RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > News and Events

News and Events Mother gives birth to bigfoot-like child! Africa sinks! If it happens you'll read it here

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #181 (permalink)  
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
JoeyC's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarco View Post
This is the most appalling thread I have come across on this forum. There are criminals in all facets of life. Of course there is going to be misconduct and corruption amongst law enforcement. Statistically, it is as evident amongst the medical community, religious leaders, politicians, and even the very media that these article excerpts are referencing. Remember that despite an unfounded ignorant belief of some here, the majority are ethical, moral, and good. They have a hard thankless job that most couldn't do. I can find twice as many articles commending there efforts and everyday sacrifices. Why not point those out? I have a feeling that the few here who have had multiple negative experiences with law enforcement, have had these experiences for a reason. I don't believe you just happened to come across a bad cop. I believe good cops came across a bad you. Have you ever stopped to think that when multiple people act a certain way towards you, maybe you're the problem? Support law enforcement!

Those that salivate over the content of this thread share several traits.

They've most likely been arrested or at least detained for something questionable in their lifetimes.
For selfish reasons they do not agree with some laws and feel that they are routinely OK to break thus making those that enforce them the enemy.
They have problems with people in positions of authority in general.

They would never bother to point out anything positive as that would humanize the cop and discredit the premise of the thread.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #182 (permalink)  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM
feets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Idahoooooo!
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Those that salivate over the content of this thread share several traits.

They've most likely been arrested or at least detained for something questionable in their lifetimes.
For selfish reasons they do not agree with some laws and feel that they are routinely OK to break thus making those that enforce them the enemy.
They have problems with people in positions of authority in general.

They would never bother to point out anything positive as that would humanize the cop and discredit the premise of the thread.
Those that deny the content of this thread share several traits.

They're most likely weak and have been picked on as children.
For some selfish reason they think that police are above the law and they get their rocks off by seeking revenge for wrongs done to them in the past.
They are used to relying on people in positions of authority to get that revenge whether the general public had anything to do with it or not.

They would never bother to point out anything negative because that would discredit and harm their ability to act in a similar manner. Most likely, they have done the same things and gotten away with it. They don't want LE to be held accountable lest they themselves be held accountable.

Fact. 18 deputies arrested in one shot. Hopefully, the FBI takes their show on the road, they just scratched the surface.
Reply With Quote
  #183 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbarco View Post
This is the most appalling thread I have come across on this forum. There are criminals in all facets of life. Of course there is going to be misconduct and corruption amongst law enforcement. Statistically, it is as evident amongst the medical community, religious leaders, politicians, and even the very media that these article excerpts are referencing. Remember that despite an unfounded ignorant belief of some here, the majority are ethical, moral, and good. They have a hard thankless job that most couldn't do. I can find twice as many articles commending there efforts and everyday sacrifices. Why not point those out? I have a feeling that the few here who have had multiple negative experiences with law enforcement, have had these experiences for a reason. I don't believe you just happened to come across a bad cop. I believe good cops came across a bad you. Have you ever stopped to think that when multiple people act a certain way towards you, maybe you're the problem? Support law enforcement!

You seem to miss the point. I have also met a few good officers. In fact, I have never really ran across any who have personally abused me, however this is not about simply breaking rules or even about corruption.

You are right, there is corruption everywhere. Every group has a few deviants. I hope you remember that when someone takes hostages or goes on a rampage, and the media extensively points out that that person didn't trust government, that they were conservative, religious, or that they believed "wild conspiracy theories". I know this thread isn't necessarily about those folks. I'm just saying, you should take your own advice. It's easy to say that now, but when an event like I mentioned above takes place, I can see you, along with most of society, talking about these wackos and what we might do to stop them; painting them all with the same brush. Because one guy takes a little autistic boy down to a bunker, now anyone who doesn't trust the government must be evil, that sort of thing.

Back to what we were discussing though. This is about the abuse of power and the public's trust. Any time someone acuses a cop of misconduct, people see it on the news and most folks have a reaction similar to yours. The guy getting tazed, searched illegally, anully probed, beaten and tazed to death, etc, brought it on themselves. The cops don't even have to defend themselves. Folks like you do it for them, because you have an unquestioning trust for law enforcement.

