Shelby Hamfest for 2008 Cancelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wanted to attend the SARC meeting last week to hear all the stuff going on, but mom went back in the hospital so I went to see her. So far it is not canceled, but there is nowhere in the area they could hold it to the same standards as usual, mainly because of all the motorhomes who show up a week or two early. Sad, really sad.

http://www.shelbyhamfest.org/

Last edited:
SHELBY HAMFEST IS ****NOT**** CANCELLED !!!!!!!!!

please go to the SOURCE for info, the shelbyhamfest website....and look at the shelby newspaper online for coverage....a forum like this is no place for rumours and 'i heard that'......fact check first and when in doubt, Google.....anything less does harm to the hamfest, in whatever form it exists this year.

Barefootdipole

PS:any chance the admins can change the thread title to add the word "NOT" before Cancelled ????

Grog

Banned
barefootdipole said:
any chance the admins can change the thread title to add the word "NOT" before Cancelled ????

Lighten up Francis, he did put a question mark after that :D

ScanDaBands

Banned
Grog said:
Lighten up Francis

:D Yes Driiiiiiiiiiiiiill Sargent !!!! :D

not to hijak the thread but a classic line ...................almost as good as "I'm ya huckleberry" :)

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
No Need to Change the Title

barefootdipole said:
SHELBY HAMFEST IS ****NOT**** CANCELLED !!!!!!!!!

barefootdipole said:
PS:any chance the admins can change the thread title to add the word "NOT" before Cancelled ????

As Grog pointed out in a previous post, there is no need to change the thread title. I formed the thread title with a question mark icon followed by the question "Shelby Hamfest for 2008 Cancelled?"

I stand by my original intent to 1) find out if the hamfest would end up cancelled, and/or to 2) gather information for all interested on this board concerning the famous event and its possible relocation, etc.

My apologies if the thread title misleads anyone.

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
FireCop said:
I just noticed a message at the Tarheel Scanner & SWL Yahoo Group about this year's Shelby Hamfest. Has anyone else heard this or know of any updates? Check the link below for the message.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tarheelscanner/message/2467

First of all I do not know either. I cannot understand why the County or State is not managing the fairgrounds there. I believe I am correct.:mad:

Oh well. I am waiting to here the latest too.

Sam Cederas
k4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

Grog

Banned
K4OC said:
I cannot understand why the County or State is not managing the fairgrounds there.

The county owns it, but hired an outside company to run it. It's really simple, and I can see no reason why the state should have anything to do with it.

I attended the Cleveland ARES meeting tonight (they are about 98% SARC members) and from what I heard, they are still looking for a suitable location but it will not be the fairgrounds, no chance, not going to happen.

As a local, I check their site every other day and I will update this when anything new comes up.

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
The county owns it, but hired an outside company to run it. It's really simple, and I can see no reason why the state should have anything to do with it.

I attended the Cleveland ARES meeting tonight (they are about 98% SARC members) and from what I heard, they are still looking for a suitable location but it will not be the fairgrounds, no chance, not going to happen.

As a local, I check their site every other day and I will update this when anything new comes up.

I dont understand why you say "It's really simply". I thought the outside vendor is the problem.
Anyway thank you for passing along what you heard and saw at the meeting. A big thank you !!

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

Grog

Banned
Simple in the fact that the county owns it, but does not want to run it so they hired someone to do it for them. It's getting common for that now as it clears the county out of any "issues" anyone has with the way things are ran.

I am not sure if the woman in charge of this (the people who run the fairgrounds) was there last year, but it's clear she wants nothing to do with the hams or the hamfest. I have no idea if she has something else planned for the fairgrounds that weekend, might explain why she was only wanting to give the hamfest half the space they usually get. I just hope whatever it is that it brings in enough money to make up for the hamfest or she might be looking for work next year.

With this, well the county is getting lots of feedback from the hams as well as the businesses who are going to loose at least $500,000 for the weekend.

I hope the Shelby club is able to get the hamfest somewhere just as nice, personally I think it should be in Gaston County (on the east side of them) because Gaston is a much more populated county, is closer to I-85 and therefore 77 & 40, plus it would show that if Cleveland County didn't want the money from all the thousands of people staying there, then they might as well give it to someone who would love it :twisted:

....the above rants are mine and mine alone, I am not a resident of Cleveland County, a member of any group in Cleveland County, just an observer from the outside.

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Grog said:
....the above rants are mine and mine alone, I am not a resident of Cleveland County, a member of any group in Cleveland County, just an observer from the outside.

Grog thank you so much. I live in Raleigh so insight from you is invaluable....almost as if I was there !!! :lol:

Thank you for your postings here. I went to Shelby approx. 10 years ago and have not been back since. Not because I do not want to....usually because I did not want to get up early enough to get there !!

Thanks again!

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

Shelby Hamfest Moves to Dallas, NC (Gaston Co)

according to the latest news on the www.shelbyhamfest.org hamfest site, the SARC voted friday to move the 2008 hamfest to Dallas Park in Dallas, NC ( Gaston County).....same Labor Day Weekend....details to be finalized.

the Shelby Star newspaper covered the move in their Sunday edition and called the new location Biggerstaff Park (aka Gaston County Park)....

more details will come out as the date approaches....but the bottom line is that the Labor Day Weekend SARC Hamfest is ALIVE and WELL....just MOVED !

Good news all around....

Barefootdipole

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Barefootdipole that is great news to hear! Thanks for the posting and link! :cool:

And should I get to go it will be closer too!!! :)

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Thank you BFD !!! I am letting my friends know.

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh ,N.C.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
If it is to be held at Biggerstaff Park, it would appear the the hamfest will have to be a scaled-down version of those held at the Fairgrounds.

Biggerstaff is basically designed for athletic activities, with ball fields and tennis courts. There appears to be an ampitheather, a few coveraged picnic areas, etc.

It does not appear, according to the map on the Gaston County Parks website, that were is much in the way of indoor vendor space. It also doesn't appear that the park is open to campers / motorhomes ... which might impact the outdoor flea market area.

http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/ParksAndRec/dallas.HTM

http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/ParksAndRec/maps/ParkatDallas.pdf (location map)

It will also be interesting to see how the ham club restricts access to the hamfest to attendees with a ticket, as the park is a public venue with multiple activities going on during the daytime ... particularly during Labor Day weekend. It's possible they might require a ticket for the dealer areas only, and leave the flea market area open to the public.

On the "plus" side, the park is easily accesible from Hwy 321 - and only a few miles from I-85 (exit 17). There are several fast food places nearby for meals. There are several motels within 4-10 miles of the Dallas exit on Hwy 321.

ki4rvh

jeffmulter said:
It does not appear, according to the map on the Gaston County Parks website, that were is much in the way of indoor vendor space. It also doesn't appear that the park is open to campers / motorhomes ... which might impact the outdoor flea market area.

I'm not familiar with the park but it was posted on another site by a club member that there are RV sites available and they are working on more between now and then. They seem to be working things out and I'm looking forward to going.

Chris

CalvinNutler

Grog said:

Wouldn't happen to be an observer from the Rutherford Co. side would you?

pboy

CalvinNutler said:
Wouldn't happen to be an observer from the Rutherford Co. side would you?

No, he's from The Far Side, if you have ever seen that cartoon series.

Status
Not open for further replies.