RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 11:35 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

thankyou newsnick175 ill try that
Sponsored links

Old 06-19-2014, 7:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
There is no way the NYPD would ever consider digital trunking. The system would have to be twice as massive as the UHF conventional in place already. The coverage would need to be seemless and the audio would have to produce very loudly in the city enviroment. I reguarlly monitor Washington D.C and Chicago fire and they are always having ongoing issues with the audio on scene. The cost would be ridiculous as well to float on the tax payers, and we all saw what happened with the opensky system, I don't believe that the NYPD would support that.

Highlighted sentence 1: Not true.

Highlighted sentence 2: In the limited context of OpenSky, you are correct.

All I can say is your responses are being highly speculative. Having worked for mother M when the T band system was built out and many years after I don't see NYC giving up any T band to go any kind of trunking or digital anytime soon and even then unless forced to and having it paid for by someone else. New York City has LOTS of lawyers and could keep the FCC through Congrees tied up for years.Now think FDNY when you say digital, and all the problems they have had and the lawsuits etc.
Motorola back when 800 trunking was coming on line tried to get NYPD go 800 trunked. No way was NYPD's response, it's not practical. Trunking uses a centralized control and transmitter location system or simulcast which is useless, since a cop in Harlem doesn't need to be heard in Queens and or The Bronx, he needs to be heard in Harlem. It also then becomes a wast of frequency resources. NYPD's need's are more local to the area they patrol and actually need coverage inside the buildings. We are not talking open prarie here we are talking concrete and steel buildings or below ground. This is something a central controller and main/simulcast transmitter site cannot do, and think of all the voting receivers needed for a trunking system vs and conventional one. Then think about the back haul for all that extra equipment.
Now getting back to the controller, Motorola's controller at that time could not handle the traffic NYPD creates on a quiet day never mind when something happens. Even if the new controller is capable of the number of ID"s required ( which the old one could not ) just think about the sheer number of channel requests it would get in a given amount of time, I would say it exceeds that of most statewide systems of today.

My opinion never going to happen. No trunking and I highly doubt digital in our life time
Old 07-29-2014, 10:59 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

A new round of testing on the 700 system this AM. Radio techs testing texting between radios. Using new talk groups: 5001, 5002 & 5030.
Old 07-29-2014, 2:01 PM
New York DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsnick175 View Post
A new round of testing on the 700 system this AM. Radio techs testing texting between radios. Using new talk groups: 5001, 5002 & 5030.
I added these into the RRDB
Old 07-31-2014, 10:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

5001 and 5002 had voice comms, I didn't hear voice on 5030. It just flashed on the screen for a moment. I'll try to log the frequencies being used. The RRDB is not accurate. It will take some time as the testing is infrequent, and I'm only using the display mode 1 on mt 996. Yes all this testing is in Phase I mode.