Your statement that anyone who doesn't like cops must only feel that way, because they are disrespectful to them or they are a criminal themselves is proof of this belief, and serves as evidence that you are self righteous and eletist. Because of your unquestioning devotion to the police, you view yourself as far above all us thugs and trailer trash hicks. This is probably fine with you, but not with us. We don't value the opinion of a snob.

This extends to judges as well. If there are any leo's on here, I challenge you to please tell us the last time you got turned down for a search warrant. Judges simply rubber stamp everything the cops hand them. I'd be surprised if most judges even looked at it. You could probably get them to sign a document surrendering custody of all of their own children if you first told them it was a search warrant.

Because of this, the police know they can do whatever they want. Another problem is the lack of knollege most folks have. Some folks feel like they can't tell an officer no. If they ask to search, one might say it at first, but if the officer gives them some bs excuse, they simply back off and allow it. Even when someone is being tazed to death in the street, the bystanders do nothing. The cops know they can simply do whatever they want and they have the power to arrest, quite literally, anyone who offends them.

This makes leo's less used to hearing the word no. They become accustomed to everyone rolling over and cooperating, so they tend to get very upset when they encounter someone who doesn't cooperate.

Finally, power corrupts, quite simply. Cops, politicians, judges, they are all more susseptible to corruption, and if we don't stop them, they will give themselves more and more power over us.
Reply With Quote
  #184 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2013, 10:30 AM
feets's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Idahoooooo!
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9cra View Post
This makes leo's less used to hearing the word no. They become accustomed to everyone rolling over and cooperating, so they tend to get very upset when they encounter someone who doesn't cooperate.
^This^

I don't answer questions when pulled over(or any time). It is the fastest and most sure fired way to see a leo's face turn red.

My friend get's a big kick out of it when I tell him of the reaction. But then, he is a leo himself.
Reply With Quote
  #185 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2013, 8:55 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Because washing your car in public view is against the law. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVc_l_61oXI
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #186 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2013, 8:02 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Ever since I signed my first petition on Change.org I get all kinds of petitions delivered to my E-mail.

Here's something relevant. http://www.change.org/petitions/prot...share_petition
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #187 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2014, 1:44 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

VIDEO: Police smile as they slam inmate's head against wall | The Daily Caller
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #188 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2014, 1:51 AM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 4,457
Default

Florida Man Bites Neighbor's Ear Off Over a Cigarette
Reply With Quote
  #189 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 2:36 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
What's that have to do with police brutality?

So the guy bit an ear off. He should face time for his crime. I don't have a problem with it.

Try to stay on topic. Read the name of the title of this thread again..
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #190 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 2:56 AM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 4,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
What's that have to do with police brutality?

So the guy bit an ear off. He should face time for his crime. I don't have a problem with it.

Try to stay on topic. Read the name of the title of this thread again..

Exactly.

It goes as far to prove that you and every other "civilian" are all raging lunatics, as your incessant assertation that (all police) are out of control.

You keep looking for a boogeyman and out of a population of over three hundred million you seem shocked each time you find one. The media love this **** because they know there can be no reply from the other side. It's safe and easy sensationalism. The agency is legally restrained from replying, so is the officer. They know this. It's perfect low hanging fruit with zero cost or journalistic effort. Do you see them taking on the real political class, you know, the ones truly violating the masses en mass? Do you see them holding a lying national security director accountable? What about a lying secretary of state, one that could very well be the next president. The answer is no. Think back, when was the last time you heard a war body count on the news? Conveniently that stopped around 2008...hmm I wonder why. Why is that? It's because it's politically safe. A police department can't lock them out of a presidential briefing room or deny them access to certain high level officials for so called exclusive interviews. At one time (Watergate) the media attempted to act as watchdogs for the people. Those days are long gone. So instead it is safer and easier to beat the drum of oh no... the police are zombies all out to get us. Everyone is distracted because it's tangible, localized and seems immediate when in reality the larger threats are smiling at us from the tv.

