Listener Groups in Buffalo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I just relocated to Buffalo from a city that was extremely active in community scanning. There was a FB group for example where folks could exchange information on what they were hearing over the air as well as general news and other more mundane issues. Now that I'm here in Buffalo I am surprised how difficult it seems to find a similar group. Does anyone know of any? Facebook Group, Yahoo Group...anything?

n4njj

Sin City Repeater Network
I lived there almost my entire life until I moved two years ago, and no there's nothing like that that I had ever heard of.

VE3RADIO

Hi, I just relocated to Buffalo from a city that was extremely active in community scanning. There was a FB group for example where folks could exchange information on what they were hearing over the air as well as general news and other more mundane issues. Now that I'm here in Buffalo I am surprised how difficult it seems to find a similar group. Does anyone know of any? Facebook Group, Yahoo Group...anything?

You would have better luck with the guys across the lake in Toronto.. there are large groups up there.. many of whom monitor Buffalo and Rochester.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, that's actually interesting (local scanning gratification from another country! :) ).

Well I've taken the initiative then and created "BuffaloScan" in Facebook and on Twitter if anyone is interested. Presumably the absence of such groups outright means nobody is interested enough in the hobby or in the hobby in this way, in Buffalo. My experience with them is that they are largely engaging and useful when seeking to flush out news and details outside local news institutions, but I cannot deny how horrible such groups can turn out either. Not properly moderated they can wind up a pit of judgement against those arrested, a detriment force to public safety investigations, and the source of rumor and inaccurate information.

tdave365

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that link list, those are the kinds of groups I'm talking about. I will look these over to get a sense of the community. I got the group and Twitter properties up and running but I'm way ahead of myself for the moment. I want to get a sense of the public safety culture and how the community interplays with it before defining it too much. I am literally living out of my suitcase right now so am scanning via the Internet. I have my trusty scanner packed away yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.