Banner Elk vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The wife and I have rented a cabin near Banner Elk for a vacation in a couple of weeks. Is the frequency information in the RR database accurate? (Avery County, right?) Most stuff seems to be VHF high band, what are the most active frequencies for police and fire? What does the state Highway Patrol/state police use in that area? Anything else of interest not listed in the database?

Thanks to all.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Like most mountain counties, Avery is fairly rural so there won't be constant radio traffic. But, here are the most active frequencies:
155.280-Avery EMS and Rescue dispatch
154.445-Avery Fire dispatch
155.625-Avery LEO dispatch
42.620-NCSHP dispatch

Also, keep in mind 155.280 isn't repeated and is used by several surrounding counties, so use tones if you only want to hear Avery EMS/Rescue. Mitchell, Watauga,McDowell, Burke, Caldwell Counties in NC and Johnson County,TN border Avery County, so you may want to plug those frequencies also depending on what you like to listen to. Happy monitoring!

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, NCF. Looks like it won't take me too long to program up the scanner for the trip!

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
Banner Elk Vacation

You might want to check out the file section of Yahoo group carolinascanner. I place a spread sheet of Avery County stuff there a while back; title "avery.xls."

Status
Not open for further replies.