Scanning in nyc

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2IHD

Hello fellow New Yorker's Looking to get back into the scanning realm and wanted to ask what scanners are best suited for the tri state area ?

MStep

Hello fellow New Yorker's Looking to get back into the scanning realm and wanted to ask what scanners are best suited for the tri state area ?

If you want to cover digital as well as analog traffic, you'll have to spring for either the Uniden 436 portable or the similar Uniden 536 base/mobile unit.

Yes, they are some of the most expensive scanners out there right now, but well worth the price. Out of the box, covers conventional and trunked including digital P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2. Additional firmware upgrades (not free, but user installable) for Provoice and DMR digital traffic, conventional and trunked.

These units will provide the most you can hear with any scanner.

DHAS12

From the looks of it you can listen to most NYC frequencies including NYPD, FDNY and EMS with an analog scanner. looks like you will need a P25 capable scanner to listen to Jersey. I have to agree with MStep and recommend the Uniden 436. It's a really nice portable scanner. All you have to do is enter your zip code and it will program everything around you in automatically, it is P25 phase 2 capable, and there is a DMR update coming soon for it.

KC2IHD

Thank you Gentleman for your reply's. I took a look @ the frequency's in the (NY) tri state area and it looks like with the exception of the state of (NJ) they are 95 percent analog. Very little Digital stuff going on or should I say in my immediate area . So for starters I was looking @ the BC-15X to cover these frequency's and as the world turns move up to the digital stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.