Suggested Freqs for FDNY/NYPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spankymedic7

We're going to NYC soon, and I am taking my XTS2500i (UHF). So, I checked out the NYPD/FDNY frequency databases, and noticed that there are WAY too many to choose from. Does anyone know which frequencies are the "most critical"? I don't want to load up 100+ frequencies when less would do. I believe near Times Square (Manhattan?), if that makes a difference.

Thanks much!

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
@Spankymedic7 check out n2nov.net hes got layouts of all the boros, to give you an idea of what you need to program

Last edited:

Spankymedic7

OK thanks for the info; however, I'm just looking for the most-active frequencies, would like to avoid channels that aren't essential. Does this site delineate this? Just trying to avoid wasting time/channel space.

Thanks much!

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
no it doesnt however it gives you an idea of NYPD pcts you should have around the area your in.

Matted33

If your staying near midtown, you might want Midtown South/North 17th PCT 476.5875 and Special Operations 470.8375, which is a city wide channel.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Just like Matted said above, I'd suggest NYPD SOD wherever you are so you can hear the more significant jobs go out. For FDNY, go with CW1 and whichever boro dispatch you'll be in. If you're really, really interested in hearing fireground communications and think you'll catch some, you can program in the TACs too, but they're low power direct and you won't hear them two blocks away, so they're very hit or miss. Beyond that, if you're hanging around a particular precinct area, might be worth putting that zone's channel in too. As Matted said, for the Times Square area, you're looking for Zone 4 (MTS/MTN/17 PCT) - 476.58750

coolrich55

What I do when I go to nyc is program everything then as far as pd is concerned, monitor sod 470.837. You'll hear all shootings, officer needs assistance, water rescues and anything major. They'll announce what precinct the call is in and then I switch over to that freq. I bring multiple scanners when I go but if you just want to hear the most action sod is the way to hear it.

Spankymedic7

I really appreciate all the great advice. Looks like I'll be monitoring NYPD SOD, and FDNY CW1 (also found Manhattan Dispatch which is where we are staying).

Now, one more question... As far as FDNY EMS goes, which channel should I listen to? I've heard traffic on all 3 Manhattan channels, but also on all 3 Manhattan "tactical" channels. Any suggestions?

Again, thank you, you've been a huge help!

coolrich55

If your staying in midtown I would listen to Manhattan ems central dispatch. Also if you want to hear major incident calls going out, ems citywide 1 is good too.

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
Start With The Basics First

If you're definitely staying in midtown & want to get maximum action without frequency overload dial up NYPD CW-1, CW-3, SOD-1 & MTN/MTS/17th PCT, for FDNY dial up Manhattan Boro & CW-1 & for FDNY/EMS dial up Manhattan Central & CW-1, anything significant will come up on these frequencies within an extremely short period of time so you don't have to try loading up every agencies frequency plan, just NYPD frequencies alone are pretty much like talk radio.

BTW: I'm sure I can get some agreement with this as NYPD CW-1 & SOD-1 will be the first to broadcast any & everything significant coming out of the divisions, CW-3 is good because it's the first contact frequency all the non NYPD agencies have except for a few agencies scattered around the 5 boros who are allocated division portables specific to their coverage area, remember you'll be in midtown Manhattan which is rife with tall steel & concrete highrises so tac, fireground & other assorted ancillary frequencies are going to be hit or miss at best, keep a cheat sheet anyway of all three agencies frequency bandplans just in case something breaks in fairly close proximity to where you're staying, stay aware of your surroundings & maintain a low profile with your radio(s) & everything should be just fine, the new WTC is officially open to visitors so you may want to take that in while you're in town, good luck & enjoy your stay.

www.oneworldobservatory.com/

Last edited:

Spankymedic7

If you're definitely staying in midtown & want to get maximum action without frequency overload dial up NYPD CW-1, CW-3, SOD-1 & MTN/MTS/17th PCT, for FDNY dial up Manhattan Boro & CW-1 & for FDNY/EMS dial up Manhattan Central & CW-1, anything significant will come up on these frequencies within an extremely short period of time so you don't have to try loading up every agencies frequency plan, just NYPD frequencies alone are pretty much like talk radio.

