Strange NYC Helicopters at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I've noticed a few nights in Brooklyn that a strange Helicopter comes around and makes a circle pattern around the neighborhood. I've seen plenty of NYPD, commuter, tourist and news copters. This one has a red tail light (they probably all do) and a bright white flashing light. Seems to be flying rather slow and moderate speed. Any idea what this could be? I turn on the scanner and don't hear anything on SOD or Tac G and nothing in my local PCT.

EDIT: further research from flightradar24.com shows that it is in fact NYPD. It's a Bell 429 GlobalRanger and originated at Floyd Bennet, circled around the Navy Yard area several times and then flew out east into Queens. Perhaps a training mission?

Last edited:

KA2ZEY

This was definitely a copter but I have seen some strange small prop planes flying around Brookyn during the day.

They're definitely not as loud as the other copters.

Analogrules

If it was Homeland Security, would their frequencies be encrypted? Otherwise, what frequency would their helos be using in the nyc metro area?

Try and close-call them on your scanner. I also see them flying over my area in NJ, but always assumed they were news choppers.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
EDIT: further research from flightradar24.com shows that it is in fact NYPD. It's a Bell 429 GlobalRanger and originated at Floyd Bennet, circled around the Navy Yard area several times and then flew out east into Queens. Perhaps a training mission?

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.