VTL Monograph Update in Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I plan to release a new version of my article on NY scanning laws sometime this year.

I need reports, if any, of attempts to prosecute ham operators, GMRS licensees or any other authorized mobile radio users under Section 397 (the scanner law) or any of the newer sections that relate to mobile phones and electronic devices.

To be given any probative weight and/or considered for inclusion, such reports must identify an individual and/or court case sufficiently that I can verify it. I will not be publishing anyone's names in the article. As in the 2005 edition, I will only mention counties and towns involved and what type of radio license the person had, if any.

For example, I would say something like, "An amateur radio operator in Troy was ticketed for violating Section 1225-c of the V&T for using a handheld amateur transceiver in his car."

Any incidents since 2005 are of interest. Thanks in advance for any help.

73 de Dave, NF2G

KE7JFF

I asked one of my law enforcement friends in Albany if he's heard of anything and he said he's heard of this one:

In 2007, A ham from Georgia was in New York on I-88 from PA around Binghampton. He was pulled over for something minor by NYSP when the trooper noticed he had one commercial radio running without a mic attached mounted in his console; the trooper asked him about it and of course admitted he was listening to NYSP. The tropper advised him he would have to ticket him for 397 and of course did. The ham was baffled but understood.

As my friend understands, he contested the ticket and got it dismissed mainly due to the fact he is a resident of Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.