RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > News and Events

News and Events Mother gives birth to bigfoot-like child! Africa sinks! If it happens you'll read it here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 3:23 PM

Default Deputies hold candlelight 'vigil' for jailed officer

PHOENIX -- Deputies from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office held a candlelight vigil Thursday night to
support one of their colleagues currently being held in jail.

Meantime, a judge in the case said the detention officer would be in jail until at least Christmas.

Detention Officer Stoddard was found in contempt of court last month for walking up to an attorney's desk in
a Phoenix courtroom and removing a document from files sitting on the desk.

A judge had ordered Stoddard to apologize to a Phoenix attorney to avoid jail time, but he refused.

Stoddard then self-surrendered Tuesday and is now in a MCSO jail.

Deputies hold Phoenix candlelight 'vigil' for jailed officer - ABC15 News

Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2009, 6:38 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good

Maybe some LEOs still working can correct me if I'm off base with this. I feel the deputy should have passed this issue up to his supervisor & if the supervisor wasn't sure of his authority, he should have approached the prosecutor who more then likely would have either approached the defense attorney and/or verbally requested to the presiding magistrate that he & the defense attorney approach the bench with this matter. No way would any prosecuter ever allow a defense attornys private investigator to remove any materials from his table, so the same should apply, however the judge should never had have the deputy jailed for not apologizing, why? what purpose would that serve except to undermine the deputys authority in that coutroom in the future, especially when that sorry excuse of a defense attorney is in attendance. This is a prime example of the crap that "real world cops" endure that never gets reflected on these golden glory police shows.

PS: Mike, you start some very good thought provoking threads, keep up the good work, maybe the moderators or administrators will let you start your own forum, keep up the good work.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited by FLRAILMAN; 12-05-2009 at 6:45 PM..
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM

LOL FLRAILMAN, no forum for me.

I think I would have to agree with your take on this incident in it's entirety.
My first knee-jerk reaction was: fire the guy on the spot and hang him high,
but, right or wrong, he was only acting on his interpretation of the higher-up's policies.

Nevertheless, it made me very, very uncomfortable to see it on video.

Last edited by mikepdx; 12-05-2009 at 10:12 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 1:20 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

He should be fired
Old 12-06-2009, 2:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I saw the courtroom video. This Deputy violated the laws of his State and the Federal Rights of the accused. He violated each and every law at every level that applies to Attorney - Client privilege, due process, the defendant's right to a fair trial, unlawful search & seizure, and other laws.

He demeaned the integrity of being a law enforcement officer. Joe Arpaio should also be in jail for instructing the Deputy to disobey a court order that was way too lenient. Joe Arpaio put his own Deputy in jail by threatening the Deputy's job if he followed the court order. What was this deputy to do?

I would have thrown my badge at Joe and told him what to do with it. There are other departments to work for. I know the defendant wasn't a picture of what an angel is, but let's be real about the fact that his rights MUST be upheld or else all of the protection afforded to all of us is in grave jeopardy!

A scumbag has rights, the same rights we have. The deputy that he handed the papers to should also be held accountable. I see all sides of this story, I don't want to come down on just one side, but the greater wrong was committed by the court deputy. I hope the defendant's case is thrown out if it hasn't been already. A personal message to Joe Arpaio: You're not any better than the State prisoners within the confines of your jail! YOU violate prisoner's rights and call it anything but what it is. You're the nation's worst scumbag! You're a horrible excuse of a Sheriff AND a human being! How can you allow your Deputies to engage in this type of behavior when any other Officer in any other Department would be catching anything but a break in a situation like this?

Joe Arpaio = County and State sanctioned lawlessness while using a badge and a title for an excuse!
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM

mikepdx, I smell blood, maybe it's time for you to poll this, what do you think?

FLRAILMAN
Old 12-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Does an officer deserve jail for taking lawyer's paperwork? - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Interesting points of view from both sides. BTW he is a court security gaurd and not a deputized law enforcement officer.

Last edited by Astrak; 12-06-2009 at 11:00 PM..
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrak View Post
Does an officer deserve jail for taking lawyer's paperwork? - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

Interesting points of view from both sides. BTW he is a court security gaurd and not a deputized law enforcement officer.
Sheriff's Deputies who work in the court system ARE sworn LEO'S! You cannot wear a uniform and a badge, carry a gun, have the authority to detain / arrest in any state unless you are a LEO! The training these guys go through is the same training that a street LEO goes through and they earn the same credentials of certification. They are county officers, not guards.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC9NCF View Post
Sheriff's Deputies who work in the court system ARE sworn LEO'S! You cannot wear a uniform and a badge, carry a gun, have the authority to detain / arrest in any state unless you are a LEO! The training these guys go through is the same training that a street LEO goes through and they earn the same credentials of certification. They are county officers, not guards.
That info is per the article. Although in AZ I'm pretty sure you can carry a gun, wear a uniform and badge and have the authority to detain and arrest someone without being a sworn deputy or city police officer.

Arizona Department of Public Safety-Licensing Unit
Old 12-07-2009, 1:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The statute you posted applies to PRIVATE SECURITY GUARDS, which these officers are NOT. Unless Maricopa County contracts with a private agency to handle courtroom law enforcement matters, court enforcement duties, etc.

Are these "officers" working for the county or for a private agency? If they are working for a private agency wearing a badge and uniform, then they are whackers, wannabe's!!

So, tell us and show proof of who these guys are. Are they employed by Maricopa County as sworn officers or are they private agency lowlifes?
Old 12-07-2009, 2:47 AM

They might be but you stated that "You cannot wear a uniform and a badge, carry a gun, have the authority to detain / arrest in any state unless you are a LEO!" That statement is incorrect, as I said, read the article I provided. As stated in the article "For starters, to be clear, Officer Stoddard is not a sworn Maricopa County Sheriff’s Deputy. " Officer could mean a multitude of things and/or the reporter could be incorrect.
Old 12-07-2009, 3:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Oops on my part!

If this guy isn't a sworn sheriff's deputy then why is he working in the courtroom wearing a badge and looking like a cop then? Arizona is strange if they allow non-sworn officers to work in their courts. What business did this guy have in this court room? Why did all of the other information out here besides this article say that Joe Arpaio is his boss and is the one giving him orders? This is quite a curious thing.

I can tell you that here in Illinois, if you aren't a sworn officer working for the Sheriff's Dept. or you're not a sworn officer testifying in a case, and if you aren't a court advocate / victim advocate, you are not working in the courtroom. Just the rules here.