Traffic Patrol listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
Hi all. I have enjoyed listening to Traffic Patrol on 450.5875 in the RDU area for years. Now I have noticed they are not there anymore. Does anyone know what has happened to them? They provide a tremendous resource by providing detailed traffic reports for the RDU area and I for one miss them!!

Sam Cederas
K4OC
Raleigh, N.C.
:(

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Memories of my old stomping grounds :cool:
I was the Head voice (or Head ass depending on who you ask) of that repeater for 4 years from around 2000-2004...we had so much fun in the days when we were TPB (Traffic Patrol Broadcasting owned by Bill Jennings)...things started to go south when we were bought by MetroNetworks/Westwood One....they started taking all the fun out of the job and started "downsizing" our fleet of reporters (they called it "streamlining" of course)....Westwood One/Metro has pretty much run that operation into the ground...sad really....at one time we had Myself ("Marshall Law"), Mike Coats (who still does weekends at Mix 101.5), Bryan Bliss (who still does traffic for News 14 Carolina), John Champion (who did traffic for awhile at News 14 Carolina), "Vanna Fox" (who I believe is still on Mix 101.5), Ben Alexander (the voice of traffic for K97.5FM for many years), and many others...damn it seems like forever ago...anyway, I have reached out to some of my former coworkers about the ol' 5875 repeater and will let ya know what I find out....
Happy Monitoring,
Marshall KE4ZNR

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I, too, was employed there for a time in the very beginning, 1987 I think, wow I feel old! That was back when I did mid-days at 93.9 WZZU!

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
In Charlotte traffic reporting is all done with public safety scanner radios, DOT traffic cameras, and citizen cell phone reports. Correct?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> In Charlotte traffic reporting is all done with public safety scanner radios, DOT traffic cameras, and citizen cell phone reports. Correct?

Mostly correct, but the folks who do traffic for WBT and its FM sister station do also rely on callers to the 52 ROADS phone line for alot of tips and updates.

My understanding is that Chuck "Roads" - I believe his last name is actually Neally - also operates a package delivery service out of a building near Tyvola and South Blvd., so the delivery people also serve as his eyes and ears. Look for the building with the Channel Master antenna and STL on the roof.

There also used to be a traffic reporter that used his vehicle as a mobile office to handle reports for one of the Charlotte stations. Besides the scanners and two-ways, he had several phones running hot during the morning and afternoon rush hours. I don't know if he is still in the business, but I sure wish I could multi-task like he had to.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
"Mostly correct, but the folks who do traffic for WBT and its FM sister station do also rely on callers to the 52 ROADS phone line for alot of tips and updates."

Jeff that's what I meant by citizen cell phone reports. I always thought Ray Masardis was a catchy name, as in Rama Rd and Sardis Rd.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Sorry, Hamstang. I was between REM periods when I commented.

I only go that way a couple of times a year, but I'll be passing through the Rama / Sardis intersection this morning - enroute to do some work at Charlotte Christian School. Hopefully no incidents from that intersection this morning !

khubbard

they closed up shop. my dad taled on there every morning and he told me the other week about them.

mikeeeey

get a wireless video scanner

You can see video from the news helicopter , go to youtube.com/trafficwatcher
i found some good video but i wasn't near it but it transmitts good video and can be viewed ok?

Don_Burke

Memories of my old stomping grounds :cool:
I was the Head voice (or Head ass depending on who you ask) of that repeater for 4 years from around 2000-2004...we had so much fun in the days when we were TPB (Traffic Patrol Broadcasting owned by Bill Jennings)...things started to go south when we were bought by MetroNetworks/Westwood One....they started taking all the fun out of the job and started "downsizing" our fleet of reporters (they called it "streamlining" of course)....Westwood One/Metro has pretty much run that operation into the ground...sad really....at one time we had Myself ("Marshall Law"), Mike Coats (who still does weekends at Mix 101.5), Bryan Bliss (who still does traffic for News 14 Carolina), John Champion (who did traffic for awhile at News 14 Carolina), "Vanna Fox" (who I believe is still on Mix 101.5), Ben Alexander (the voice of traffic for K97.5FM for many years), and many others...damn it seems like forever ago...anyway, I have reached out to some of my former coworkers about the ol' 5875 repeater and will let ya know what I find out....
Happy Monitoring,
Marshall KE4ZNR
The Metro Norfolk office fed our stations when Westwood One bought them.

Later, I worked for them and became Assistant Director of Operations for the Norfolk office.

Westwood One finally drove me out in 2006. That put me back in this cluster.

The word is that they are closing even more offices and will have traffic anchors working at the clusters with admin from a few central locations.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Finally had a chance to catch up with one of my former coworkers and I was told basically that Metro/Westwood One has decided to continue the "Less is more" aspect of Traffic Reporting and is relying ONLY on scanner traffic and not relying on people actually verifying traffic situations heard over scanners...so since no one is out on the roads then there is no reason to actually use the repeater...sad really...I understand the economy is what it is but Westwood One has gutted and destroyed what was once a wonderful traffic reporting business....
Marshall KE4ZNR

qball

Premium Subscriber
Westwood will be regionalizing its operations by mid-2009 and will be closing up shop in Charlotte and other NC/SC markets. They are moving the regional traffic operations to Atlanta no later than June.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Westwood will be regionalizing its operations by mid-2009 and will be closing up shop in Charlotte and other NC/SC markets. They are moving the regional traffic operations to Atlanta no later than June.

Yeah, the info I have says basically the same thing....which is a shame because you CANNOT cover Central NC Traffic from Charlotte or even worse Atlanta....I understand times are tight and you have to survive but this is not the way....Metro should just close up shop in NC if they are not even going to be in the freakin' state....I knew this day would come and I am glad I was able to leave when I could...as I said above Westwood One has decimated and destroyed the old Traffic Patrol Broadcasting I knew and loved....
Marshall KE4ZNR

kd8x

"Mostly correct, but the folks who do traffic for WBT and its FM sister station do also rely on callers to the 52 ROADS phone line for alot of tips and updates."

Jeff that's what I meant by citizen cell phone reports. I always thought Ray Masardis was a catchy name, as in Rama Rd and Sardis Rd.

I'm on the roads in CLT during rush hour morn and night and WBT traffic reports are very unreliable. I have heard them call for accidents at a certain exit ramp for an hour after they have actually been cleared. You can't depend on them at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.