Monitoring NYPD and Media During Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Without going into personal opinions regarding the recent Ferguson protests, I just wanted to say there was a lot of action on Citywide One last night. Powerful radios heard from central jersey. I also heard NBC media crews for the first time on 450.4125 and the normal buffs on Citywide 1 and 2 media frequencies. Just wanted to point out that these network news crews still revert to their radios at times, although I'm sure they communicate mostly on cell phones now. Their frequencies listed in the db are normally quiet, so I'm sure they normally use phones.

Analogrules

Thanks for posting the frequency. I am assuming all the media frequencies for nyc are up to date. If there are others, please submit them to the db. I am working on creating a fav list for all media frequencies.

Danny37

I was upset when I heard they attacked an EMS ambulance with a injured police officer inside and wouldn't allow it to transport to the hospital and were also blocking multiple bridges across manhattan. Praying for a fast recovery to all PS personnel.

maalox

Thanks for posting the frequency. I am assuming all the media frequencies for nyc are up to date. If there are others, please submit them to the db. I am working on creating a fav list for all media frequencies.
media freqs are in the radio reference database .

RBFD415

161.670 NBC 4 helicopter operations was busy as well. Heard them up at night which is rare. Signal is good here in central NJ. I didn't use PL- was listening in CSQ.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
One possible fall-out from these demonstrations/protests in NYC over this Ferguson deal is that the NYPD may....MAY....determine that some type of "better" radio system may be in order for these situations.

There was a need to transmit a lot of sensitive info over the radio, which they didn't do, which made logistics more difficult. Example: when it was asked where the arrested demonstrators were being taken, a voice would come on saying "Don't put that over the radio.." fearing that a crowd of demonstrators would converge on where the arrests were being processed (which, BTW, was nowhere near the midtown demonstrations).

The other issue was that, while transmissions regarding the Thanksgiving Parade itself had no problems, the transmission regarding demonstrators around the parade were almost continually cut off with people "keying up" their radios in an obvious attempt to interrupt them (at one point, the night before on Wednesday, they actually switched channels to attempt to avoid these "keying up" episodes.

Another issue, which was discussed on-the-air by NYPD police bosses was that some of the radio transmissions...other than the "keying up"....was what they called "unauthorized transmissions," or, "that wasn't a cop..." calling in assist runs and asking repetitive questions, tying up air time.

(Another issue, talked about privately, was that there is a segment of the NYPD itself which are sympathetic with the Ferguson demonstrators, and invoked their sympathy by attempting to disrupt radio transmissions)

All this may point to the NYPD actually listening to Motorola next time around, and getting the most elaborate radio system they can get, including digital and encryption, if not for patrol work, for these kinds of citywide or borough-wide incidents.

This is just a prediction of what's to come, but there's no doubt that they will look further into it as a result of these last few nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.