RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 7:07 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Eastman Kodak Rochester TRS

Does anyone know the current status of the Kodak Park 800 MHz Motorola trunked system?

I have not listened for several months and today I can not find any control channel activity on any of their licensed frequencies. Activity had been down to just a few Security and Fire TGs plus the power plant that is now operated by a separate company. Given the old technology and the declining number of users I would not be surprised if it is deprecated.

I don't see any new licenses and no activity on any of their old conventional frequencies.

I am checking to see if Security and Fire may be on one of the area private carrier trunked systems but I have not found anything yet.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2017, 6:35 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Worked on the system a couple years ago and they had all new radios with the nextel rebanding. Last time i was in Rochester it was still on air but its been about a year.
Old 09-13-2017, 8:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2hz View Post
Does anyone know the current status of the Kodak Park 800 MHz Motorola trunked system?

I have not listened for several months and today I can not find any control channel activity on any of their licensed frequencies. Activity had been down to just a few Security and Fire TGs plus the power plant that is now operated by a separate company. Given the old technology and the declining number of users I would not be surprised if it is deprecated.

I don't see any new licenses and no activity on any of their old conventional frequencies.

I am checking to see if Security and Fire may be on one of the area private carrier trunked systems but I have not found anything yet.
Kodak Park is no longer the industrial giant that it once was. Many of the buildings that were full of employees producing great products have been torn down to get them off the tax rolls. I don't think there's much left of the fire department which was at one time a premier hazmat response agency.

I would not expect to hear much traffic on their system these days.
Old 09-13-2017, 9:04 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2hz View Post
... I have not listened for several months and today I can not find any control channel activity on any of their licensed frequencies...
9/13/2017
Control Channel on 864.2625
Old 09-13-2017, 9:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagerGeek View Post
9/13/2017
Control Channel on 864.2625
Very strange since the signal used to be strong and I hear nothing on 864.2625 now. My receiver and antenna are OK since I am getting signals from the Monroe County MDT system on nearby channels at their normal strength.

I wonder if Kodak made an antenna and power change for on-site coverage only since I am in Brighton. There is no trace of a signal on 864.2625 today even with the squelch open.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I apologize for the false alarm about the system being off the air. It is indeed still active, although not very busy, but now with a weak signal at my location.

In the past, I had consistent reception on my base receiver with a discone in the attic and marginal reception on my hand held limited to a location near a west facing window. I am on the wrong side of the Pinnacle Hills for line of sight to Kodak Park so reception is probably via reflections.

Last evening I heard nothing on the hand held so I checked for control channels on the base receiver and heard nothing. After the report from tpg that 864.2625 was still active I walked around with the hand held and got a weak signal at some different locations than before. I then switched the base receiver from the discone to a mag mount cellular antenna and I could also get weak reception with the antenna at some locations.

It is possible that Kodak has made some system change but it is also possible that something has just disrupted the marginal signal path to my location.

tpg - thanks for the prompt response that enabled me to confirm the situation.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You bet

tpg
Old 09-13-2017, 2:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know this for sure, but it is possible that the building that had the original transmitter site is no longer standing and the site was moved.