"17 switch to 800 high band"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
While listening to Suffolk County PD's 800 MHz Mot II system over the weekend this is what I heard a dispatcher telling an officer.

Why would they ask him to switch to 800 MHz "high band" if he's already on it? This is a headscratcher for me...

wtp

well...

it is their nickname for a system.
but, did you search for it or get it?
"dispatch " radio and "800" just to set them apart?
maybe one of the common 800 mhz freqs?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I haven't heard this, but I don't spend hours listening to SCPD. I normally keep them low in the background and wait for something to catch my ear.

This could mean one of several things. And not knowing where they went, I would start by checking the following:

1 - Did they go to one of the 8TAC frequencies? ( 8CALL90, 8TAC91, 8TAC92, 8TAC93, and 8TAC94)
2 - Did they go to Countywide North or Countywide South?
3 - Did they go to the Car to Car direct frequency?

From your location in Hicksville, you should be able to rule out #2. You may be able to hear #1. But if you don't hear anything, I would suspect #3.

innokuous1

Premium Subscriber
“17 switch to 800 high band”

What TG were you listening to?
What day/date and time did you hear this?
Did you hear any radio traffic before/after the dispatcher said this?
Can you give us any more information along the lines of context in how that came to be said?

Not having any more information than what was originally posted, my wild guess would be - this was on the Aviation Medivac TG (48336) used by SBUH interfacility ambulances, and it was their dispatcher (5-41-0) telling their ambulance 17 (5-41-17) (which still has and uses VHF high band) to switch to the 800 MHz TG. Just a really big guess........

Last edited:

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
“17 switch to 800 high band”

What TG were you listening to?
What day/date and time did you hear this?
Did you hear any radio traffic before/after the dispatcher said this?
Can you give us any more information along the lines of context in how that came to be said?

Not having any more information than what was originally posted, my wild guess would be - this was on the Aviation Medivac TG (48336) used by SBUH interfacility ambulances, and it was their dispatcher (5-41-0) telling their ambulance 17 (5-41-17) (which still has and uses VHF high band) to switch to the 800 MHz TG. Just a really big guess........

Unfortunately all I can tell you it was on Saturday afternoon. I know that my scanner was on the "Command" channel and then I heard the person tell 17 to make the "switch".

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I would guess that it was an old dispatcher using an old term. Remember, Command used to be on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.