yonkers pd frequencys

Status
Not open for further replies.

godzilla151

Hi, i have been scanning for many years, and always recieved the yonkers ny pd on 453.275 but by the looks of the antennas on their cars it looks like they switched to 800.000 and after doing some research i could not find anything other then the same old frequncys that no longer work.I also tried searching with my scanner,a 200xlt but with no luck. any help would be appreciated, thanks

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
They have changed nothing, same freqs as always just narrowband digital.

godzilla151

I tried searching with the 200xlt but all i get on 453.275 and 453.475 is what sounds like a scrambled signal. I looked into narrowband and it seems the newer scanners say narrowband capable. For everything else the 200xlt is good and i also have a relm hs 200.Is it because my scanners are obsolete to pick up narrow band?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
According to the database, they are P25 digital. a 200XLT is not P25 capable.
You will need a P25 digital capable scanner. (It has to do with them being digital, not with narrowbanding).
(as long as someone can confirm they are not encrypted).

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
I can tell you 100% it is not 800mhz.
Same three channels in use and they have been digital for almost 20 years. They do have encryption but very limited use.

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
The small antenna is for the MDT. The radios are NOT encrypted and they are still the same freq. but like stated before they are P25 digital.

Mike
Retired
FDNY/EMS HAZ-TAC

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
so my scanners are obsolete to pick it up,thanks for the help

Check eBay and see if you can get your hands on a good condition used Bearcat BCD396T. It does P25 and decodes Yonkers PD quite well...I have one and used it when I worked in White Plains. Does quite well on Greenburgh's P25 as well

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yonkers has been P25 for some time. As others said the small antenna is for their mobile computers.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what he was looking at, but Yonkers PD units only have one antenna on the cars and it's for the radio. They do not have a MDT radio system, like NYC, computers use Verizon air cards installed in the the expresscard slot. They are in the process of switching to newer style tablet computes from the current Toughbooks in use.

Archie

tbendick,

They have encryption on 458.925, but only via the Vertex portables used by non uniformed officers.
You will hear it very rarely though...and how come you no longer hear County PD Aviation on
the Yonkers PD frequencies??? Thanks.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
tbendick,

They have encryption on 458.925, but only via the Vertex portables used by non uniformed officers.
You will hear it very rarely though...and how come you no longer hear County PD Aviation on
the Yonkers PD frequencies??? Thanks.

Archie that information is not correct, I won't get into the encryption, just they do have it.
As far as Aviation, if they are in the city operating with units they will use the Yonkers PD Channels. If they are on patrol they will be using the county police.

Archie

tbendick,

Thank you for the informative reply, and the new YPD cars have multi band radios with how many other jurisdictions beyond County and Bronx NYPD??? Did they ever move dispatch to Wells Ave as planned ??? Thanks

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch did move.
Only some Esu units have multi band radios.
Departments using mutiband radios try to put as much in as possible but its hard to keep up with all tgue changes.
Patrol cars do not have multiband radios, take a look at the price of s APX dualband radio. Not sure if you would see them switch to dualband radios.

Archie

FYI

tbnedick,

When they rolled out the new radio cars, the city hall press release indicated that they were equipped with multi band radios. Years ago, they gave out a few portables to upper Bronx precincts and the DEP- Hillview PD. Seems like a simple solution to the multi band issue....And I heard Pirro wanted one, but Cola told her to shove it only because she wanted to steal the media spotlight down here.

And if the Shonnard area is the highest point in Yonkers, why not move dispatch up there for better reception???

Thank you for your informative replies...

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch or dispatcher location means absolutely nothing for reception. You could put them in another state 200' underground.
The antennas are what matter and they are located around the city in various locations.
As far as the press release, maybe new cars will get them, but haven't seen it in person.
Also the Motorola apx radio series that is being used around here is only dual band. You have to pick which two bands you want at time of order.
http://m.government-fleet.com/news/182110/yonkers-n-y-buys-mix-of-new-vehicles-for-police-fleet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.