"Challis" on 121.5, 24 Apr

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickrode208

I am in Onslow County, N.C.
Does any one know what was going on around 4:10 pm local Thurs on 121.5 ?
Heard Challis calling "... this is Air Force...", "...unidentified aircraft at coord: 3420n/07526w..."
Responding unit not heard here. Apparently ID'd with location of 3425/07525,
USCG 2006.
2006 informed by Challis "... two fighters inbound yr location - 16 miles out..."
Now all units switch to 228.9 and joined by Huntress.
Then Pitman ( ? fighters ) up with Challis ( am able to hear some of Pitman's comms)
Challis with Pitman = Pitman 531 & 532 inform that "... it is a C130, white with orange...".
Comms with Huntress, Challis, Pitman and CG continue -
mention of " SD ", " surface to 15,000 ".
Other freqs mentioned/used - 139.7 & 291.6
On 291.6 mention of "...Giant Killer aware..."
4:17 pm ="...Pitman RTB..."

This was heard on a Pro 97 with an RH77CA, Diamond 15" whip directly top mounted on scanner; from my front porch.
Started out inside from armchair!
Wonder what the pucker factor was for CG 2006 ?

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure what was going on. I do know however that a friend called me at work to ask me if I had my scanner with me one day I thought was last week. He said there was some National Guard exercise going on and there is a lot of activity.

I do not recall what day this was. I am in Raleigh. Just food for thought. Not sure if it is related...just thought I would pass it along.

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
I heard USCG doing live fire training on Tuesday (I think). They made announcements every thirty minutes on marine ch 16 that all boats should maintain atleast a 2 nautical mile radius from (gps coordinates). I was picking this up in the Southport area.

Status
Not open for further replies.