159.09 MHz: County Jail freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_wilkes

Monitoring 159.09 MHz, there's a lot of radio traffic early in the morning, around 6-7am, using lingo that sounds like it might be a prison or jail. Mostly quiet after 7am. PL tones detected are BOTH 136.5 and 203.5. I am located in Wilkes County, NC, and the only clue I have is an FCC data search that shows Caldwell County has a license for 159.09 Mhz, noted as "County Jail".
Anyone else monitor this frequency? Is it local govt or state/federal? What about the dual PL tones? RadioRefernce data shows Caldwell Sheriff on 159.09, but using 151.4 PL.
Thanks,
Albert in Wilkes

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Al - Look at the thread I started on the SC Forum the other night. This will answer some of your questions:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115909

I have not heard any of the jail traffic coming over the 136.5 tone side of the repeater, although I do scan that side of the WRC repeater also. You might be catching WRC officers trying to use the repeater for unit-to-unit communications.

Caldwell County has used 159.090 at its facility, although I have only heard it while working in that county. It's a low power repeater out at the county building ... Hwy 18 going out of Lenoir towards Morganton. My last log entry for it was in 2004, though, and I think they were at the old facility then. The channel was being used for maintenance, the food service, etc.

I have to question the listed PL of 151.4, though ... I have them as using DPL 116., but I might be wrong, or they may have changed the tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.