Orange County EDACS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

I am monitoring the Orange County EDACS system using a RadioShack Pro-106. I know some of the issues I am having comes from where I am trying to monitor from, however there are some that can't be explained by that.

Namely, I have had several times where the transmission starts out clear, but as the message goes on it garbled and my scanner will stay on the talk group, with full signal strength but nothing comes over but blips of static. It almost sounds like the scanner is getting the same talk group over multiple towers and they are cancelling each other out, as it seems to only happen on simulcasted TGs

Is that what is going on? and how do I fix that

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
That would not cause the issue as the different sites transmit on different frequencies, but the same talk group at the same time. Where are you monitoring from and what site ?

sc800

I'm monitoring from the Warwick area, and it happens on pretty much every site (Beacon, Arden, Sch'munk the most and those are what I hear the most)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
From Warwick your best shot is Schunnemunk for EDACS as far as a signal and traffic. Unfortunately, they don't have a site up on Mt Peter. It sounds to be like your front end is getting overloaded, possibly by an unrelated signal. Any cell towers close to you ?

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Monitoring Schunnemunk I hear no interference or degraded signals. Talkgroups I have heard are the city and town of Newburgh, Cornwall, Montgomery, Orange 911, Orange sheriff. Some transmissions have been fairly long and they held up well. It does sound like your radio is overloading on an unrelated signal. If you can borrow a Uniden scanner, it will have a different IF frequency and slightly better resistance to overload which may clear up reception for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.