I do not see, or understand how tracer rounds can start a fire at an indoor range. I especially dont see a range safety official letting their use continue. Tracers have been known to start brush fires. I know that in my military experience.
Tracer rounds in a military setting are for -
1. Marking a target for direct or indirect weapons fire.
2. Initiating a weapons attack.
3. Starting a fire near the enemy.
4. The obvious - keeping track of your weapons fire on target.
5. And other purposes I wont list here.
Tracer ammo.decreases the life of a weapons barrel,and should be used cautiously.
"I watched the world float to the dark side of the moon....."
------- 3 Doors Down