NYC Marathon DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
A reminder for all the guys scouting DMR in NYC. Sunday, Nov 6th, just 12 days away, the NYC Marathon takes place. The NYRR and some support services will continue the usual of using rented DMR radios from BearCom in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ.

I don't have the frequencies, but I doubt anyone in the city will have a hard time finding them on race day.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I find activity for the Boston Marathon up to a week before the actual event. There are some events the day before the actual race, but the radio shop usually does setup and testing during the work week before the event. It can give you great information if they mention channel names over the air.

Boston used three different Motorola Capacity Plus sites (one near the start for start communications, one midway for course communications, and one near the finish for finish communications), a couple of non-trunked repeaters, and a couple of direct frequencies for short range communications.

73 Eric

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
New York Road Runners generally establish the command post in Central Park on Friday and Saturday. So I would say around 12N on Friday would be the time to start hunting.

n2nov

The rented radios are using OneVoice on Site 4 (1515 Broadway) and Site 5 (700 Victory, SI). There seems to be talkgroups that are linked between the two sites. The one talkgroup that has been most active seems to be a command talkgroup. I don't have anything set up to read the color codes or talkgroups.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Connect Plus is similar to some other multi-site trunking systems, a talkgroup appears on the site because at least one radio is affiliated to the site on the talkgroup. It is possible to lock a radio to a site rather than let it roam the system.

The talkgroups associated with the start would tend to be on Site 5 and the finish would tend to be on Site 4. Course talkgroups would tend to be on both sites.

There should also be activity during the pre-race events as well. I see the opening ceremony is late this afternoon. There is a Health and Wellness Expo that opened yesterday.

73 Eric

n2nov

In looking at the wiki, conversing with SJW in the multi-state thread and a little snooping around, the Color Code is 1 for the NYC sites. User IDs pop up on different frequencies with each transmission like the older trunked sites that we are used to.

n2nov

Hey stranger! Those numbers are actually user ID numbers. The marathon rental radios seem to be in the 64000 and 65000 ranges. The color code will be the same for everyone using the 15 repeaters on each site. 15 repeaters x 2 timeslots = 30 possible spots at one time. You will see spots on both sites with the same traffic when they are linked. I guess they want to make sure that critical channels are covered between the two sites' coverage areas.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hey stranger! Those numbers are actually user ID numbers. The marathon rental radios seem to be in the 64000 and 65000 ranges.

He's looking for the Talkgroup ID's of those being used for the marathon, not the User ID's. As with most other trunked systems, there is a big difference between the two.

The color code will be the same for everyone using the 15 repeaters on each site.

While that happens to be true for most of the NYC sites, it is not true in general with this system. There are a wide variety of color codes used for each repeater at each site. Be careful when making generalized statements, it tends to lead to confusion later on. :wink:

n2nov

I am aware of the difference in talkgroups and user IDs as well as color code usage on various sites. The four sites for NYC proper all use color code 1 per the wiki and it does work when listening to sites 4 (Manhattan) and 5 (Staten Island) on my MD-380. In promiscuous mode (Travis Goodspeed firmware), the only thing that is showing matches the user IDs in the marathon rented radios as each radio has a unique ID number in it.

n2nov

I received a message to drill down into each site link on the database page. There it shows sites 4, 5 & 6 use color code 1 except for 472.0625 using color code 2 on site 5. Site 7 in Glen Oaks/Queens is all over the place with their color codes.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Hi Charlie and GTR,
Yes if you happen to catch the talkgroup or talkgroups it would help so I can scan all of the sites and lock out all of the talkgroups I already have for the entire system so I don't have to listen to them. This way just in case the talkgroup might be simulcast on a few sites I will have the best chance in hearing it. When I am at home, my antenna system does hear all of those sites, but if I am on the road, not much of a chance hearing those two sites from here in Ct. with a small portable scanner antenna.
What I am doing now is setting up a whole new duplicate Onevoice system on my Whistler, locking out all of the talkgroups that I have already logged and saved, and just scan all the sites for any new talkgroups that pop up from here on out (Wildcard mode)

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
That is correct on ID's, also 220007 and 220009 showing up as well.

n2nov

Any chatter of UPS trucks, colored villages, Dunkin Donuts, gates, etc are currently on the Start Village TG at Ft Wadsworth.

n2nov

So far I have heard the Start Village (setup operations at Ft Wadsworth and runs to Home Depot) and Command (talking about today's run and sweep vehicle) talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.