RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > News and Events

News and Events - Mother gives birth to bigfoot-like child! Africa sinks! If it happens you'll read it here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM

Default California highway patrol is switching from SUV-style patrol cars to sleek Chargers

Looks like the CHP is now giving up on the Ford Interceptor Utility Vehicle for new patrol vehicles. Guess they didn't work out as well as expected.

CHP is switching from SUV-style patrol cars to sleek Chargers - The Orange County Register
Sponsored links
Old 03-22-2017, 8:19 PM

As I went thru the 7 pictures, I kept hoping for a shot of the radios, or at least the front seat.
Old 03-22-2017, 9:44 PM

Should be interesting to see if they keep them after the 2 year contract is up.
As was mentioned in the article, the design of the Dodge makes them harder to get in and out of when compared to the Explorer. Our PD looked at both and decided on the SUV for several reasons, one of them because of the in/out issues.
Maybe for the CHP it's not as much of an issue as smaller local department.

Getting someone in and out of the rear seat looks difficult.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:12 PM

The Ford Interceptor takes some getting used to. Yes they are easier to get in and out of, even over our Crown Vics. Getting used to front wheel drive is a problem. Most like the space for officer's equipment, and other goodies for work.

One of the latest has twin turbo chargers. No I do not get to drive that one, rats...
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Yeah, the 3.5l EcoBoost. I have that in my F150, and it's a strong puller even in a full size crew cab 4x4 truck. I can only imagine what it does in the Explorer. I was told it was pretty exhilarating.

I was told they have a wide turning radius, but with all that power and all wheel drive, punching the throttle at the right point in the turn whips them around pretty fast.

Haven't driven one yet, and if I do it'll only be in the corp yard.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2017, 7:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracavon View Post
Looks like the CHP is now giving up on the Ford Interceptor Utility Vehicle for new patrol vehicles. Guess they didn't work out as well as expected.

CHP is switching from SUV-style patrol cars to sleek Chargers - The Orange County Register
They had no choice at the time with all the radios and equipment didn't fit in the older chargers and they had performance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Should be interesting to see if they keep them after the 2 year contract is up.
As was mentioned in the article, the design of the Dodge makes them harder to get in and out of when compared to the Explorer. Our PD looked at both and decided on the SUV for several reasons, one of them because of the in/out issues.
Maybe for the CHP it's not as much of an issue as smaller local department.

Getting someone in and out of the rear seat looks difficult.
These new 2017 chargers are build from the ground up they fix all the issue the law enforcement complain about. Does any know if they changed out the radios and went with muilt band radio, other than having multiple radios for each band?
Old 03-27-2017, 8:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
These new 2017 chargers are build from the ground up they fix all the issue the law enforcement complain about. Does any know if they changed out the radios and went with muilt band radio, other than having multiple radios for each band?
The article says that they are 2016 Chargers. They don't look different than the older Chargers my town had. Which were pretty cramped according to the officers I spoke to. The town is transitioning to the Explorer.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
Does any know if they changed out the radios and went with muilt band radio, other than having multiple radios for each band?
As far as I know, it's the setup they've been using for years. Since no one really makes a good public safety grade low band radio anymore, except for Kenwood, they pretty much have to stick with those.
Old 04-10-2017, 3:25 PM

Money had a lot too do with the change to the Chargers. They cost less per unit and they get better mileage. When you have the number of vehicles on the road that CHP does, a couple of hundred here and a couple of hundred there add up quickly. Yes there were problems with the first batch CHP tested, hopefully they have been fixed, but only time will tell.
Sponsored links
Old 04-10-2017, 3:38 PM

You loose a lot of all round visibility moving from an decent SUV to a sedan. I prefer the 'command' driving position of an SUV (or smaller AFV .
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Sooo... Hows the view from the CHP Lambos?
Old 04-12-2017, 8:52 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interesting find. Locally (to me) it's a love-hate affair with the newer Ford Interceptors. The cities seem to like them, but the rural municipalities don't. One of the common complaints I've heard with the Utility is the AWD system doesn't handle heavy cornering very well.

