Livingston County NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0BDW

Has anyone had any success in getting their scanner to pick up Livingston County's new P25 Phase 2 system? Send me a message if you'd like to try; we're having no luck getting our scanner for the fire hall configured (see thread).

It is a very low use system at the moment, but I can arrange for some activity if anyone wants to test. It should pick up significantly after the first of the year.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm surprised that this system is not yet in the database. I'd like to correct that, which would probably make it easier for you to actually receive it.

What information do you have to date about this system?

By the way, I saw your other thread, and you should not be setting this system up as X2-TDMA. Set it up as a standard P25 system in the Uniden scanner, otherwise it will not work correctly. (Not all TDMA is equal. X2-TDMA was Motorola's proprietary version of TDMA on P25 prior to the APCO P25 Phase II standard getting approved a number of years ago. For all intents and purposes, X2-TDMA is a thing of the past; a very few handful of older systems may still use it, but no new systems will.)

N0BDW

I'm surprised that this system is not yet in the database. I'd like to correct that, which would probably make it easier for you to actually receive it.

What information do you have to date about this system?

By the way, I saw your other thread, and you should not be setting this system up as X2-TDMA. Set it up as a standard P25 system in the Uniden scanner, otherwise it will not work correctly. (Not all TDMA is equal. X2-TDMA was Motorola's proprietary version of TDMA on P25 prior to the APCO P25 Phase II standard getting approved a number of years ago. For all intents and purposes, X2-TDMA is a thing of the past; a very few handful of older systems may still use it, but no new systems will.)

I was surprised too but suspect that it is due to a lack of activity on the system. No subscribers are using it yet - the only radios that are out there are for training purposes.

I'll send you a PM.

N0BDW

Any idea how long it usually takes for the Uniden database to catch up with the RR database? Just tried to pull down an update to include this system and Sentinel says I'm already up to date (but still missing this entry).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Uniden starts importing the RR database on Sunday, for update availability on Monday.

However, the system will not show up in Sentinel until there is at least one talkgroup listed in the RR database. So at present, you're not going to see the system in Monday's update unless one or more talkgroups are added before Sunday.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Highway departments are already operating on the system.

d_strong

Livingston County

I'm not getting any activity on this system, and I used sentinel to import the system on my BCD536HP. I'm I located in Monroe County.

hfd26

We have found that u have to analyze the system quiet often both on 536 and 436. Are u using the scanner for mobile use of stationary use?. Mobile use has been a challenge, the scanners don't handle the simulcast very well if at all unless u analyze the system. Stationary scanners have been workin good with a yagi antenna. I haven't had any luck getting the system outside the county mobility. I

hfd26

We have found that u have to analyze the system quiet often both on 536 and 436. Are u using the scanner for mobile use of stationary use?. Mobile use has been a challenge, the scanners don't handle the simulcast very well if at all unless u analyze the system. Stationary scanners have been workin good with a yagi antenna. I haven't had any luck getting the system outside the county mobility. Highway is the only ones using the system full time now until police,fire and ems get radios installed. There are only a hand full of portables out for fire/ems for training.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A friend in Rochester reports severe simulcast multipath issues trying to receive the Livingston system. Not a whole lot you can do about it, unfortunately.

hfd26

U might have better luck with a yagi. A friend of mine set one up and says it's much better

N0BDW

I'm using the stock antenna on my BCD536HP in my shack.

Yeah -- unfortunately almost certainly not going to work with the stock antenna. At a minimum you may need an outdoor antenna. We don't even have coverage with on-system mobiles into much of Monroe County.

Depending on your location in Monroe County a highly directional yagi pointed directly at one of the tower sites may be needed. That is what I've ended up doing for the two scanners I have listening to the system.

As hfd26 said we've found entering analyze mode and analyzing the system until the Q (quality) meter reaches a reasonable level seems to be necessary every time the radio reboots. I'd really like to find out why this is necessary but I've had no response to my thread in the Uniden Tech Support forum yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.