RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 6:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

"Old information..... Haven't you heard of the CITE cars, they have been plastered all over the news. CITE cars are fully unmarked. Also, why are they forced to stop every car while in a slicktop? Sounds like someone is on a rant and doesn't know what is actually going on out there... "

No I havn't seen anything about CITE cars, maybe in Albany they were all over the news, but not down here, and your comments seems more a rant than mine.

As far as stopping speeding cars that pass a slick top, I would say they HAVE to if they pass them at 85mph, and this complaint is from the Troopers themselves, and not me.

And Thunderknight thanks for that link. Good info, I wonder if the public was notified about the change since it made so much news about the elimination of the unmarked cars years ago, and I won't go into he story of the original reasons the unmarked cars were eliminated, if you want to know anybody can do the research and find it.
This has been off topic enough and a whole topic for the reasons and information about this CITE program should be on a separate post

Last edited by radioman2001; 11-06-2013 at 6:58 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 8:47 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Nice Squads..

Wow Sharp.!
Old 11-06-2013, 3:54 PM

Any LEO would pull you over going 85... They have the choice to pull someone over or not what ever the speed they are driving at over the Posted Speed Limit. Rule of thumb is that you are safe(for the most part and IMHO) if you travel under 80 in a 65(Thruway). CITE(Concealed Identity Traffic Enforcement) Cars are Statewide and are in multiple colors(silver, blue, black, red, whatever). They are supposed to be for Interstate Patrol but I have seen some at fires off the highway.
Old 11-06-2013, 5:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafd55 View Post
Any LEO would pull you over going 85... They have the choice to pull someone over or not what ever the speed they are driving at over the Posted Speed Limit. Rule of thumb is that you are safe(for the most part and IMHO) if you travel under 80 in a 65(Thruway). CITE(Concealed Identity Traffic Enforcement) Cars are Statewide and are in multiple colors(silver, blue, black, red, whatever). They are supposed to be for Interstate Patrol but I have seen some at fires off the highway.
Wasn't one of the main reasons for the CITE cars for catching people texting and driving? I remember that being plastered on the news a few months ago
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was under the impression CITE cars were used in operations, to catch distracted drivers, not regular road patrol also something about having a beefed up suspension system, so they sit up higher and easier to see in other vehicles as they pass...
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DXF View Post
I guess this puts a whole new meaning to "slick top" saw one like this yesterday going code 3 in Oneida County.

found the pics on 10-75.Net, courtesy of Eli Gill

When Looking at the Pictures I see on the Tag they start with the Letter H is that the Troop there stationed at ?

Our Troopers here in Kansas at one time had the Letter " K " before there Numbers, Now they just have there Number's on there Plates.. bear

Last edited by bear780ks; 11-07-2013 at 12:44 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 5:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear780ks View Post
When Looking at the Pictures I see on the Tag they start with the Letter H is that the Troop there stationed at ?

Our Troopers here in Kansas at one time had the Letter " K " before there Numbers, Now they just have there Number's on there Plates.. bear
That's correct. The letter in the car's designation is the troop that the vehicle is attached to. There's more info here. Here's a map of the different troops in NY:

Last edited by kc2kvy; 11-07-2013 at 5:41 AM..
Old 11-07-2013, 9:03 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hey Thanks bear..
Old 11-07-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear780ks View Post

That map does not show Troop "NYC" and Troop "L" which is Long Island.

"H" Cars are Headquarters cars. Most of the Ford NGPIs, Chargers, Caprices you see around the state will have this designation because they were sent out for evaluation throughout the state. But yea, each troop has a letter and covers a region of the state with the exception of Troop "T" which patrols I-90 West of Albany and I-87 South of Albany, both are considered part of the Thruway. Troop T also patrols the 4 Canals within the state which are under the NYS Canal Corporation which is part of the Thruway.
Sponsored links
Old 11-07-2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DXF View Post
I was under the impression CITE cars were used in operations, to catch distracted drivers, not regular road patrol also something about having a beefed up suspension system, so they sit up higher and easier to see in other vehicles as they pass...
That was their big claim to fame to catch distracted drivers, etc. CITE Cars are just the standard Chevrolet Police 2WD Tahoe which in all technicality are lower to the ground then the 4WD Tahoe. Also a weird thing about the CITE Tahoes is that they all have a clear rear window rather then a factory tinted one.
Old 11-09-2013, 7:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
That map does not show Troop "NYC" and Troop "L" which is Long Island.
By way of explanation, I created that map for the NF2G Scannist Pages, which did not cover NYC or Long Island, so those areas were omitted.

Also, H does not stand for Headquarters exclusivelly. It's a kind of catch-all for units not assigned to any particular troup - test vehicles, helicopters, etc.
Old 11-09-2013, 2:11 PM

No, H is Headquarters... All test vehicles originate from there as well as MRT, and other special units. It is not a catch all "Troop"...

Last edited by lafd55; 11-09-2013 at 2:55 PM..
Old 11-13-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
No, H is Headquarters... All test vehicles originate from there as well as MRT, and other special units. It is not a catch all "Troop"...
Yea based off of New York State Police Units and what I have seen H is only for units based out of NYSP Headquarters in Albany, which includes new test models that are temporarily being assigned to a different troop.
Old 11-14-2013, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac316scu View Post
Yea based off of New York State Police Units and what I have seen H is only for units based out of NYSP Headquarters in Albany, which includes new test models that are temporarily being assigned to a different troop.
That is the best database for NYSP vehicles on the web, he has a lot more to add too. He also has DEC, State Fire, and Homeland Security vehicles of NYS.