I generally see a mix of vehicles. Explorers are more common than sedans…but far outnumbered by Tahoes. Texas DPS has a good mix of Tahoes and Chargers right now and I've not yet heard any real complaints from them yet.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I saw one of the new Chargers yesterday on patrol in Fallbrook , San Diego County. They look sharp!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dodge Charger Pursuit Selected for CHP – RacingJunk News
Old 05-08-2017, 10:56 AM

You have to realize that Chrysler products dominated Public Safety at an even higher percentage than Ford has. Until the late 80's when Chrysler abandoned V8 rear wheel drive they had the market sewn up. For every Ford or Chevy I did a radio install there were 10 Mopar products. They had multiple car lines for all types of agencies, from the 440 Plymouth Gran Fury for highway cruising the baby Fury and Diplomat for small to mid sized cities to the Horizon for real city traffic. Not far off from what NYC uses now, a Toyota.
Ford dominance only came after Chrysler dropped their V8 cars. So now with mainly Dodge being the leader I see more dept's going back to what used to be the norm. The Crown Vic was amenic in power and did not handle well until the 2003 up model. If Ford didn't drop the CV I suspect that most agencies would never go anywhere else.
I own both the Charger and Explorer Utility and will take a Charger any day. What they specify for mileage is quite true with my Charger getting around 22 MPG and the Ford about 18 MPG. Multiply that by 5-600 cars and that's quite a gas bill.

Quote"One of the common complaints I've heard with the Utility is the AWD system doesn't handle heavy cornering very well.

I wouldn't think so considering the Explorer is a good 6 to 8 inches higher than a Charger, and the stability control is a little overcompensating.

As far easy access/egress and size look at what other agencies around the world use as patrol cars, they are spoiled here in the US.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That's probably a regional thing as in Mass., it was mostly Fords and Chevys. Now it's mostly Fords. Contrary to the CHP, the MA State Police have almost all Explorers now. They had a few Chargers for evaluation some years ago, but the complaints were that they were cramped.

Many of the local PDs have the Explorer as well, although there are a few Tauruses mixed in as well. My town is moving away from the Chargers to the Explorers and they were one of the few towns that had Chargers.

The rap on Chrysler products has always been that the brakes sucked. I remember several years ago that an Intrepid evaluation unit had a brake caliber fire from over heating.

As I said, it's probably regional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2001 View Post
You have to realize that Chrysler products dominated Public Safety at an even higher percentage than Ford has. Until the late 80's when Chrysler abandoned V8 rear wheel drive they had the market sewn up. For every Ford or Chevy I did a radio install there were 10 Mopar products. They had multiple car lines for all types of agencies, from the 440 Plymouth Gran Fury for highway cruising the baby Fury and Diplomat for small to mid sized cities to the Horizon for real city traffic. Not far off from what NYC uses now, a Toyota.
Ford dominance only came after Chrysler dropped their V8 cars. So now with mainly Dodge being the leader I see more dept's going back to what used to be the norm. The Crown Vic was amenic in power and did not handle well until the 2003 up model. If Ford didn't drop the CV I suspect that most agencies would never go anywhere else.
I own both the Charger and Explorer Utility and will take a Charger any day. What they specify for mileage is quite true with my Charger getting around 22 MPG and the Ford about 18 MPG. Multiply that by 5-600 cars and that's quite a gas bill.

Quote"One of the common complaints I've heard with the Utility is the AWD system doesn't handle heavy cornering very well.

I wouldn't think so considering the Explorer is a good 6 to 8 inches higher than a Charger, and the stability control is a little overcompensating.

As far easy access/egress and size look at what other agencies around the world use as patrol cars, they are spoiled here in the US.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote"The rap on Chrysler products has always been that the brakes sucked. I remember several years ago that an Intrepid evaluation unit had a brake caliber fire from over heating.

Really old news 10+ years ago, you want other problems from past PD cars how about Fords exploding gas tanks, or their power steering pumps that would fail while in pursuit or the plastic intake manifolds that cracked next to the alternator. Each brand has had growing pains while trying to get the cars lighter, you sacrifice metal and plastic doesn't behave the same. Chevy's have had brake problems too, the trick is to get the right compound that doesn't fail or is too sticky resulting in premature wear. The best PD car out there WAS the CVPI, it was based on a platform that was 20 years old, all the kinks were ironed out by the time of it's demise, but it still was a slow car that handled so so.

CHP from what I remember was always Chrysler right up to the discontinuance of the Diplomat in 1989.

Quote"That's probably a regional thing as in Mass., it was mostly Fords and Chevys.

Again that's modern times you go back 25 to 30 years ago even Mass was all Chrysler. Saw many of them while station at Otis AFB.

NYSP also was all Chrysler up to 1989, even the bosses cars we Chrysler. They even had "K" cars for the BCI .
Old 05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

The current rap is the trannies on the chargers unless they finally fixed them. Less then 4 years and they failed.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2017, 9:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
The current rap is the trannies on the chargers unless they finally fixed them. Less then 4 years and they failed.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Wonder if those Charger transmissions are built up at Kokomo or Tipton transmission plants?