Pope Visit To NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

I figured I should start a thread for this. Aside from Citywide channels being active, I'm sure there will be a lot of Federal Frequencies being used too (perhaps some unfamiliar ones). Please post anything new or unfamiliar here.

MStep

I figured I should start a thread for this. Aside from Citywide channels being active, I'm sure there will be a lot of Federal Frequencies being used too (perhaps some unfamiliar ones). Please post anything new or unfamiliar here.

The is going to be one of the biggest security operations in the history of New York City. I would suggest that in the interest of the safety of The Pope, the visiting dignitaries, and the millions of New Yorkers that will be attending these events, that information on specific frequencies that may be in use prior to and during the actual operations and events NOT be posted here until after the events are well over.

Many of us here on the Radio Reference forums are also involved in law enforcement and public safety. As a fellow amateur radio operator, I would expect that you also recognize the need that this information not be disclosed indiscretely.

Last edited:

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I am sure terrorists and all sorts of bad guys flock to RR for information. Let's just shut the site completely down, k?

MStep

I am sure terrorists and all sorts of bad guys flock to RR for information. Let's just shut the site completely down, k?

Unfortunately, we live in different times than 30 or 40 years ago. And Radio Reference is known world-wide as being one of the most authoritative web sites for garnering this type of information. So we really don't know who is "flocking" here.

That having been said, I think that most of us realize that with a security operation of this magnitude, publishing specific frequencies at this time for this event only helps the bad guys. But I will tell you this about the upcoming operation, and anyone who knows anything about monitoring, either as a profession or a hobby will appreciate and understand this---- if you want to pick up the action over the coming weeks, monitor everything !

Every available city, state and federal frequency that is not in use otherwise will be pressed into service for this operation. Use every available scanner that you have and every available function of each scanner, and you will not be disappointed with what they hear.

Those of us who are "professional" monitors will understand exactly what I just said---- beyond that. the need to publish anything more specific in this thread would only do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Analogrules

I have been a hobbyist for 25+ years and I can say without hesitation that anything that THEY do not want us to hear, we would NOT hear anyway. It would be encrypted! Also, any comms that we can hear in the clear would be filled with so many code words, that nothing they say would enable a criminal to act on. I remember monitoring Secret Service before they went encrypted when the first George Bush came to town, and believe me, there was NOTHING said over the air that made any kind of sense. Just numbers and code words. So get over yourselves! As scanner hobbyists, we are not more informed about things than anyone else due to the popularity of media and social media these days. Even the media released the Pope's entire schedule by the hour, so nothing said on the radio would be any more informative. I also applaud that other user's sarcasm....minus well shut down the entire site if you're that paranoid. Haha.

ansky

I have been a hobbyist for 25+ years and I can say without hesitation that anything that THEY do not want us to hear, we would NOT hear anyway. It would be encrypted!

I completely agree. I don't know what you guys expect to be hearing during the Pope's visit. It will mostly be traffic control and that sort of thing, which is usually all that can be heard during big events in NYC. Any type of sensitive information is going to be encrypted.

And if you do happen to hear something interesting, what's the point in posting it in this thread after the fact? Doesn't do anybody any good after it happens.

Spec

My feelings are "why should I have to do your homework ?" This is a hobby. Do some monitoring on your own. Figure it out folks. This forum has been a wonderful source of information , but as of late there are so many that are just too lazy to even look in the data base area for stuff that is readily available. I say wait until after the event. If you are intent on listening LOOK IT UP , it's most likely in the data base.

ansky

My feelings are "why should I have to do your homework ?" This is a hobby. Do some monitoring on your own. Figure it out folks. This forum has been a wonderful source of information , but as of late there are so many that are just too lazy to even look in the data base area for stuff that is readily available. I say wait until after the event. If you are intent on listening LOOK IT UP , it's most likely in the data base.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. The NYC area has so much to listen to it can be overwhelming. If you hear something interesting on a particular channel post it as it happens so others can tune to that frequency and listen too. We know what the frequencies are, but everyone can't possibly monitor everything at the same time. Posting that you heard something interesting 2 days ago is pointless.

Analogrules

Ansky is correct. The amount of frequencies out there is overwhelming, so it is important to know which particular ones will be used primarily for this event vs. The ones being used for unrelated/typical PD comms. I have been looking back at the Superbowl archives (when the Superbowl was in NJ) to get an idea of what to monitor. I think it is a great starting point to use that thread as a reference. However, I am wondering if the NJ UTAC frequencies will also be used? Also, which talkgroups on the NY State Police System should be monitored? I know that normally when events are this large, a few frequencies simulcasted together are normally designated as Interagency use. These frequencies are used to communicate with all involved at the same time. I know for the Superbowl, some of the NJ UTAC frequencies were simulcasted for use among inter agencies.

