RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 7:02 AM

Yes that would be the O&R tower. I'm not actually sure who owns it anymore, but it's filled with 95% of Orange and Rocklands equipment. When I worked for Eastern Alliance, we pathed 7 or 8 microwave dishes just to be used for their smart grid system. And their general comms are up there too.

I never had any proof Pike's antennas were directional, I just assumed so since that transmitter was moderately into Nys.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2018, 7:10 AM

Ok copy. Yeah, I can barely get the High Point tower from NJICS on my APX in New Windsor. I know Iím comparing VHF to 700, but that VHF repeater up there is pretty much full quieting from my QTH. Would love to throw a DMR ham repeater up there for NJ-TRBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-Zero View Post
Ok copy. Yeah, I can barely get the High Point tower from NJICS on my APX in New Windsor. I know Iím comparing VHF to 700, but that VHF repeater up there is pretty much full quieting from my QTH. Would love to throw a DMR ham repeater up there for NJ-TRBO.

I believe the NJICS transmitter for high point is located on those old AT&T long lines towers. I'm line of sight from those towers to my home and I can't pick up the 700 system either. But I can pick up the Walpack tower just fine, and I'm a good 15 miles from that, where as I'm only about 4 from Hi Point.

Oddly enough I get cell service from Nj(that site in particular), and the 2 times I had to call 911 I got Sussex 911, and they took the call and got in touch with Orange 911.

Old 02-12-2018, 8:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Location and elevation do not determine directionality. The antenna array does.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
Location and elevation do not determine directionality. The antenna array does.
Understood. But sometimes the location and elevation require an array to be directional. I'm all speculation these days, I no longer work on towers and really don't know what's been updated or changed over the past few years. Also, location and elevation affect propagation. Which is already bad on a 700mhz system.

My thinking on the Pike co system was this..
You have this antenna on what is pretty much the eastern edge of pike county, why wouldn't they put a directional antenna array up there, there's no actual need to transmit into Orange. And they can get far better coverage into pike.

Same thing with the Graham site for Orange. Why blast their signal to almost Scranton with an omni when there are areas of oc still lacking radio coverage, that can easily be fixed with a directional array, or a combination of both.

A NDB for aircraft is aimed vertical, because that's where the planes are. It would be a waste to transmit that signal horizontally. See where I'm going?

Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2018, 12:34 PM

Two words...Mutual aid.

Old 02-13-2018, 8:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrux745 View Post
My thinking on the Pike co system was this..
You have this antenna on what is pretty much the eastern edge of pike county, why wouldn't they put a directional antenna array up there, there's no actual need to transmit into Orange. And they can get far better coverage into pike.
A similar situation exists for those counties that sit along the Hudson River. For communities that are down off the ridge toward the river, the best transmitter site is often in the county across the river.
Old 02-17-2018, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrux745 View Post
Where in Oc are you located? If you're in the south western part of the county picking up Wantage is a real possibility. They have 1 pretty good transmitter site and I wouldn't be surprised if you can pick them up in parts of Oc. 154.317 is their fire operations channel, and the site is actually located in Vernon township, near lake wallkill.

I live in Rock Tavern right on the edge of Town of New Windsor. I mean they came in clear and literally overstepping Middletown's FD central when they were transmitting.

I get Pike County Fire Dispatch clearly and no distortion at all where I am. I tried inputting the NJICS in my BCD536 and couldn't get anything, but waiting for Unication to release the Phase 2 upgrade and I'll put that in the G5 to see if I can get NJICS on it.

Oddly enough DaveNF2G I work at a NYC project in Wappingers along the rivers edge and can only receive OC Fire Paging off of Beacon, I'm not sure what other tower my Fire Department gets dispatched off of which we get toned of two different towers, maybe Graham or Arden but I can only receive the set of tones off of Beacon, Can also only receive EMS Response off Beacon and the rest is hit and miss on that channel.