Question for people living in Erie County - Should I buy a HP1 or 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

5Rya

Hello, I currently have an Undien BCT15X and would like to either upgrade to the HP1 or 536HP. As I have not seen any P25 Phase II channels in Erie County I don't think I will need the HP2. The only reason I am thinking about the 536HP is that DMR was just announced on it. Are there any major DMR channels that are in Erie County? I will be buying one of the two on eBay and the prices between the two are somewhat large so I am questioning if the 536HP is worth the extra money. Lastly does one of them receive transmissions more clearly or are they about the same? Thanks

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I don't hahve the HP-1 but I do have the HP2 a well as the 536. In my honest opinion, the 536 has a much better receiver and is more sensitive, yet does not overload in a high RF environment. In addition, the 536 does P25 Phase II, which I believe is becoming more active in Western New York. 536 handles P25 trunking slightly better than the HP. If you have a friend up there that has the scanners, take a listen.

nyair1

Your probably better off with the 536. There is DMR active now in erie county and i wouldn't be surprised to see more coming. It seems like the 536 is going to be upgradable with more features in the future also. This is a nice that uniden is seeing the need to be able to add features to the radio down the road as radio systems change.

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
I live in the Northtowns and have had the 536 since 2014, I'm very happy with it, like Chris said, it supports updates.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Phase 2

Chautauqua County is rolling out a P2 system. Past statements from "officials" in print would lead me to believe it would be encrypted. Too soon to tell.

I own a 536, it is a little hard of hearing on VHF and UHF in particular. That might be an issue for you if you like to listen to out of town stuff. 800 works pretty darn well in sensitivity and decoding. There are a lot of haters of the 536, but I like mine, have no regrets, I am impressed with it, and would do it again. Sentinel is OK to work with, it programs easy for me with the RR database tied to Sentinel.

I have no experience with the HP, and not sure on the programming software.

Status
Not open for further replies.