RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > News and Events

News and Events Mother gives birth to bigfoot-like child! Africa sinks! If it happens you'll read it here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 4:02 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If true, this newspaper story seems to add a new twist to the question of the person who bought tickets for the two using stolen passports.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Natio...ed-in-pattaya/

And China is redeploying satellites to search.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...-missing-plane

Very curious story...
Old 03-10-2014, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questnz View Post
Absolutely, this have me puzzled for the last few days. After Air France disaster there are debris start floating everywhere within short period of time. Voice recorders keep emitting signal for some time after crash, but not here. Very tragic, assuming that most people have their phones turned off, some may did not, Chinese family called one phone with some degree of success. Is not that hard to narrow the Cellphone last signal location. There also US satellites sweeping oceans monitoring North Korea and nothing detected, no blast or flash. Maybe one hope and possibility is that plane with 7.5 hours fuel on board was forced to land somewhere? Bizarre !

cells do not work at Cruise Altitudes...of which this 777 was near FL 350...

only with Wifi onboard the plane will you get anything from a cell phone..... GPS in a cell only receives, unless a "Phone home" tracing app is used, but then those apps rely on Cell Tower triangulation.

aircraft was well above 2,000 AGL which is ( from what i was told by a Cell tower tech ) the theoretical maximum altitude a Cell Tower signal broadcasts to.

Whats a Profile?!?!

HELP ME!! I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT THOSE ARE!!!

Semper Fi my Marine Corps Brothers!

OOOOORAH!!
Old 03-10-2014, 9:30 PM

Location: RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the SAM

Hmmmm...
Attached Images

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 03-10-2014, 9:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In this day and age, where we can talk and send video to a space station traveling at astonishing rates around the world, why can a jetliner not transmit its coordinates every 5 minutes through a satellite? They could send altitude, direction, speed, and several other variables automatically...which would be recorded and stored for say 48 hours, for retrieval in situations like this.

I also dont understand why there are not 24/7 video camera recordings in high def, of all take offs and landings at every major airport, so in cases like the Asiana crash at SFO, we wouldnt have to rely on cell phone video taken from 5 miles away.

Such things would not be that expensive (considering they want over 1000.00 USD for a same day ticket from Memphis to Little Rock (140 miles)....I think they could afford it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM

Answer #1: it already is, how do you think these websites can track a plane live?

Answer #2: i THINK it is already done as well, but is secured for GOV viewing only

Whats a Profile?!?!

OOOOORAH!!
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapStar362 View Post
cells do not work at Cruise Altitudes...of which this 777 was near FL 350...

only with Wifi onboard the plane will you get anything from a cell phone..... GPS in a cell only receives, unless a "Phone home" tracing app is used, but then those apps rely on Cell Tower triangulation.

aircraft was well above 2,000 AGL which is ( from what i was told by a Cell tower tech ) the theoretical maximum altitude a Cell Tower signal broadcasts to.
Friend, they no longer at 35000 ft
Old 03-11-2014, 5:11 AM

Default Malaysia Airlines MH370: Stolen passport 'no terror link'

BBC News - Malaysia Airlines MH370: Stolen passport 'no terror link'

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 03-11-2014, 5:33 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Like I said this story is getting more and more puzzling by the day.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 AM

This whole thing has me LOST !

...listening to all the voices in my scanitarium...
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2014, 2:02 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Pathological, it isn't that hard to follow the links posted earlier in this thread. The AstroAswani site is as good as any. Just remember that there is 12 hours difference between ET and MYT. And crossing tje internationsl dateline bumps a day; Tu 1pm ET is We 1 am MYT. News conferences and breaking news is usually around Midnight ET.

The USA MSM muddles the stories by saying "this morning..." or "tonight..." Whose morning or night?

Look at the website dateandtime.com if you have questions on time conversion. HTH.
Old 03-11-2014, 2:47 PM

I have no problems following links, I was refering to the tv show from a few years ago. ...eerily similar...

Also, we know what type of plane (777) is missing, but I like how the media sometimes shows the Malaysian A380.

Old 03-11-2014, 4:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Now there is reports missing plane changed course, made it to country's west coast.

"It changed course after Kota Bharu and took a lower altitude. It made it into the Malacca Strait," said the official, who was not named. Kota Bharu is a city on Malaysia’s east coast

Malaysia's military investigating reports that missing plane changed course, made it to country's west coast | Fox News

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1
Old 03-11-2014, 4:35 PM

Plot thickens, phones still ringing, Missing jet cellphone mystery - asia - world | Stuff.co.nz. Maybe plane crashed in thick jungle of Malaysia, Thailand or even Indonesia. Why I suspect that somebody know something more what is publicly disclosed.
Old 03-11-2014, 4:40 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sorry, forgot about that LOST show and didn't make the connection.

I'm wondering if an MAS/DRC press conference will be held Wed Noon (MYT) or so. If the plane really flew due west, next landmass is India. As I write this, sunrise is 1.5-2 hours away. And it's going to take a significant amount of time to reposition ships.

