NOAA KWO 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

NOAA Weather Radio - Viewing Outages

Tests and public responses to the relocation of the NOAA Weather Radio transmitter that serves the New York City metropolitan area (KWO35 on the frequency 162.550) have generally been positive even though we are running at a lower power on a temporary antenna. We are currently negotiating with the tower owner to lease a location on the tower. Once that is done we will be able to install a better permanent antenna and increase the output power of the transmitter to its previous power levels.

If you have any problems with reception, please fill out and submit the outage report form shown below. It would be very helpful for you to provide information about your location in the comments section to assist us in localizing reception issues to a specific area.

Thanks for your patience and for listening to NOAA Weather Radio.

162.550 is out of service

Any idea what happened?

Darkstar350

Its still out of service as of today(monday) afternoon

I also could barely pick up Riverhead(162.475) but that seem to have problems a bit as well...

FrankNY

Bill (ecps92), thanks for your post, but that information was from a previous outage that ended (finally) back in May 2014. It had lasted for many months.

The post by MFR401 at the start of this thread refers to a new outage, which I just happened to notice myself about an hour ago, which is what brought me here.

I have no idea what's going on this time, and the NWS hasn't posted any explanation anywhere.

I would like to know what's happening and why and what's being done about it. My tax dollars pay for this service.

Regards,

Frank.

FrankNY

No reason given

Just located a Public Information Statement issued 04/15/2016 04:04:23 PM EDT. It reads as follows.

Code:
NOUS41 KOKX 152003
PNSOKX
CTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-
160015-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
403 PM EDT FRI APR 15 2016

NOAA WEATHER RADIO STATION KWO35 OUT OF NEW YORK CITY...OPERATING
ON A FREQUENCY OF 162.550 MHZ IS OUT OF SERVICE.
ESTIMATED TIME OF RETURN TO SERVICE HAS YET TO BE DETERMINED.

$$

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Hope that this doesn't turn into another extended outage.

The extended 2013-2014 outage is documented on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KWO35

Frank.

ecps92

Guess NOAA needs to update their own web pages

IF you WANT to know, call them

US Dept of Commerce
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
National Weather Service
New York, NY
175 Brookhaven Avenue
Upton, NY 11973
631-924-0517

Bill (ecps92), thanks for your post, but that information was from a previous outage that ended (finally) back in May 2014. It had lasted for many months.

The post by MFR401 at the start of this thread refers to a new outage, which I just happened to notice myself about an hour ago, which is what brought me here.

I have no idea what's going on this time, and the NWS hasn't posted any explanation anywhere.

I would like to know what's happening and why and what's being done about it. My tax dollars pay for this service.

Regards,

Frank.

FrankNY

Bill, thank you for the information.

KWO35 is back on the air as I write this, but an updated Public Information Statement hasn't been issued, so I expect that transmissions may be intermittent until the problem, whatever it may be, is fully resolved.

The NOAA Weather Radio Outages page still lists KWO35 as being "OUT OF SERVICE" - even though it's actually on the air.

NOAA Weather Radio - Viewing Outages

Frank.

Spec

If you enter a report of an outage on the link FrankNY listed in his comment and you include an e-mail they will respond within a couple of days with a reply.

Darkstar350

Looks like they may have worked on it a bit
Seems to be having less problems however it sounds like they changed the voice?
Could just be me but the new voice is a bit harder to understand - its maybe a bit faster or higher pitched...

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Yes this is the new voice finally we got it👍🤗😊

FrankNY

New Voice on KWO35

I'm liking the new voice. Sounds somewhat more coherent than the previous voices, one of which was male and the other of which was female.

Which has gotten me to wondering... So far, all that I'm hearing is a male voice. Does he have a girlfriend, or has she been permanently retired? :)

With regard to the new voice, overall accuracy of pronunciation seems improved, with fewer artifacts.

As an aside, I see that the NOAA Web site continues to list KWO35's 'Status' as "DEGRADED". Does anyone happen to know whether this situation will ever be resolved? Just curious.

Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.