For suffolk county

Status
Not open for further replies.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo695

but the BIG question is . . . . . .

whether the County will encrypt it, like Nassau has done; at least as far as PD is concerned.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I have been kinda used to listening in to whatever I want all these years... I hope it does not go the Encrypted route..
remember when SCPD had that primitive VHF system?

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Olde Tyme Radidio

I have been kinda used to listening in to whatever I want all these years... I hope it does not go the Encrypted route..
remember when SCPD had that primitive VHF system?

Remember when NCPD was on low band & every call was preceded by that rather annoying tone?

haleve

Banned
NCPD Annoying Alert Tone

Actually no I don't...

Was it a MDC chirp or something? Modat? perhaps? I lived in Nassau for a while- but I was not into radio then.

It was just like one part of a sequential two tone alert signal like the tones the fire departments transmit, they used this tone for "every" call they dispatched, maybe Phil or Dave can jump in here to elaborate further on this.

This site has the basic concept with the two tone sequential paging wave file.

www.genave.com/two-tone_paging.htm

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
I recall that each RMP had an encoder that the cop could select the "10-code " he wished to send to the dispatcher. So many transmissions could be non-verbal.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
Remember when NCPD was on low band & every call was preceded by that rather annoying tone?

Boy, do I ever! It was a 1000 or 1200 Hz tone, 1-2 seconds long, that preceded EVERY call. They covered the entire county with 2 main frequencies, 37.14 & 39.22 Mhz. That tone made it almost painful to listen to them. The Suffolk County PD VHF system was way more sophisticated than was NCPD, back in the day.

Bob,
N2OAM

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
My how things have changed.... Suffolk's "800" system is considered old news now and from what I hear Nassau's is consider state of the art... well for Long island anyhow.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Guys, I'm not looking to pee on anyone's parade, but I really don't think its a question of "if", I think it's a question of "when". I was thrilled when I moved down here to Wilmington, NC to find the local P.D. and Sheriff's office were in the clear. Now both are encrypted. Really puts a crimp in enjoying the hobby.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Does anybody know the freqs for this new system as of yet?

Have not seen any new or pending licenses in the FCC database yet. Not sure whether or not they are going to keep the same frequencies and add additional sites or just completely switch to 700 Mhz.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Guys, I'm not looking to pee on anyone's parade, but I really don't think its a question of "if", I think it's a question of "when". I was thrilled when I moved down here to Wilmington, NC to find the local P.D. and Sheriff's office were in the clear. Now both are encrypted. Really puts a crimp in enjoying the hobby.

I have a buddy who was a VFD up here on Long Island... he now lives in Whiteville NC.. He became a FD Chief down there. He told me that they might be updating their communications down there He too is bummed... said something about a giant 800 system which in general "local govt" will be on..

I'm sure it's coming to Suffolk too... I could be wrong ,but I don't think that many of the local FD'S AND VAC squads will stop using their UHF systems unless there is a need to like when both counties have to work together for an MCI or something. Currently, I only use my 996XT for the local PD/SHERIFF

I do wonder what kind of system it will be on though- Band, freqs,etc. or whether it will be in the clear or. but like the COP said... I'll bet it's coming.

We here on LI (Suffolk)have been pretty lucky so far.We have not had to deal with anything too major. Sure, We have had to update our scanners from time to time but that is part of the hobby. I have seen other parts of the country where it's very complicated to enjoy our hobby.

It's going to suck having a $500+ boat anchor sitting in the shack

Time AND Money will tell us.

Last edited:

haleve

Banned
The Price Of Progress

Whatever happened to "The more things change the more they stay the same"? I've been following the politics of this transition on the Nassau & Suffolk County FD Rant forums, all I want to know is how is this rather dubious transition going to affect Nassau & Suffolk County fire comms? Are the various independent departments going to consolidate their numerous UHF frequencies for countywide interops & a bi-county compact & what about the tried & true low band, frequencies? Are they soon to become extinct or relegated as a backup system?

BTW: Is LIFA ever going to resurrect itself, if not, does any of the other former members have any of the firehouse, apparatus & signaling equipment photos?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
The system is supposed to hit the 2015 budget with the plan to start building it out in 2016. I would expect that since it is in this year's budget, the frequency application will be submitted soon.

The system will be migrated over in 3 phases, according to the document scan I've attached below. I want to thank the owner of SCPDNY.com for finding and scanning the document.

From the info that is circulating from press releases, this will be a new 700MHz system with the 800 system going through a sunset period over the next few years. The new P25 system will be Phase 1 and Phase 2 according to the info and rumors floating around. The biggest questions will be answered once the talk groups are defined. (E).

For those who know how closely I watch the Nassau P25 system will understand how many resources I can put into monitoring the Suffolk System as well. I'll be posting any information I capture with UniTrunker as the system is built.

digital.png

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for this information.

Based on the info you provided will this render my 996XT useless? or am I ALREADY behind the times? Do I have to go back to stamp collecting?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
As long as the system does not have any phase 2 talk groups you want to listen to, then your BCD996XT will be fine.

And don't forget the obvious answer about anything that *might* be encrypted. Right now, we (the hobbyists) will have to just wait and see what the system brings.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information..
I thought there was a "workaround" for the Encrypted bit... something about a computer and software.. I mean you have to listen at home maybe I'm wrong... I thought I read that some folks in Nassau were doing this. either way I was looking forward to buying another scanner anyhow... might not have to now!

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
He might be referring to the N.C. P25 VIPER system. It is statewide but used very little, if at all, here in Wilmington. Most of the system is not encrypted and scanner hobbyists in other areas of the state are
pretty happy with being able to monitor it.
I, too, really enjoyed scanning in Suffolk County.

I have a buddy who was a VFD up here on Long Island... he now lives in Whiteville NC.. He became a FD Chief down there. He told me that they might be updating their communications down there He too is bummed... said something about a giant 800 system which in general "local govt" will be on..

I'm sure it's coming to Suffolk too... I could be wrong ,but I don't think that many of the local FD'S AND VAC squads will stop using their UHF systems unless there is a need to like when both counties have to work together for an MCI or something. Currently, I only use my 996XT for the local PD/SHERIFF

I do wonder what kind of system it will be on though- Band, freqs,etc. or whether it will be in the clear or. but like the COP said... I'll bet it's coming.

We here on LI (Suffolk)have been pretty lucky so far.We have not had to deal with anything too major. Sure, We have had to update our scanners from time to time but that is part of the hobby. I have seen other parts of the country where it's very complicated to enjoy our hobby.

It's going to suck having a $500+ boat anchor sitting in the shack

Time AND Money will tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.