Re the ringing cellphones, that's a function of the cellular provider service hunting for the cellphone. The caller hears the ring while the recipient's phone is located somewhere on the planet.

BTW, today Google put out a statement telling users not to use Google Maps/Earth to hunt for the plane. Seems some dim bulbs think those maps are live images, and have been sending messages to SAR authorities saying "I found MH-370..." You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited by trsundstrom; 03-11-2014 at 5:39 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 4:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

So the map gets a lot more interesting when you add a few more miles to it, including Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and more. Of course, they’d have to avoid local radar. Then again, if the plane were picked up by local radar in Indonesia, it wouldn’t have had any identifiying information, so who knows if it was picked up anew anywhere else.

More speculation:

Missing Malaysia Air flight did u-turn before disappearing
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2014, 6:36 PM

Where are all the fishing boats ? In that part of the world fishing is a primary source of income. No boats at all have seen anything ? What about oil tankers, container ships, cargo ships maybe even cruise ships around there ? Even after the Japan tsunami there was all kinds of stuff floating around, not everything sinks in water.

In this new speculation of making it to the other side of Malaysia, CNN says the water there is 65 feet deep or so. I bet many of the locals can free dive that with no trouble at all. Doesn't anyone have an ROV ?

Old 03-11-2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by questnz View Post
Plot thickens, phones still ringing, Missing jet cellphone mystery - asia - world | Stuff.co.nz. Maybe plane crashed in thick jungle of Malaysia, Thailand or even Indonesia. Why I suspect that somebody know something more what is publicly disclosed.

Honestly, does the media not know the difference between a land line and a cell phone??? They said the same thing when AirFrance went down in the Atlantic near Brazil.

Of course the damn phone is gonna ring!

POLICING THE POLICE
Old 03-11-2014, 7:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalogical View Post
Where are all the fishing boats ? In that part of the world fishing is a primary source of income. No boats at all have seen anything ? What about oil tankers, container ships, cargo ships maybe even cruise ships around there ? Even after the Japan tsunami there was all kinds of stuff floating around, not everything sinks in water.

In this new speculation of making it to the other side of Malaysia, CNN says the water there is 65 feet deep or so. I bet many of the locals can free dive that with no trouble at all. Doesn't anyone have an ROV ?
NBC Nightly News reported that it has been confirmed that the Plane turned around.

Fox News reported that is was 2:40 AM when Malaysia Military Radar detected the plane.
Old 03-11-2014, 8:12 PM
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A few days ago the local fishermen were engaged in the search, and all ships at sea were asked to keep their collective eyes open. The locals don't travel -that- far offshore. The search area has doubled and there are thousands of square miles to cover. I read/heard the black box transmitter range may only extend 50/80 km. That's a lot of grid searches.

"Turning back" can mean a host of things IMHO: a 180? uturn, a partial turn, flying west @270? true or +/- 30?, and more possiblities. I don't know if a particular compass heading has been publicized yet.

The search area can really only be defined by the potential maximum straight-line flying time for the pounds of fuel on board. That's a lot of water out there to look at.

Today one of the satellite imaging companies posted images for croud-sourced examination; their servers crashed and were up-and-down all day.

I understand that the military radar "recognizes" planes by the reflective image when transponders are off. I would think plane identification at the distances involved would be very difficult, requiring study, not to mention the problems over peeking over the horizon.

The conspirancy theorists are on the loose and the MSM runs with the lobbed softballs and "experts" they can find throughout the world. Unfortunately the media "noise" spewed out Just hurts the families of (apparently) the lost souls waiting for real news from the SAR teams.

It is a puzzle that has many pieces to be put in place.
Old 03-11-2014, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsundstrom View Post

BTW, today Google put out a statement telling users not to use Google Maps/Earth to hunt for the plane. Seems some dim bulbs think those maps are live images, and have been sending messages to SAR authorities saying "I found MH-370..." You can't make this stuff up.
idiots, thats all i can say

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsundstrom View Post

I understand that the military radar "recognizes" planes by the reflective image when transponders are off. I would think plane identification at the distances involved would be very difficult, requiring study, not to mention the problems over peeking over the horizon.
even Civilian RADAR units will still "see" the aircraft, but the transponder code will no longer read the aircrafts ID code, instead the RADAR system will label the now transponder-less aircraft as UNK = Unknown, but it will still track the plane.

i still cannot for the grace of god, find the article that the ATC person was interviewed said his display went from one sweep of the aircraft, full code and tracking, to nothing on the next.

RADAR uses a method that unless some kind of "Stealth" device or system is used - AKA "R.A.M. Coatings" you simply cannot make a plane just "vanish" off RADAR's eyes in a single sweep, which for most units in the world is only 1.5 - 2 seconds between full 360 deg rotation sweep time

Whats a Profile?!?!

OOOOORAH!!

Last edited by CapStar362; 03-11-2014 at 9:40 PM..