BTW: I'm sure I can get some agreement with this as NYPD CW-1 & SOD-1 will be the first to broadcast any & everything significant coming out of the divisions, CW-3 is good because it's the first contact frequency all the non NYPD agencies have except for a few agencies scattered around the 5 boros who are allocated division portables specific to their coverage area, remember you'll be in midtown Manhattan which is rife with tall steel & concrete highrises so tac, fireground & other assorted ancillary frequencies are going to be hit or miss at best, keep a cheat sheet anyway of all three agencies frequency bandplans just in case something breaks in fairly close proximity to where you're staying, stay aware of your surroundings & maintain a low profile with your radio(s) & everything should be just fine, the new WTC is officially open to visitors so you may want to take that in while you're in town, good luck & enjoy your stay.

www.oneworldobservatory.com/

Wow, thanks much for the info. I've kept SOD on for NYPD, Manhattan Dispatch for FDNY, and have been scanning through Manhattan South/Central/ North dispatch channels...it's been crazy. We don't have anywhere near the radio activity in SE Wisconsin. We've stopped by 2 engine houses (E8's, E10's)...something we've wanted to do for over 15 years. My wife and I have been in Fire/EMS for a combined 40+ years, and being able to visit New York's Bravest has been a milestone and honor.

Thanks for all the info!

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
Enjoy Your Stay & Be Blessed

Wow, thanks much for the info. I've kept SOD on for NYPD, Manhattan Dispatch for FDNY, and have been scanning through Manhattan South/Central/ North dispatch channels...it's been crazy. We don't have anywhere near the radio activity in SE Wisconsin. We've stopped by 2 engine houses (E8's, E10's)...something we've wanted to do for over 15 years. My wife and I have been in Fire/EMS for a combined 40+ years, and being able to visit New York's Bravest has been a milestone and honor.

Thanks for all the info!

40+ years in the trenches & still sane, that's truly from the hand of GOD, if you still have time, visit FDNY Ten House, shake hands with what's left of the men who were the first to bear witness as HELL reigned down on the WTC.

FDNY Ten House

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilT8fOCa-w0

Lest We Forget

BTW: Decades ago the top 3 uniformed services in NYC were NYPD, FDNY & believe it or not the 3rd service was not NYC EMS, it was NYC Sanitation, it was not because NYC EMS was considered unworthy, it was not a civil service participant & as such could not be considered for recognition, still it was somewhat demeaning to the unbelievably hard working, vastly unappreciated & totally underpaid sentinels who donned the uniform & responded to the cries for aid helping the sick & injured cheat death.

jrock71984

Premium Subscriber
We're going to NYC soon, and I am taking my XTS2500i (UHF). So, I checked out the NYPD/FDNY frequency databases, and noticed that there are WAY too many to choose from. Does anyone know which frequencies are the "most critical"? I don't want to load up 100+ frequencies when less would do. I believe near Times Square (Manhattan?), if that makes a difference.

Thanks much!

follow link for all fdny and nypd listings

New York City, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Spankymedic7

40+ years in the trenches & still sane, that's truly from the hand of GOD, if you still have time, visit FDNY Ten House, shake hands with what's left of the men who were the first to bear witness as HELL reigned down on the WTC.

FDNY Ten House

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilT8fOCa-w0

Lest We Forget

BTW: Decades ago the top 3 uniformed services in NYC were NYPD, FDNY & believe it or not the 3rd service was not NYC EMS, it was NYC Sanitation, it was not because NYC EMS was considered unworthy, it was not a civil service participant & as such could not be considered for recognition, still it was somewhat demeaning to the unbelievably hard working, vastly unappreciated & totally underpaid sentinels who donned the uniform & responded to the cries for aid helping the sick & injured cheat death.

How in the hell could NYC*EMS NOT. Be considered civil service?!? I'm not in any way slighting NYC Sanitation, as I've seen them do their job while we were there, they maintain a very clean city...but seriously...I'm shocked. I just read that FDNY EMS is also NOT considered "uniformed"/sworn personnel, and their salary reflects it (singularly and comparatively (to FDNY firefighter pay scale)).

I don't want to go off on a tangent, but I will wrap this up by saying that I've been in EMS for 25 years, and understand that we've always been underpaid/under appreciated...but my God...

Back on topic... We did go to 10's house before going to Ground Zero. All I can say is "wow". We were very impressed and humbled. We didn't realize how CLOSE they were to the Twin Towers. I took some photos of the apparatus bay...what a privilege to visit people whom we consider to be OUR heroes. They exemplify our profession, and really made us even more proud to be a part of the public safety family.

Are you a Fire/EMS veteran?

SpectrumAnalyzer

Previously Banned Member
Banned
FDNY/EMS What Is & What Should Never Be

7 years combined community volunteer & private ambulance service, 3 years in EMS & another 25 & out in Transit before King Giuliani threw them to the NYPD wolves & as a wise beyond his years medic once said: The heartless once cared too much, truer words were never spoken.

www.fdnyemswebsite.com/

The most hurtful thing for a man who loves what he does is not to take a bullet in the back from the people he tries to help in the street but to take a bullet in the back from the people who pay him to follow their orders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.