MStep

I think you're missing the point of this thread. The NYC area has so much to listen to it can be overwhelming. If you hear something interesting on a particular channel post it as it happens so others can tune to that frequency and listen too. We know what the frequencies are, but everyone can't possibly monitor everything at the same time. Posting that you heard something interesting 2 days ago is pointless.

To ansky and all--- Let your conscience be your guide. No one, including myself, is advocating shutting down the site. What information that is out there is already out there. We cannot unring the bell. But those who stumble upon frequencies which may be especially sensitive during these events should not be running to post them here in real time.

That information will NOT be pointless after the fact--- I'm sure many "new" frequencies will pop up, and those can be added to the federal database here on RR for others to use for future events. I think I've made my point--- those who agree likely understand the nature of the world we live in today; from a security point of view, this is going to be the largest, most encompassing and sweeping operation ever attempted in any major city in history. Period. Yes, it's that big. I'm just "suggesting" that folks exercise a little prudence and common sense.

But if you've got "anskys in your panskys", and you feel like you need to broadcast it to the world while it's happening, that's between you can your conscience.

With apologies for the pun ansky. Couldn't resist.

Last edited:

MStep

Ansky is correct. The amount of frequencies out there is overwhelming, so it is important to know which particular ones will be used primarily for this event vs. The ones being used for unrelated/typical PD comms. I have been looking back at the Superbowl archives (when the Superbowl was in NJ) to get an idea of what to monitor. I think it is a great starting point to use that thread as a reference. However, I am wondering if the NJ UTAC frequencies will also be used? Also, which talkgroups on the NY State Police System should be monitored? I know that normally when events are this large, a few frequencies simulcasted together are normally designated as Interagency use. These frequencies are used to communicate with all involved at the same time. I know for the Superbowl, some of the NJ UTAC frequencies were simulcasted for use among inter agencies.

That's one of my points--- you can expect that over the course of these events, everything is going to be used at one time or another, likely on a rotating basis. You guys (myself included), all have the tools and the knowledge on how to use them effectively for monitoring, so sit back and "enjoy the show". If you've got a "hot" frequency that's suddenly come into use, send your friends a private message or give them a phone call and tell them to listen up.

I just don't think it's prudent to post that information publicly, in real-time, under the current circumstances.

Last edited:

ansky

You guys are being ridiculous. This is the Pope we're talking about. If he and his security detail were even remotely concerned about this website they would have asked to have it temporarily blocked. Now stop with the arrogance of believing you are playing some important role in protecting his security by not posting on this website.

JoeyC

Ridiculous indeed. I guess the nervous folks have never monitored a visit such as this with a large security presence. Just about everything is usually pre-planned, and not planned OTA. Anything of a sensitive matter is done via secure means (encryption, telephone). Radios are used to coordinate the efforts, not to make policies. The frequencies are usually known, and if not, easily found. You will probably not hear anything earth shattering that will go viral. You probably won't be able to interpret half of what you think you hear as to location and content. Anyone with ill-intent who thinks they can take a pock shot at a dignitary or VIP because of something they found on radioreference or OTA by listening on a Baofeng, Uniden or Whistler needs to go back to terrorism 101 class.

jaymatt1978

That's the problem with event scanning, it's impossible to predict the frequencies. So asking is kind of pointless/. I have found that more people post frequencies during the events when they find something unusual, not days before the event. Also people need to start responding to the threads after the event is over. Someone asks for information someone else replies, PLEASE show some common courtesy and respond.

jmm346

NYC Schools are closed Wed and Thursday. NYPD School Safety Division would be available to play a large role in protection. Most of their channels are simplex so don't expect to hear much over the repeaters.

Spec

I stand by my post. Why is it so many here cannot seem to use the information already provided by many members here. There is so much information that has been gained AFTER the fact by members searching and scanning the various frequencies already provided and the general areas of those frequencies. The next thing someone will ask (and it has come close already) can you turn on my radio for me ? Oh and I didn't miss the point. Share the info you gain like we all have, and do some homework.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Now that there are 3 NYPD frequencies that are digital and encrypted it would be interesting to see if there is and activity on them during the visit. Obviously you can't hear what is said, but you can see activity.

ig7180

Premium Subscriber
PopeScan Feeds on ProScan Thursday-Saturday

There are several feeds up on ProScan featuring an eclectic mix of comms based on late night speculation.
Some here may recall ProScan having worked quite well for listeners when we hosted the 2013 Super Bowl.
If you have access to a Windows based PC you can download the ProScan software here

Status
Not open for further replies.