MTA PD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

Anyone know what frequency or frequencies MTA Police use at let's say Grand Central, Harlem 125th Street, Fordham etc? Or are they using multiple different frequencies? I have seen the Listed frequencies for MTA Police here https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=864 but I see some of them do not have PL's or inputs or exact info on what the frequencies cover.

Are they using Simplex at these stations? Is there a main dispatch frequency that all MTA Police operate on, a citywide dispatch frequency if you will?

Sorry for all the questions at once, but I haven't monitored MTA Police at all before. I figured I would give it a listen, I just wanna know what to listen to.

Thanks in advance guys!

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
MTA/MNRR PD uses one frequency system-wide for the locations you listed. There are appx 30 transmitters throughout the the system, some in stations other on off site towers. In Conn there has been a push to use Conn SP system, and in GCT the PD has a choice of the Metro-25 or the VHF.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I don't think they are fully on METRO 25 in GCT yet. I see there are new radiax cables installed along the platforms but they are not connected to any equipment.

radioman2001

That's not for us, that's for the new cell coverage from the consortium of Verizon, ATT and others. The Officers at GCT have the choice of 800 or VHF since the Metro 25 system is just a few blocks away. I set up a VHF repeater last November and they used for about 30 days and then went to 800.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
That's not for us, that's for the new cell coverage from the consortium of Verizon, ATT and others. The Officers at GCT have the choice of 800 or VHF since the Metro 25 system is just a few blocks away. I set up a VHF repeater last November and they used for about 30 days and then went to 800.

Good to know, thanks!

4-crime

MTA/MNRR PD uses one frequency system-wide for the locations you listed. There are appx 30 transmitters throughout the the system, some in stations other on off site towers. In Conn there has been a push to use Conn SP system, and in GCT the PD has a choice of the Metro-25 or the VHF.

What is the frequency that is used?

4-crime

Ok, is there a PL tone for it?

I believe they only use the one talkgroup for the Staten Island railway PD.

4-crime

I was listening to 161.2200 with CSQ for a little bit last night and all I was hearing was just hearing the dispatcher, no other transmissions. Is this normal for that frequency?

Spec

I was listening to 161.2200 with CSQ for a little bit last night and all I was hearing was just hearing the dispatcher, no other transmissions. Is this normal for that frequency?

As noted in #3 of this thread the VHF system for the NORTH is a single freq. (simplex) system. So yes is the answer to your question.

Darkstar350

So in other words 161.220 is the dispatch freq. and there is a separate mobile-to-dispatch freq.? 160.560 is it?

also 160.320 as well as 155.760 are active MTA freqs. for in and around NYC/Penn tho i havent heard anything on 155.760 except for some bus company i think....

Spec

So in other words 161.220 is the dispatch freq. and there is a separate mobile-to-dispatch freq.? 160.560 is it?

also 160.320 as well as 155.760 are active MTA freqs. for in and around NYC/Penn tho i havent heard anything on 155.760 except for some bus company i think....

As I wrote 161.220 is a SIMPLEX one frequency system for the NORTH. ONE frequency. The OP's question was about 161.220. 160.560 is also a simplex freq.

radioman2001

With a simplex system you have to be in range of the mobile. We have appx 30 transmitter sites and 10 receive only sites. So you may hear the Dispatcher, since they like to sit on the hi-power sites like Alpine. and while the Dispatcher can hear portables from there you probably won't unless you are close to them.

160.56 is N-2 and is the local talk for the units. Most traffic I hear is just where are you and whats for lunch.

155.76 is no longer used as a repeater that was located at 2 Broadway.

The 450 LIRR channels as far as I know are no longer used, but I have no current info on them, they were for vehicle repeaters.

Spec

Just some food for thought here folks. The only real MTA system for the PD is the the VHF system. ALL others are piggy backs the MTA PD has obtained permission to be on. When they picked up Staten Is Trans they got what they were using. SOME day MAYBE they will get their act together and put a dedicated system together . That is after they stop talking and start doing.

radioman2001

I don't know where you are getting your info from, yes the CSP system is a piggyback with MTA paying for additional sites for their requirements for coverage, so it's a win win. Also the 100 million or so to build out a 700/800 system across our operating area (plans right now for new tower in Patterson/Pawling area) and probably others. MTA just spent big bucks with Motorola for all the APX radios which now replaced all the GE/Harris equipment and Vertex portables.

The Metro-25 now belongs to MTA not New York State or NYSP, since they were about to lose the channels for not building it out within the allowed time frame, MTA PD got the frequencies and a 10 year extension, and it is used quite often in place of the VHF besides Staten Island transit.

As far as info on what talk groups, I can't tell you since it's a BIG secret, the radio is locked so it can't be read, and I don't have access to the password.

Maybe if I get to borrow a radio one day I can try and see what channels designations bring up what groups. From what In saw 2 weeks ago at a MTA drill the radio has appx 30 banks of channels.

BTW sometimes dispatch will be heard on VHF and the unit answers on 800, and vice versa. All the same to the dispatcher it just shows up on a different icon on the console.

There is also a chance that the Conn VHF stations are going to be switched over to P-25 in the future. Recently got inquires about the equipment that was installed in 2003 and it is P-25 capable with encryption.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
The Metro-25 now belongs to MTA not New York State or NYSP, since they were about to lose the channels for not building it out within the allowed time frame, MTA PD got the frequencies and a 10 year extension,

Wow, that is so incorrect.

Anyway the frequencies are the same as the EDACS system that State Police built out the 1990s. All they did was switch it to p25 a few years ago.
They have been "constructed" for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.