Home patrol with ontario county ny 700 MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
Here is my question... I recently bought a home patrol as my old scanner was VERY old and I could no longer hear the new ontario county. I followed the directions and still am not hearing the new ontario county system. What am I doing wrong?

Or how do I fix it so it will grab the new system?

Thanks so much for any advise.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It appears that there were some recent changes in the database to that system. The normal Sunday night run aborted before completion...I've triggered another data pull for tonight. Update your database (be sure to write the update to the scanner) after 9 am CST tomorrow and see if that helps.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
I will definitely try that. Thank you so much for the help...I will let you know how it works.
Thanks again.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
I did the update and I still hear nothing from the ontario county sheriff. I am hearing some Wayne county 154.xxx or Monroe county 155.xxx and once ontario county fire 453.xxx.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
And I also heard this morning, the Ontario County Dispatch call to a local town EMS...(I don't know if this is relevant) but it said Linked to 46.4... and it was showed 453.xxx . But definitely no dispatch or responses with the Ontario County Sheriff or local NY State Police.

The system is definitely clear and I believe the antenna is fine as I heard that very clear. And even the calls from Wayne County which is much further away.

Again, any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have moved your thread to the NY Forum where hopefully you will get a more localized response.
Marshall KE4ZNR

k2hz

Database Admin
The Ontario County Sheriff is now exclusively on the 700MHz trunked system. The 154.815 is likely no longer used as of November 1. It will be removed from the database once this is confirmed.

There is very little activity on the NYSP frequencies since their routine dispatch is on each county sheriff's system in the area.

Ontario County Fire/ EMS dispatch is primarily on 453.3125 and trunked TG8001 effective November 1 but the dispatcher audio is patched to 155.355 and 46.420 most of the time. See the Ontario 700 thread on this forum for more details.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for taking the time to post that answer. I did know that there is a new system for Ontario County. And I updated 11/6 like I was told to do. But I am still not hearing any activity. How do I get that new information into the Home Patrol? Or is it not possible? I just bought the Home Patrol on Monday 11/4, and it just seems like I am missing something.

I actually think I might do a system reset then start fresh but I am using the Home Patrol Sentinel for the programming I am at their mercy saying it is correct.

Thanks again and anything else you think may help, I am glad for the help.

k2hz

Database Admin
Unfortunately, most scanners do a very poor job of receiving Multi-site P25 systems like Ontario. Unless you are near a tower site that may be the problem.

I don't know how to put the Home Patrol in a signal analysis mode like other scanners to determine the signal strength and quality of your reception of the Ontario 700 system control channel.

Maybe someone on here has some experience with configuring the Home Patrol for trunked system reception.

The info on the Monroe/Ontario system in the Radio Reference Data Base is as up to date as far as I have been able to confirm details of the new system. I assume this has been incorporated in the latest downloads for Home Patrol on 11/6. If you are in an area with adequate reception, you still may need to do some manual tweaking for a new system like this. Fire/EMS will be a problem due to the issues I discussed on the Ontario 700 thread but you can hear the same thing on 453.3125.

I think the major issue is to determine if you are in an area where it is possible to get adequate signal quality for any scanner to work. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell you to do this with a Home Patrol. I downloaded a manual and did not find it helpful.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
Well, again, Thank you.

I started this past Monday when I first bought it and initially it was the programming. So after updating that, I did receive activity that I had not heard prior to the update. In fact it was EMS on a the 453.xxx so I was hoping I was heading in the right direction. As well as Finger Lakes Ambulance on another channel.

It used to be so easy...my 12 year old $100 handheld came in loud and clear...and that's why I bought the Home Patrol because I know my limitations with radio systems.

Thanks for trying.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
New Home Patrol -Problems

I bought a Home Patrol on Monday. Updated on Monday then again on Wednesday as the county I lived in (Ontario County) has recently changed their system. After the 11/6 update, I am receiving Ontario County Fire Dispatch 453.xxx very clear, a couple local EMS linked to 46.4, the Medevac system comes in great. But absolutely nothing from the sheriff department. I am pulling in neighboring counties with 4 bar strength.

So, I guess my question is what else could I try. I am very limited in radio system knowledge and I because the programming is done thru sentinel, I feel somewhat helpless. (Though, I have no programming knowledge).

I really like the scanner but it has no value to me if I cant get the sheriff Dept on there.

Thanks so much.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I bought a Home Patrol on Monday. Updated on Monday then again on Wednesday as the county I lived in (Ontario County) has recently changed their system. After the 11/6 update, I am receiving Ontario County Fire Dispatch 453.xxx very clear, a couple local EMS linked to 46.4, the Medevac system comes in great. But absolutely nothing from the sheriff department. I am pulling in neighboring counties with 4 bar strength.

So, I guess my question is what else could I try. I am very limited in radio system knowledge and I because the programming is done thru sentinel, I feel somewhat helpless. (Though, I have no programming knowledge).

I really like the scanner but it has no value to me if I cant get the sheriff Dept on there.

Thanks so much.

After you did the update in Sentinel, did you "Write" to the Home Patrol while connected to your computer as the second step in updating?

Just to confirm you have the latest database in your Home Patrol:

From the main screen on the Home Patrol, select MENU --> ADVANCED MENU --> scroll down arrow --> VERSION INFORMATION

What does it say there for the date of the database?

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did write to the home patrol and the date is 11/6/13. So it is updated. And after I did that is when I started hearing the EMS. So I know that is working. It is clear and strong. And it is driving me crazy because I am receiving a neighboring county which is much further away on 154.xxx so I think (??) my reception is good and should not be the reason for not getting the sheriff dept.
But any other thoughts I am willing to try.

Thanks again.

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I am just trying to use the scanner I bought this week and I don't know what to do. I don't want to return it....I like it. It seems like a nice scanner but it is not doing what I was told it could do.

I was hoping some one on the scanner forum can help me.

Sorry.

aimedtoannoy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I am just trying to use the scanner I bought this week and I don't know what to do. I don't want to return it....I like it. It seems like a nice scanner but it is not doing what I was told it could do.

I was hoping some one on the scanner forum can help me.

Sorry.

Try putting the sheriffs in manually

Tah1966

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how... I am a true novice when it comes to radio systems...that's why I bought the home patrol. For the ease of programming. I see where it can be done..I just don't understand how the new system works. I use to think I was smart...this is way above me... I am intrigued and that's why I having been reaching out to solve this...but I am getting defeated.

fenderblue

TAH1966

Don't feel bad, I don't know how to manually install and save to fave or so. I don't know how to find the channels in sentinel and save and even but in the favorites. Had for 2 weeks and still have problems. Reception is great with a outside antenna and you have to limit your miles so you don't too many channels. I still have problems with not scanning for my local channels. Going to see somebody tomorrow about how to use and program through the computer and save. I don't see any tutoring on U-Tube to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.