NYPD Car to Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

Wondering if you ever hear NYPD car to car, and if so, how you hear it.
And also, I scan my precinct (108-114, Queens) but they never seem to direct each other to TAC channels or anything like that. I scan the Citiwide TAC channels also, but never hear a thing. How are these TAC channels used? I'm looking for any channels that they may use as secondary when they need to communicate a little less formally. Or have I just been watching too many movies…..? :)

I understand that the tac channels may not hit repeaters therefore I have to be closer to hear them.. but I have a feeling I'm doing something wrong here..

And what's a "621"? Tonight I heard "I'm bringing in a 621 to the 114(precinct)" Cant seem to figure out what that is...

Scanning in Astoria, Queens w/ a BCD396XT.

-leaf

n2nov

TAC channels are used when they want to keep things off of the repeater. The radios only transmit 4 watts, so at UHF the simplex (non-repeater) TAC signal can only go so far. With buildings and trees blocking and/or absorbing some of the signal (not counting the shielding effect from using the HT inside of a metal car), you would expect to hear a TAC frequency user within about a mile of you. Also, don't forget the proliferation of cellphones. The officers make more use of their cellphone for non-dispatch chatter than you think. Typically TAC A through E are intended for the precinct officers, TAC F for the Patrol Boro and various Task Forces, TAC G & H for various SOD units, TAC U is reserved for inter-agency use like FDNY and OEM. The other TACS (J through T) have been heard sporadically in various areas for NARC ops, etc.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
As was pointed out, the precinct aren't used that often routinely, mostly for special details. And NYPD is very heavily based on portable radios, not higher power mobiles, so you won't hear much if you're more than a mile or so away from the user.

I'd bet money what you heard as "621" was actually someone saying "I'll be '61 at the 114", shorthand for 10-61, the 10 code for a precinct assignment.

leaf

Premium Subscriber
Ok - thanks guys. Just thought I was doing something wrong... My dad scans out in San Diego and he is always telling me about the stuff he hears on TAC and D2 channels and I have become jealous.
Blaze - yeah maybe that was what he said.... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.