Let me allow you in on a little secret. The local police are the portions of your government you should be least worried about. You would be quite surprised that in all reality your political viewpoints, from what I can gather from here, are pretty much laser like aligned with the majority of the officers I've met and believe me they hate dirty cops worse than you do. Nothing said should be taken as an excuse to ignore illegal behavior. I'm simply trying to open your eyes to the fact you are being distracted from the larger picture before you and your anxiety would be better spent on more realistic threats.

Oh and I love the sig line about voting . That's one I had not heard yet.

Last edited by mancow; 01-09-2014 at 3:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #191 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 6:50 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

mancow, it's not that I don't like the police, in fact when I was young I wanted to be an FBI agent or work in forensics. It's the fact that when you serve the people you are held to a higher standard. I watch Fox all the time and I rarely see this "low hanging fruit" mentioned on the news. It's mostly on the Internet. They are taking on the real political class. I see it all the time. In fact Chris Christie is in hot water right now.

Because of this incident I don't know if I should ever shot a guy holding up a store or something. This shows that the law is out of control in this country. Remember the Former Marine Who Opened Fire After an Arizona Couple Pulled a Gun on a Sears Employee? Police Have Submitted Charges…Against Him | Video | TheBlaze.com
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #192 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 7:04 PM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 4,457
Default

I know how you feel and it can seem that way. All I am saying is that at some point perception becomes reality. If you stop and run the numbers in your head it starts to sort of unravel. I mean really, if you think about just how many local sheriff and police agencies there are plus the various state ones the numbers become pretty large. Sure there are some real turds out there among them but for the most part it's people going to work, doing what they have to do the best they can and going home like any other job.

The thing that bothered me the absolute most lately was the Boston bombing response. That was a scene right out of 1930s Germany and the people stood idly by while they went house to house. That speaks more to the mind set of the people than the police in the end. It tells me that people are at the point that they believe Gov is the answer to all their problems. That's what's frightening.

As for taking on the political class I can't really agree. Sure there area few stories here and there but nobody is really digging in and asking the difficult questions of either side. Everything is a day or two max then it's gone. Someone should be rotting behind bars of Benghazi right now, or fast and furious, but nobody cares. It's easier to worry about some sensational story that's fun to talk about.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
mancow, it's not that I don't like the police, in fact when I was young I wanted to be an FBI agent or work in forensics. It's the fact that when you serve the people you are held to a higher standard. I watch Fox all the time and I rarely see this "low hanging fruit" mentioned on the news. It's mostly on the Internet. They are taking on the real political class. I see it all the time. In fact Chris Christie is in hot water right now.

Because of this incident I don't know if I should ever shot a guy holding up a store or something. This shows that the law is out of control in this country. Remember the Former Marine Who Opened Fire After an Arizona Couple Pulled a Gun on a Sears Employee? Police Have Submitted Charges…Against Him | Video | TheBlaze.com

Last edited by mancow; 01-09-2014 at 7:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #193 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2014, 9:31 PM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 4,457
Default

I could give you numerous examples of being turned down for a warrant but I agree the vast majority are approved. However the old saying correlation does not equate to causation holds true. It is similar to me asking you how many times you have been turned down for a loan. You don't go to a banker asking for one when you have bad credit and collections after you. You do your homework prior and have your house in order. You don't waste their time or your own unless you are confident in the result. This is the expected process. Taking half assed warrants to judges won't last long before you are rejected from the entire process and ridden out of the system in a wave of humiliation.

I have written more warrants than I can begin to count and I can tell you is not what you seem to think it is. Facts must be backed up in the affidavit. These are tangible facts that you must be able to produce on demand and often are during a suppression hearing.

Most warrants are approved simply because you don't go to the judge until all your you know what is in one sock. You learn this the hard way starting out. I can remember being sent away rejected over and over when I first started. The judge asked about details and then asked where in the affidavit the facts are supported. I had to go back and gather more Intel or add in more supporting detail over and over until he was satisfied. He knew I was new and was learning. It's part of the process and you are granted a bit of leeway starting out. However, if they suspect you aren't being truthful or are bolstering facts is going to be your *** in short order.

