby for that matter.

What you're describing is a different issue. Jis sayin...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I thought that was a big part of why we chose this hobby, or any hobby for that matter.

What you're describing is a different issue. Jis sayin...

To some of us, this is more than just a "hobby". We are users of these radio systems, or we are the ones charged with maintaining them. Tracking down the source of interference is more than just a "fun" game to us, it's a critical task to ensure that we can continue to operate safely without outside interference preventing crucial transmissions from getting through.

What tbski describes is a very similar situation, and his advice was good advice, which is to not always assume that the interference is from a local source.

Please keep in mind that there are professionals on this site as well as hobbyists. While it might be enjoyable for the hobbyist to hear distant signals that are getting through, for those who use and maintain these systems, it can be a real nightmare.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I'm well aware

To some of us, this is more than just a "hobby". We are users of these radio systems, or we are the ones charged with maintaining them. Tracking down the source of interference is more than just a "fun" game to us, it's a critical task to ensure that we can continue to operate safely without outside interference preventing crucial transmissions from getting through.

What tbski describes is a very similar situation, and his advice was good advice, which is to not always assume that the interference is from a local source.

Please keep in mind that there are professionals on this site as well as hobbyists. While it might be enjoyable for the hobbyist to hear distant signals that are getting through, for those who use and maintain these systems, it can be a real nightmare.

What this site is for and by whom it's used.

That's why I thought I missed something as I assumed the OP was just curious about what he was hearing on his personal scanner, not as a radio/system programmer/engineer.

And, which is also why I offered my help/input that it may have been a distant, powerful source.

k2hz

Database Admin
Chauffeur6 gave a great response in his post above. I have been involved with 2-way for many years and I have always enjoyed the challenge of tracking down interference. But, when you have a critical system experiencing serious disruption, it is not a game. It is indeed a nightmare involving long hours and high anxiety until the situation is resolved. But, having said that, there is a real thrill if you are able to locate the source and find a resolution for the problem.

I am now retired so I enjoy helping out in these situations when I can and it is more of the fun aspect when it is not a system I am directly responsible for that is in trouble.

The first step is to gather as many clues as possible about the interference and when and/or where it is heard. Next, keep an open mind about if it is local or distant. But mainly, continue to gather facts and don't jump to conclusions.

The thing that steered me in the right directon on this was being able to listen to the recording of the interference. It immediately indicated it was an on-channel and not adjacent channel signal and some fading, combined with the fact there were some ducting conditions at the time, indicated a probable distant source.

While listening for things like place or street names is usually a good clue, that was not the case here. What nailed it for me was listening to what was said and any regional charachteristics of the speakers. I did not immediately recognize it was refuse transfer stations but it was some sort of public works operation with heavy equipment or machinery. There are some subtle speech charachteristics, particularly of older natives of that area, that made me suspect that part of NY or adjacent PA. One I recognized this, the slurred KR803 started to sound more like the actual KAR803 which confirmed my suspicion of Allegany County.

Yes, I do this for "fun" or at least a sense of accomplishment here on this forum but also becuase I have great empathy for the guys experiencing the problem.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Thank you K2

For your more "detailed" reply. ;)

I also enjoy the "challenges" as described by yourself, and I can only imagine the utter frustrations related, seeing as I've had my own on the hobby level.

I appreciate the further info/explanations you've provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.