Monroe County Harris System

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmer166

Feed Provider
Hello,

I have a radio shack Pro-197 programmed with the Monroe County Harris frequencies. Reception is hit or miss, sometimes it sounds good or its real bad as the signal switches between towers. I am wondering if a newer phase 2 radio will work better? I know the system is still phase 1, I just want the radio to sound better. what does everybody use and how does it work. I am monitoring the East Side.

Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The Uniden BCD436/536HP's would work the best, followed by the Whistler WS1080, and coming out WS1095's. Those are the go to scanners currently for P25 LSM systems. If you were say nearer to one of the stand alone sites, then any P25 scanner would be ok, but on the Linear Simulcast Modulation (Simulcast) sites, not so much. Not to mention if you monitor it mobile, and cross over into an area that is using TDMA (P25 Phase 2), then you are SOL with an FDMA (P25 Phase 1) only scanner.

D

DaveNF2G

I drove through Monroe and Ontario counties on Sunday with a HP-1E and did not hear a peep on that system during the entire time. I even put the system in as a Favorite List and set it for ID search (as some have complained of errors in the RRDB) and still heard nothing.

I have heard that only some sites are up, so from 490 in Gates to the Thruway near Clifton Springs, there might not be any coverage.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Going up to Rochester area for New Years for couple days. I have a BCD436HP in the car. Put in the corrected ID's today will see if any thing pops up!

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Going up to Rochester area for New Years for couple days. I have a BCD436HP in the car. Put in the corrected ID's today will see if any thing pops up!
Arrived, sitting in a hotel in Henrietta with Monroe, Ontario, Genesee Counties running.
All sites on, Monroe 5 bars, Ontario 5 bars, Genesee 2 bars. Monroe excellent reception audio deep rich sound. Ontario excellent reception also. Genesee intermittent reception in ID search mode due to no IDs.
Using a 700/800 rubber duck antenna. I was extremely impressed!!

elmer166

Feed Provider
I bought at Uniden BCD536HP to listen to this system. I only have the Harris Monroe County in the radio with the east side towers programmed in. Audio is good when it picks it up. I have had some help with some of the settings, but while I am testing it, you will not hear the tones on Ch 5, and it will pick up the transmissions half way through while the dispatcher is talking. Sometimes it will not pick up at all. Anybody have some suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Two suggestions, unlock all 3 sites South, East, West. Then pick the one with the strongest signal that's what I did. Then get a 700/800 antenna. The Radio Shack 800MHz worked for me on the 436. My 536 I use a scantenna in the attic. It does sound like you need more signal try that see what happens. Also, make sure you have the updated talk ID's from RadioReference.

Last edited:

elmer166

Feed Provider
I use the East side. I have very strong signal, all bars. But it moves from 0-5 almost like its scanning each tower. Would be nice if there was a way to just lock onto one tower.

I have an external antenna, will try to hook it up to that.

I also have the correct Id's. Checked that first.

Thanks for your reply.

Theo

Premium Subscriber
If you have 5 bars for the East Site then Avoid the other two sites. Go into Sentinel, edit Favorite Lists, Left column click Monroe County PH2, click Sites, Avoid what you don't want. Should be good to go!

Last edited:

towser

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BCD536HP and am interested in Orleans Fire. I have the Butel software and have downloaded the info through the database here into the scanner. I am using the Monroe East Site and have 5 bars. I can hear transmissions on broadcastify and have my scanner on at the same time but it doesn't pick them up. Shouldn't I get something with 5 bars?

elmer166

Feed Provider
I am not familiar with Orleans County, but a quick check of the Harris system for Orleans county shows only 1 Simulcast. Did you put in Monroe County East Side frequencies?

If you goto the Harris page for Monroe, Orleans & Ontario county, scroll to the bottom of the System Frequencies and you will see only one set of frequencies for Orleans County.

Hope this helps

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
As suggested, but gone unanswered, the Genese and Orleans systems are not connected to any other system. Only Monroe and Ontario are connected as a regional (non-ISSI) system.

Genesee and Orleans must be programmed as separate and independent systems. The database is misleading. Efforts have been made to point it out, to no avail.

If you are in Eastern Monroe County, you have no hope receiving Orleans. Depending on your set-up, you MIGHT be able to see Genesee from the Bergen site.

Good luck
tpg

towser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I am not well versed in the programming side of things. I basically went into butel imported all the site and only the orleans fire. I saw the Monroe East was the strongest(even though I live on the west side of the county) so I avoided all others. I thought I read somewhere but couldn't find it again that it is not a p25 2 ? That's what's in the database but maybe it needs to be changed to p25 1 or p25 standard?

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
The only system using phase 2 is Genesee. All the remaining are still phase 1.

The other systems were recently (Nov/Dec 2014) upgraded to Phase2 capable, but now requires the end user radios to be upgraded and programmed for phase 2.

As for the original question to Orleans, you must build the system using ONLY their frequencies. Even with Monroe closer, they are not connected. (Regardless of what the database looks like)

If you can't receive the Orleans control channel from their frequency list, then you will not be able to hear them.

tpg

Theo

Premium Subscriber
Just to reiterate all four counties need to be downloaded and installed as separate systems. Inside each system are different sites pick the strongest to your location Avoid the others. I just picked up Genesee with two bars in Henrietta so you might not receive it. Orleans might as well forget it unless your in Brockport or Hamlin area. Ontario you might get something there being that close to Victor area.

towser

Premium Subscriber
So, I loaded Orleans sites and the talkgroups I want. I skipped Monroe Simulcasts and only went with the Orleans. I changed the p25 x2 to p25 1 freg truck. I live in Gates so it's all up to antenna now or am I still doing something wrong.?

Theo

Premium Subscriber
So, I loaded Orleans sites and the talkgroups I want. I skipped Monroe Simulcasts and only went with the Orleans. I changed the p25 x2 to p25 1 freg truck. I live in Gates so it's all up to antenna now or am I still doing something wrong.?
The correct setting if your using a BCD436HP or the 536HP is P25, X2, TDMA. You might need a antenna in the attic or outside for good reception. I'm originally from that area so any more questions feel free. I also use ARC536 Software to program. Ted

ThePagerGeek

Premium Subscriber
You won't hear it in Gates... need to be more like Western Spencerport or further West. You should be able to hear Genesee though... Phase 2 though.

towser

Premium Subscriber
I get Genesee dispatch through the conv channels. I have antenna in attic and will switch the p25 setting for Orleans...I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.