If you have never investigated a case, written a report, applied for a warrant, had it scrutinized by a prosecutor, awakened a pissed of judge at 3:00am to get it signed, executed it, returned it to a court, testified to it in court then testified again as if you were the one on trial at a suppression hearing then your opinion is just that, opinion. Talk to me when you have some experience to back up the hype.

Suggesting judges sign whatever, even something written by a child, is disgusting and ignorant. Is the equivalent of spitting the face of people who have dedicated their lives to adherance to law and proper process all because of willful malicious denigration for no other reason than grudge, stupidity or group think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9cra View Post
You seem to miss the point. I have also met a few good officers. In fact, I have never really ran across any who have personally abused me, however this is not about simply breaking rules or even about corruption.

You are right, there is corruption everywhere. Every group has a few deviants. I hope you remember that when someone takes hostages or goes on a rampage, and the media extensively points out that that person didn't trust government, that they were conservative, religious, or that they believed "wild conspiracy theories". I know this thread isn't necessarily about those folks. I'm just saying, you should take your own advice. It's easy to say that now, but when an event like I mentioned above takes place, I can see you, along with most of society, talking about these wackos and what we might do to stop them; painting them all with the same brush. Because one guy takes a little autistic boy down to a bunker, now anyone who doesn't trust the government must be evil, that sort of thing.

Back to what we were discussing though. This is about the abuse of power and the public's trust. Any time someone acuses a cop of misconduct, people see it on the news and most folks have a reaction similar to yours. The guy getting tazed, searched illegally, anully probed, beaten and tazed to death, etc, brought it on themselves. The cops don't even have to defend themselves. Folks like you do it for them, because you have an unquestioning trust for law enforcement.

Your statement that anyone who doesn't like cops must only feel that way, because they are disrespectful to them or they are a criminal themselves is proof of this belief, and serves as evidence that you are self righteous and eletist. Because of your unquestioning devotion to the police, you view yourself as far above all us thugs and trailer trash hicks. This is probably fine with you, but not with us. We don't value the opinion of a snob.

This extends to judges as well. If there are any leo's on here, I challenge you to please tell us the last time you got turned down for a search warrant. Judges simply rubber stamp everything the cops hand them. I'd be surprised if most judges even looked at it. You could probably get them to sign a document surrendering custody of all of their own children if you first told them it was a search warrant.

Because of this, the police know they can do whatever they want. Another problem is the lack of knollege most folks have. Some folks feel like they can't tell an officer no. If they ask to search, one might say it at first, but if the officer gives them some bs excuse, they simply back off and allow it. Even when someone is being tazed to death in the street, the bystanders do nothing. The cops know they can simply do whatever they want and they have the power to arrest, quite literally, anyone who offends them.

This makes leo's less used to hearing the word no. They become accustomed to everyone rolling over and cooperating, so they tend to get very upset when they encounter someone who doesn't cooperate.

Finally, power corrupts, quite simply. Cops, politicians, judges, they are all more susseptible to corruption, and if we don't stop them, they will give themselves more and more power over us.
Reply With Quote
  #194 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

And the autopsy showed no drugs in this man's system. This is just pathetic!

Cops found NOT guilty of murder in killing of Kelly Thomas | The Daily Caller

http://ktla.com/2014/01/13/verdict-r...-thomas-death/
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE

Last edited by poltergeisty; 01-14-2014 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #195 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2014, 6:12 AM
JoeyC's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
And the autopsy showed no drugs in this man's system. This is just pathetic!
Yes, just pathetic! A jury of their peers found the officers not guilty of the charges after hearing and seeing the EVIDENCE presented in the case. They did not rely on a mob mentality, youtube videos or the More prof that the police in this country are out of control RR thread to base their judgement. Oh my!

More proof that the people in this country are just sheeple I suppose!
Pathetic isn't it!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
        
  #196 (permalink)  
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Luke 10:25 friend.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #197 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
Yes, just pathetic! A jury of their peers found the officers not guilty of the charges after hearing and seeing the EVIDENCE presented in the case. They did not rely on a mob mentality, youtube videos or the More prof that the police in this country are out of control RR thread to base their judgement. Oh my!

