NYSP XB F Repeater 853.9500

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if this is up and running ? Havent been able to hear anything just dont know if im too far away.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They are mobile repeaters, and as the note says in the database: "Very low power, you need to be close to the Troop car to hear them."

So unless you're within a few hundred yards of a troop car, you'll never hear anything. Certainly not from Pennsylvania, so don't even waste time programming them.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
ok on the repeater. How come i only hear dispatch and never the patrol car ? im right on the border of PA and NY by 84 where they patrol.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't know where exactly in Pike County you are, but it's not surprising that you're not receiving the mobiles. Unless a troop car is on the west side of Greenville Mtn, you're probably not going to hear much activity on 154.935. You might want to disable the PL on that frequency to see if you pick anything up, since there are multiple PL's in use (146.2 and 110.9 for that area). Also realize that a lot of the time the troop cars answer very quickly, so if you have the default scan delay of 2 seconds, you'll miss a lot.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
in Matamoras /Milford area right across the Delaware River . What kind of system is that where i cant hear them ? And why cant I hear them ?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They don't use repeaters, if that is what you're asking. It's a duplex system, meaning the base transmits on 155.535 and the mobiles transmit on 154.935. If there are no troop cars in the area, you won't hear them.

As I noted in my previous post, Greenville Mtn is blocking most of the signal from the mobiles. Matamoras is a very low lying area in a valley, so you're not going to hear all that much as far as mobiles on the east side of Greenville Mtn heading Orange County.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
So if theres a call by the Port Exit they cant use radios im guessing.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Huh??? They can use their radios just fine. My point is that YOU won't pick up the troop car mobiles unless they are on the west side of Greenville Mtn, down near Exits 2 or 1 on I84.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No.

The fact that you can't receive the troop car mobiles down in a valley in Westfall PA has no bearing on their radio system. You're just not in a good location to receive them, except for maybe the occasional transmissions from the Port Jervis/Greenville Mtn area. You have to adjust your expectations based on what you are trying to listen to from your location.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
i am up on a hill 1300 ft elevation, thats why im wondering why i dont hear anything.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Handheld or base scanner? Outdoor antenna, or the antenna that came with the scanner? What is your squelch set to? How much other stuff are you scanning? Do you have the default 2 second delay enabled on the NYSP frequencies?

There are so many variables to consider. It's not enough to just say "I don't hear them, why?"

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Handheld or base scanner? Outdoor antenna, or the antenna that came with the scanner? What is your squelch set to? How much other stuff are you scanning? Do you have the default 2 second delay enabled on the NYSP frequencies?

There are so many variables to consider. It's not enough to just say "I don't hear them, why?"

base and handheld , both running the stock collapsible antennas. i have analog squelch so its just set to where the noise goes off. yes the delay is 2 seconds . I hear the Troop F base clear as a bell .

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There are multiple base stations for Troop F on 155.535, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to.

In any case, you cannot compare hearing a high powered base station whose antenna is mounted at an elevated site, with a relatively low power mobile radio whose antenna is 4 feet off the ground. Getting good reception of the base has little to no bearing on the ability to hear the mobiles. Nor does it mean that because you can't hear the mobiles using a scanner indoors with the stock antenna, that Troop F doesn't hear them; they can and do. Apples and oranges.

Without knowing exactly where you are in Pike County, there's really nothing more to add. You mention the Matamoras and Milford area, but those two boroughs are separated by Westfall. In the past you've mentioned Dingman, which is quite a bit further west than Matamoras, assuming you mean the township.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I live by pocono woodlands off rt 6 i checked elevation i am 100 feet higher than greenville Mountain . dont know if that makes a difference or not. That screenshot i had was horrible i hope this one is better.

Attachments

• Screenshot (431).jpg
    Screenshot (431).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ah okay I see now, you're up near where Sawkill Rd passes under 84.

When you say "in Matamoras /Milford area right across the Delaware River", I think you're right outside of Port Jervis, maybe in Westfall or along Rt 6/209, when in fact you're nearly 10 miles west of Matamoras in Dingman Township. That's a huge difference, especially given you're trying to receive mobile radios using stock antennas indoors.

The fact is that you're simply too far from the state line to hear the mobiles. Forget that you can hear SP Middletown on 155.535, it has no bearing on whether you can hear the mobiles or not from your location.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
ok got you , I guess im so used to listening to NJSP where you hear everything on their system. and when you say where i live 90% of time people say wheres that .

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
what about other law enforcment over by you any good ones i would hear ?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm intimately familiar with the Woodlands, so I know exactly where you are in the area. Without some sort of outdoor antenna, you have basically no chance of hearing Troop F mobiles. Even with an outdoor antenna it would be very difficult to hear all but a couple of transmissions when they are up at the top of 84 where it starts to crest in Greenville.

NJSP is on a trunked system, which is obviously a much different animal. There's a simulcast site for that system on High Point not too far from the monument, so as you can imagine from seeing that thing while driving all over Pike County, it's no surprise that the signal on 860.9625 comes in like gangbusters where you are, even with the rubber ducky on the portable scanner inside the house.

Same goes for the 700 MHz NJICS P25 system, Site 26 is on High Point also. There's not much activity on that site, except for some DOT activity when they're plowing. Also try Site 27 which is in Walpack and also comes in pretty good. Unfortunately you're not going to hear much of anything on either site, as the NJSP is still on 800 MHz and very rarely does a unit affiliate with the 700 MHz system in Sussex County. Sometimes you'll hear the Passaic County Sheriff on Site 26, so if you have a TDMA scanner keep an ear out for them also.

I just thought of something...are you able to receive Port Jervis PD's repeater where you are? If it doesn't come in that well, then that confirms that you really have no chance of hearing any NYSP mobiles, since they'd be in roughly the same area and the mobiles put out less power with mobile antennas, not a fixed base station antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.