Scanning Suffolk County Police with BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. New user so please try and not rip me apart too bad. I just purchaed the Uniden BCD436HP from Amazon. I have cleared all afternoon this Saturday to set it up. I was planning on using the Sentinal software. My primery goal is to monitor SCPD. I live in Ronkokoma and my zip code is 11779. I was wondering if there were any other Suffolk users that have any advice or warnings as per the setup. Any/all advice greatly appreciated.

joeuser

The Wretched
Hello all. New user so please try and not rip me apart too bad. I just purchaed the Uniden BCD436HP from Amazon. I have cleared all afternoon this Saturday to set it up. I was planning on using the Sentinal software. My primery goal is to monitor SCPD. I live in Ronkokoma and my zip code is 11779. I was wondering if there were any other Suffolk users that have any advice or warnings as per the setup. Any/all advice greatly appreciated.

The unit will take your zip & based off a range setting you choose (up to 35 miles using the unit, I think & 50 with software) will pick up anything you like & whatever you don't like can be locked out. This will take you just a few minutes.

If you want to get into the gritty details ( & I suggest you do!) I STRONGLY suggest you do a You Tube search for the 436/536 & Sentinel software. The software takes a bit to understand but when you have watched it being used - you will understand it better & faster.

Update everything, get a better antenna, a set of spare batteries with a charger (so you don't have to charge in the radio) & pray your unit doesn't have any RTC or light issues. Then you're all set! I like mine, its not my favorite but its pretty good so far (crosses fingers)

HTH!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The bcd436 picks up the system real good. Currently, the system is an Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface. There are only 10 identified digital talk groups on the system. There is 1 identified encrypted channel. There are like 4 unidentified encrypted that I have set to avoid.

Suffolk is in the process of upgrading the system to a p25 phase 2 system. The scanner you have will receive the new phase 2 system.

Like joeuser said, go on youtube and watch the videos on how to use and program the radio. I knew nothing when I got mine a few months ago, but from reading, watching videos and just playing around, I have learned alot.

Yes, you can put in your zipcode and hear stuff, but learn how to make a favorite list using sentinel and learn how to turn the list, as well as systems and departments on and off.

Also,go here and read thru this its better than what comes with the radio Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

habsfan70

Premium Subscriber
Scanner arrived on Saturday and with the help of Sentinal I was up and running in less than an hour. Dave I see what you were saying about using a custom favorites list as opposed to the zip code database. Using the zip code feature I was able to recieve a tremendous amount of content. It was impossible to scan. I made 6 different favorites lists and I can monitor what I want without having to wade through unwanted content. Thanks for the advice. I replaced the stock antenna with an 800mghz replacement from Radio Shack (RS-800) and it made great improvement to the tramsmission quality.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Dave I see what you were saying about using a custom favorites list as opposed to the zip code database. Using the zip code feature I was able to recieve a tremendous amount of content. It was impossible to scan. I made 6 different favorites lists and I can monitor what I want without having to wade through unwanted content.

You have 2 options with that BTW.

If your only listening to a few different systems/agencies, you can create a favorite list for each one.

Or,

You can create one favorite list and have each system within that favorite list.

I set mine up with pretty much everything I listen to in fav list 50.Then when I travel, I use the gps feature and or a fav list for where I am going.

Turning systems on and of is quicker if you assign each system its own list because while in scan made, all you have to do is type the number and hit enter. With multiple systems in 1 fav list, you have to type the fav list number followed by a period and the system number

Status
Not open for further replies.