More proof that the people in this country are just sheeple I suppose!
Pathetic isn't it!!
The justice system is not full prof, 100% accurate. The system as has been shown to fail time and time again. Many "jury's of their peers" have locked up innocent people. Had this been a black man Jesse Jackson and his ilk would be up in arms. Lets just take the Rodney King case for example. Due to their acquittal it sparked riots!

Quote:
July 5, 2011: Kelly Thomas was a 37-year-old homeless man suffering from schizophrenia and living on the streets of Fullerton, California. He was fatally beaten by members of the Fullerton Police Department. He passed away from his injuries on the 10th of July 2011. Unarmed and mentally ill, Thomas was shocked with tasers and beaten with flashlights by up to six police officers. An investigation into the beating has been launched and the FBI has become involved. A protest over the beating was held outside the Fullerton Police Department on 18 July 2011.[23] Four officers have been suspended and two have been charged with second degree murder and manslaughter.
Huge list of police brutality cases right here. List of cases of police brutality in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Police Brutality

The police need training on how to deal with people with mental health problems. You can't tell me that more than 4 cops couldn't place his hands behind his back.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #198 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 AM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeisty View Post
Ever since I signed my first petition on Change.org I get all kinds of petitions delivered to my E-mail.

Here's something relevant. http://www.change.org/petitions/prot...share_petition


Please, read the letter and have 3 more friends to sign the petition. Thank you! http://www.change.org/ab409?utm_sour...message_notice

THE LETTER:

TO: Committee on Criminal Justice
Representative and Chair, Joel Kleefisch
Room 307 North
State Capitol
P.O. Box 8952
Madison, WI 53708

Re: AB 409
Dear Members of the Committee
I am a retired City of Kenosha police detective with over 31 years of law enforcement experience. During my career with the Kenosha Police Department, I earned 57 awards and letters of commendation and completed the Wisconsin Department of Justice Death Investigation School, along with numerous other police related training programs. For nine years, I served on the Board of Directors of the Kenosha Professional Police Association, most of those years as the Association treasurer. I was also an active member of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association for nearly three decades.
I graduated from UW-Parkside with Summa Cum Laude honors and a triple major of sociology, history, and political science. I hold five secondary teaching licenses with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. I earned these licenses through the post-baccalaureate teacher certification program at UW-Milwaukee. I currently work as a full time social studies teacher at an alternative high school in Milwaukee for at-risk youth. In my spare time, I volunteer as an investigative consultant for the Chicago Innocence Project, where I work with college journalism students who intern with the project.
This letter, the attached affidavit with supporting documents, and my testimony will make many people uncomfortable. My testimony will address the elephant in this hearing room. We all know it is here. Most of us, including me, do not want to acknowledge it. I will be testifying about a law enforcement culture in some police agencies that fosters an environment where the concealment of facts and evidence, untruthfulness, and other unethical and criminal behavior by police officers is both tolerated, and in many cases, expected.
Only the most naïve among use will deny the evidence of the existence of police and prosecutor misconduct in their investigation duties.
On May 20, 2012, the National Registry of Wrongful Convictions issued a report titled, Wrongful Convictions in the United States, 1989–2012. This report, which received extensive media coverage upon its release, documented 873 individual exonerations in the United States from January, 1989 through the end of February, 2012. As of December 10, 2013, the number of individual exonerations is up to 1,255. Of these 1,255 individual felony exonerations, thirty-one are Wisconsin cases. Of these thirty-one Wisconsin exonerations, “official misconduct” is listed as a contributing factor in six of these cases. To put this in perspective, since 1989, it is confirmed that six Wisconsin citizens were deprived of their fundamental constitutional right of liberty by the misconduct of Wisconsin government officials. Taking a citizen’s liberty by official misconduct is just a notch below taking a citizen’s life.
The 2012 report also documents 1107 additional exonerations that occurred in groups due to thirteen police scandals where it was determined that law enforcement officers engaged in patterns of misconduct that affected the integrity of sets of criminal convictions.
Researchers concluded that the numbers of known individual and group exonerations is only a fraction of the total number of wrongful convictions that actually occur in the United States.
The report also lists the contributing causes for the wrongful convictions in the 873 cases of individual exonerations across categories of felonies. This data is contained in the table that follows that has been copied and pasted from page #40 of the 103-page report. The table shows that official misconduct, which includes perjury and failure to disclose exculpatory information or evidence by government agents, and perjury and false accusation, on the part of civilians, are the leading causes of the wrongful convictions in the set of 873 individual exonerations the report studies.

