RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New York Radio Discussion Forum

New York Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New York.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 4:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You may be hearing the next closest transmitter on 162.550 I believe it''s up in New London Connecticut. VHF signals can travel pretty far in the summer, especially when there's a warm humid air mass in place.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

NWR Stations Listing for Delaware

Hearing WXJ94 on 162.550 mhz in Orange County NY

S5 On icom R8600 receiver 0110 hours .
Old 07-21-2018, 3:24 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Are there actually any efforts to get this station back on the air? NYC is the largest, most densely populated market in the country and while it may not be in tornado alley, it still faces risks from hurricanes and other severe weather. I can't understand the lack of urgency for restoring this station given how the FCC usually makes emergency broadcast infrastructure a priority. We know from past experience that cell phone, radio and TV signals can fail (9/11 and Sandy come to mind). NOAA weather radio seems like an important backup resource at the very least.

If it really is a matter of losing the antenna site lease and money is the problem, why not relocate to a federal government building? Presumably this could be done at a reasonable cost, if any, to a federal government agency such as NWS. The Jacob K. Javits Federal Office Building, Ted Weiss Federal Building, or one of the court houses around Foley Square could all probably support a respectable signal from a rooftop antenna. Better than what we have now, that's for sure.
Old 07-23-2018, 4:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default KWO-35

The last info that I received (07/13) was that the General Services Administration Law Department was reviewing a new site lease agreement for KWO-35.
Old 07-26-2018, 3:05 PM
NJ Data Base Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Exclamation Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 feed going OFF LINE 8-1-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2YYN View Post
With KWO35 down for the interim. Tony has updated his KWO35 audio feed to cover the WXM60 NWR out of Southard, Monmouth County, New Jersey.

New York City Area NOAA Weather Radio KWO35

Thanks - Tony

Trying to fill the temporary coverage gap here in North Jersey, I just set up a NWR feed KZZ31 162.500 out of Hardyston,Sussex Co, NJ covering NW (North) Jersey, NE PA and S New York (Orange, Rockland & Sullivan Co's).

Here is the link:
Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 Thank you,

On or about August 1, 2018
the Hardyston Area NOAA Weather Radio KZZ31 feed will be taken OFF LINEpermanently.

First, let me say Thank You to all who have listened to this feed over the last eight months.
Though this feed has been ON LINE since 11-30-2018, this was an attempt to fill the forecast coverage gap caused by the loss of the KWO35 162.5500 Transmitter out of New York City as well as covering listeners in the KZZ31 162.5000 area from Hardyston, in NW New Jersey.
Disappointingly the listenership to this feed on a daily basis has been usually less than three (3) and most of the time itís been zero (0) listeners.
Surprisingly, even during severe weather events, the listenership never exceed seven (7) to ten (10) listeners only.
Although the audio and reception signal quality are good, evidently this feed IS NOTreaching the intended target and desired listening audience. Therefore and regrettably the decision has been made to discontinue this feed.
If anyone else is interested to pick up a host this feed with their own equipment,
they are free to do so after August 1, 2018.

NE NJ listeners please use this feed to monitor the area:
New York City Area NOAA Weather Radio KWO35

Thank you,
K2YYN
7-26-18

If I PM you about a submission, kindly reply promptly within 72hours or your submission may be rejected.
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM

They should put KWO-35 on the Alpine Tower in New Jersey. They wouldn't need a lot of power from there lowering interference problems, and at 960ft should cover all the way up to Albany and New Haven CT as our RR channel does.
Old 08-01-2018, 2:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Alpine would hit the suburbs nicely but building penetration in the city is an issue. Same for First Mountain in West Orange, NJ. 94.7 WNSH broadcasts from there and gets out OK regionally but not great in the city itself.

For that reason I suspect we'll see KWO-35 end up with a Manhattan location again. Or at the very least maybe from Jersey City. Goldman Sachs tower is nearly 800' there. 99 Hudson Street will be at 900', but afaik it's still under construction.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Default noaa weather ny

does anybody know when that is coming back on
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovescanner View Post
does anybody know when that is coming back on
You might want to watch the NOAA Weather Radio webpage for news. Expanding the special notice for KWO35, apparently it is a lease problem. WXM60 on 162.450 -- NOAA Weather Radio - County Coverage for New Jersey -- may be an alternative. HTH.
Old 08-10-2018, 3:47 PM

Don't hold your breath, KWO-35 was said to be interfering with something while using it's FCC assigned frequency.
I use 162.500 it covers NJ and NY pretty well.
I get it pretty low on my Uniden SDS-100 but it comes in.