Great Smoky Mtns. National Park Freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4yek

Just a curious question for all of you. Over here in TN I hear the Park rangers just fine, but all communications I hear are from this side of the mountain. I know the repeaters are linked but I never hear anything from your side of the mountain. What freqs do you use over there to monitor the rangers?
Thanks in advance.

trumpetman

Database Admin
It's worth a try

I'll take a look into it, I've never really been interested in the Park comms....but it'd be something else to explore. Is there anything in specific you're curious about that will help me start searching?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If your in the Asheville area sometimes you can hear the GSMNP fine and other times its hard to get them... Depending on weather.. If you have a good ant set up say.. a tower mounted one then its better. All the listings fro them on the NC State page under federal are up to date, and current. Your more likely to hear them the closer you are to the actual Park. I monitored them fine from just outside Asheville, all the way to Knoxville, TN when I moved from A'ville to Indy. Enjoy! BTW, has Asheville actually started usage on the VIPER, I noticed they have TG's listed now.?

trumpetman

Database Admin
I'll keep an ear out still for TN related traffic, I've picked up a few rangers checking in and what not, but not that much chit chat regarding incidents in the park from NC or TN.

As for VIPER, I haven't noticed anything, SHP hasn't even started using it yet (minus the far western counties). One of the other members stated a lil while back that they were still wrapping up getting the 800 mobiles in the cars. Asheville SHP cars are still using the Asheville Public Safety TRS and the rest are still relying on Low Band.

n4yek

Thanks guys,
I can hear them very easily, I only live a few miles from the park border. I hear everything from Cosby hear on the east end to Cades Cove on the west end. I never hear any traffic from Cherokee area or anything on the other side. I do hear them say they will contact the other side, but never hear them do it or ever hear anything on any freqs. I was just curious and would be grateful if you guys post those freqs so I can see if I can hear them here or not.
Oh, btw, station '700' is the main calling station over here. (just for reference)
Again thanks and sorry for bothering all of you.

trumpetman

Database Admin
You're not bothering anyone...or me at least. These forums are for asking questions and learning things from others. Thanks for the heads up on the 700 base...I've heard them call 800 loud and clear in Asheville...but I think that was a mix up with WRC rather than GSMNP Rangers. Are you monitoring the same frequencies that are posted in the NC Federal page? Since they're linked apparently?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Just for reference... 700 is ususally always the dispatch call sign for federal park systems... same for Natchez Trace, GSMNP, BRP.... :) Oh btw BRP is supposedly going digital in 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Danny
I use to hear all the Rangers on 169.950 but since they have gone APCO-25 I hear little to nothing.
I pick up some from 167.150 from the rangers in Bryson City over in Deep Creek and in Cherokee at the Visitors Center. But Other than that nothing to brag about.

Now I still pick up a Ton from the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's rangers here all the way over her in Franklin. NC. They come through clear as a bell on 167.175. There dispatch come in clear from Asheville. Do you pick them up at all ?

Let me know back when you have time

n4yek

Hey Danny
I use to hear all the Rangers on 169.950 but since they have gone APCO-25 I hear little to nothing.
I pick up some from 167.150 from the rangers in Bryson City over in Deep Creek and in Cherokee at the Visitors Center. But Other than that nothing to brag about.

Now I still pick up a Ton from the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's rangers here all the way over her in Franklin. NC. They come through clear as a bell on 167.175. There dispatch come in clear from Asheville. Do you pick them up at all ?

Let me know back when you have time

I will check and let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for the input.

GSMNP Frequency updates

Just happen to run by RR and catch the updates for the park. Has anyone loaded them up and caught anything ?

I'll be putting them in this afternoon and will post any chatter

n4yek

Just happen to run by RR and catch the updates for the park. Has anyone loaded them up and caught anything ?

I'll be putting them in this afternoon and will post any chatter

Yes, I am the one who submitted them. I have a thread in the Tennessee forum that asked for others to submit the info to the thread so we could update the listing. http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122312
Some freqs I can't hear from my area, but others monitor them on the other end of the park.
Example: 167.15 I can't hear from Cosby, but when you are in Cades Cove, it is the strongest signal.

Thats why I started this thread here in the North Carolina forum, I never hear traffic from that side of the mountain, only this side here in Tennessee.

Last edited:

wcu02mpa

I travel frequently from Asheville to Knoxville......My better half lives in Knoxville. I can hear 700 and the park in analog and digital; some nights they are really busy and they stop everything in sight. Almost no traffic tonight though. In Asheville I can hear a few park freq's but mostly hear 167.175...Blue Ridge Parkway cops (The chief actually lives in my neighborhood) and they are really busy right now. LOTS of motorcycle tickets getting written and lots of Motorcycles losing them as well. Their dispatch is "800". I am in K-ville this weekend but will log some federal stuff and give exact freq's. when I get back.

Blue Ride Park Way

I have been picking up the parkway on Analog. But funny thing that it is a federal agency just like GSMNP . I thought all Fedearl agencies were all going P-25?:confused:

Bolo ?

Just wonder in anyone heard the BOLO for the Black Jeep Cherokee from Blue Ridge Parkway communication ?

The reason I am asking is that I was out in the yard with my hand held BC72XLT.

I am 5 or 6 miles north of the Georgia Line on hwy 441 south.

It came in Super Clear !

Just Checking ?

wcu02mpa

Picking up digital

Since I got my Pro-197 I did a search in the federal range and have picked up 172.500. It is digital and the comm center is 700. I am pretty sure it is park LEO, but not sure where geographically this channel is used. When i am in Knoxville I hear the same thing in 169.550....digital and park LEO. The 172.500 booms in in east Asheville. The new Pro-197 has really clear digital audio.....I highly recommend it.

Mike

Pretty sure that's it !

Thanks for the post ! Yea, I'm pretty sure you have locked in on it.
The 700 base to the best of my knowledge is located just behind the Sugarlands Visitors center on the Tennessee side of the smokies. Just as you leave Gatlinburg and get into the park .

I think n4yek can be a little more specific of the location as he lives very close on the TN side of the park . But 700 is the main Park communications.

Also just asking how you like your Pro-197 ?

I'm thinking of asking Santa for a Digital Trunking Scanner. But would like your thoughts on it when you have time!

wcu02mpa

Pro-197 is it

According to another thread......see below, RS is honoring the F&F coupon through the 14th. The 197 is on sale through tomorrow. That means one day to take advantage; again this is second hand info. I will be at RS tomorrow morning to verify this. Upgrading to the 197 is like going from a regular Mustang to a Shelby GT-500 Mustang. Seriously it is worth it if you live in a metroplitan area, or rural area that may have digital trunking. It will take some time to get proficient with it, but using the software also helps.

Mike

"I just purchased a Pro 106 today and they acepted the F&F 30% coupon. According to the clerk they have extended the cut-off for the use of the coupon, in other words RS is giving the 30% off for as long as they are honoring the 10% companion coupon for a on-line order"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.