The Innocence Project is a New York based national “umbrella” innocence project. According to its web page, it is a “. . .national litigation and public policy organization dedicated to exonerating wrongfully convicted individuals through DNA testing and reforming the criminal justice system to prevent future injustice.”
The Innocence Project defines and illustrates “government [official] misconduct” as follows:
Common forms of misconduct by law enforcement officials include:
• Employing suggestion when conducting identification procedures
• Coercing false confessions
• Lying or intentionally misleading jurors about their observations
• Failing to turn over exculpatory evidence to prosecutors
• Providing incentives to secure unreliable evidence from informants

Common forms of misconduct by prosecutors include:
• Withholding exculpatory evidence from defense
• Deliberately mishandling, mistreating or destroying evidence
• Allowing witnesses they know or should know are not truthful to testify
• Pressuring defense witnesses not to testify
• Relying on fraudulent forensic experts
• Making misleading arguments that overstate the probative value of testimony
One may ask, “What does data regarding official misconduct in wrongful conviction cases have to do with AB-409, which is the subject of this hearing?” The link is clear. Some police officers and prosecutors commit perjury, conceal evidence and other critical information, and disregard basic rules of conflict of interest to deprive innocent citizens of their liberty by incarcerating them by wrongful conviction.

It is not a stretch to think they would engage in this type of misconduct to protect their co-workers from being held accountable for unlawful use of deadly force. It is the mirror image of wrongful conviction. This type of official misconduct is intended to shield a co-worker from being held accountable for unlawful use of deadly force, thus depriving a citizen of another fundamental constitutional right, the right to their life.

In the fall of 2012, Investigative Consultant Ira Robins asked me to provide an affidavit related to evidence that I possessed related to criminal misconduct by many high ranking City of Kenosha Police officials, including the Chief of Police. Mr. Robins submitted this affidavit, along with other information that he developed, to the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Mr. Robins asked for a federal investigation into a pattern and practice of criminal civil rights violations on the part of the Kenosha Police Department. Arguably, the most egregious of these civil rights violations was the death of Michael Bell at the hands of the Kenosha Police in November of 2004. Based on information that I have obtained, I believe the federal government is conducting this investigation. We will, of course, have to wait and see if indictments are issued.

My affidavit documented and provided evidence of numerous cases of concealment of evidence, altering of evidence, perjury, and other criminal acts by high ranking Kenosha Police officials, in addition to the numerous illicit acts involving the Kenosha Police investigation into the death of Michael Bell. Some, but not all, of this information is already available in documents that I filed with the City of Kenosha Police and Fire Commission, the Kenosha County District Attorney, and the Wisconsin Department of Justice. None of these agencies acted on this information. Their indolence ultimately forced the unresolved issues to be submitted to the federal government so they could step in and protect the interests and constitutional rights of Wisconsin citizens. Currently, the affidavit that I provided to the United States Department of Justice is not a public record because, as far as I know, they are investigating these crimes.

Investigative Consultant Ira Robins also asked me to review the thousands of pages of documents, still photos, and videos that the City of Kenosha turned over to Michael Bell’s attorneys in his federal civil suit over the death of his son. After my review of these materials, I have concluded that the shooting of Michael Bell was an intentional act that resulted from an unfortunate, unavoidable, but entirely understandable circumstance. I believe that one of the four officer’s holstered handgun got caught in the side mirror of a car during the struggle with Michael Bell. This caused the officer who’s handgun was caught in the mirror to honestly believe that Michael was attempting to disarm him. His hysterical cries to the other officers due to his mistaken belief that he was being disarmed resulted in Michael being shot in the head. This officer compounded the tragedy when he committed suicide in October 2010.

The affidavit related to my theory is included in the packet of material that I provided to all of you. I respectfully request and strongly recommend that you take the time to read it.

However, based on the thousands of pages of discovery documents that the City of Kenosha provided Michael Bell’s attorneys, the likely scenario that the Officer’s holstered gun was caught in the car mirror during the struggle was never considered nor explored as a factor in the death investigation. To this day, unless the Feds are conducting an inquiry, this likely “gun getting caught on the car mirror” theory, has yet to be officially investigated. There are only two possible reasons why the Kenosha Police Department, who were investigating their own officers, failed to traverse this avenue of inquiry.
1. Utter and inexcusable incompetence.
2. Intentional conspiracy to conceal and deceive.
With either reason, AB-409, should it become law, would prevent future instances in which a police department pre-disposed to corruption or incompetence could attempt to investigate their own officers who are involved in the death of a citizen.

My dear sister is a police officer in southeastern Wisconsin. Several years ago she shot an armed attacker in the line of duty. Recently, during one of our discussions about this bill, she told me that any police officer involved in a justifiable shoot would have no fear of and would welcome the review of their actions by the entity established when AB-409 becomes law. If I was not retired from law enforcement and was still an active officer, I would also prefer having the protection of the law to prevent a life sentence in a virtual prison for submitting to the peer pressure and participating in the crime of covering up a questionable or unlawful use of deadly force.

Many critics of this bill claim it adds an unnecessary level of government bureaucracy. I ask you and these critics these questions. Is protecting the natural right of the individual to life and liberty unnecessary? Is having a legal system where individual citizens are protected by due process unnecessary? I proclaim that critics of this bill demonstrate either inexcusable ignorance or a prince-like disregard of our country's founding moment.
Respectfully,
Russell Beckman

This message was sent by Michael Bell Team : Plea for a Change using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Michael Bell Team : Plea for a Change on Change.org: "Protect Wisconsin Families and Honest Police: Support Fair Investigations." Change.org does not endorse contents of this message.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
  #199 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
rapidcharger's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The land of broken calculators.
Posts: 1,223
Default

I have concluded that an alarming number of officers either do not know the laws, do not understand the law or how it applies, are willing to lie, violate someone's rights or arrest them for a crime they didn't commit just to show who's boss and abuse their power. They may act unprofessional, they often act very emotional, bring their personal problems to work with them or think that laws do not apply to them.

Why?

They may be incentivized for arrests.
They may feel they won't have a complaint filed against them.
Even if they do have a complaint filed against them, there won't be any real consequences for it.

Even in a dept that is relatively professional and not too corrupt, the officers will be under pressure to get bad guys, and if there are no bad guys to be found, they are not happy there is no crime taking place, instead they are upset because they will get blamed for not doing anything while on duty. Or because they get paid overtime to show up in court.

Cops should all be viewed as they will see you.... as a loose cannon. They aren't your pal, they aren't your buddy. They're armed, they have all the work drama, personal problems and childish emotional responses that human beings have and they are looking to arrest you for something and gather evidence.

Don't give them a reason and don't do their work for them by opening your mouth or consenting to searches.

Don't give them an attitude or be rude or give them any emotional response. They can use that as an excuse to arrest you or do bodily harm to you. And they most likely will never be punished in any meaningful way if they do.

It is time to stop incentivizing arrests.
Ordinary patrol cops should be unarmed.
Cops should be held to a higher standard when it comes to breaking laws. They should face double the sentence for being crimes they commit and it's time to reorganize the courts to deal with corruption.
Reply With Quote
  #200 (permalink)  
Old 01-16-2014, 8:36 PM
poltergeisty's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM
Posts: 3,341
Default

19-year-old woman calls cops for help, they smash her face and charge her with assault | The Daily Caller

Quote:
Kayla Conway called the Pevely, Missouri police department last week out of concern for the safety of her boyfriend, who had overdosed on anxiety medication. The couple recently lost a baby when Conway miscarried six months into her pregnancy, and she was on edge about her boyfriend’s health.

Police put the boyfriend in an ambulance, but an officer refused to let Conway ride along with him. His refusal soon became violent, according to Conway.

“He grabbed me by the back of my head and slammed me on the ground and dragged my head across the carpet and put me in handcuffs,” she said in a statement to local news.
__________________
Sent from my PSX emulator.

POLICING THE POLICE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions